boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, in my long life,I have seen steel barrels in sizes from 36 gal to 55 gal. and that's not counting the aluminum ones that have held beer ( commonly refereed to as kegs). In my early days, the steel ones were called drums. There use to be a guy around here years ago that sold barrels with lids that he purchased and washed out. I think they originally contained syrup, molasses or a form of sugar. He is gone now. I am looking for two to use in construction of a wood burning 2 drum heating system. Guess I will check out the grain store.

When thinking of OIL, don't limit your thoughts to motor fuel. Most plastics are made of OIL. That covers a lot of items from clothing to most parts of the computer, pad, or phone you are now using. And think of all those tires. That drop in oil price should translate to a lower cost of just about everything, but you know it probably won't. The rich industrial owners will just stash more in there billionaire bank accounts. Frank

PS Remember my prediction for this year, that oil will average in the 30"s/bbl
Frank try looking / calling any food processing plants. I've gotten some from a place that makes stuff like salad dressing stuff. Only drawback is they all smell like rotten tacos even after washing. Also check with any cleaners, they get their stuff in 55s you have to be careful there a lot of the soap they use is real caustic. I'm sure you've already thought about it, but if you build a heater / stove especially using used drums give it a good burn outside so you aren't burning off the residue & paint inside. Oh! if you find a feed & grain store, don't try the galvanized halfs used for water or feed troughs!!! A neighbor tried it for a barbi. It looked awesome, but his whole family got sick from the galvanizing giving off fumes & they gathered under the patio cover.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I understood exactly what you meant! We're in the same boat! BTW anyone seen the paddles? Ithink I've got you beat! You've got natural skills, I've got way more years experience & practice! :tongue3:

Hey boogeyman.... Don't be hogging the stupid.

Frankn... I can buy 55 gal. steel (clean) drums at my local county trash hub. I believe there about $15.00 ea. Just an idea to look in too.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One more trike pic...

trike_v_6.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey boogeyman.... Don't be hogging the stupid.

Frankn... I can buy 55 gal. steel (clean) drums at my local county trash hub. I believe there about $15.00 ea. Just an idea to look in too.
It's not hogging!!! I've earned all this stupid and I've got the scars to prove it! :laughing7:

Man! I'd like to see that around here. Around here, they act like the trash is gold plated! If they see you pick something up off the ground they go all panicky. Think I'm kidding? I put my trailer spare under the tailgate to unload. When I threw it back in the trailer a guy comes running over and says I've got to put it back. Told him I did and drove off. Another one at the gate had to look in the trailer to make sure.......... Believe it or not I've etched my name & phone # on the back of my trailer wheels in case they get ripped off and recovered. Didn't think I'd have to prove ownership at the dump.:BangHead:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not hogging!!! I've earned all this stupid and I've got the scars to prove it! :laughing7:

Man! I'd like to see that around here. Around here, they act like the trash is gold plated! :BangHead:

Hey... it's not all roses around here either at the dump. We have a small trash dropping hub real close to my home here (3 miles away). The main one is 15 miles away. I have an old 98' Chevy truck that we throw our trash bags into. When it gets full (level w/bed) I go to the dump. I pull up one day to the close hub. Guy there says "We can't take all that here". So I start arguing and ask how much can "you take". He says "Half that"... "that's all we're allowed". Not a problem..... We unload 1/2 and I leave. I go to store next door, pick up some beer and go right back to dump hub. He says "I told you only 1/2". I just said "Do I need to come back a 3rd time". He unloaded me laughing.... never had that problem with him again. He laughs every time I pull up.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sometimes humor gets you. Into places!

We have to produce ID to exchange our broken recycling bins!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey... it's not all roses around here either at the dump. We have a small trash dropping hub real close to my home here (3 miles away). The main one is 15 miles away. I have an old 98' Chevy truck that we throw our trash bags into. When it gets full (level w/bed) I go to the dump. I pull up one day to the close hub. Guy there says "We can't take all that here". So I start arguing and ask how much can "you take". He says "Half that"... "that's all we're allowed". Not a problem..... We unload 1/2 and I leave. I go to store next door, pick up some beer and go right back to dump hub. He says "I told you only 1/2". I just said "Do I need to come back a 3rd time". He unloaded me laughing.... never had that problem with him again. He laughs every time I pull up.
Also, if you live in Phoenix, it costs you $20 if you don't have a copy of your water bill to prove you live in the city.:icon_scratch: And they wonder why everywhere you go out in the desert there's piles of trash everywhere :laughing7: Chalk that one up to city planning.:icon_thumright:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, if you live in Phoenix, it costs you $20 if you don't have a copy of your water bill to prove you live in the city.:icon_scratch: And they wonder why everywhere you go out in the desert there's piles of trash everywhere :laughing7: Chalk that one up to city planning.:icon_thumright:

First of the year I hear there doing that exact SAME THING here. My son took a truckload in last week and was told this. You have to show a "water bill". Took plate number and said next time we'll need it. He PURPOSELY asked... "What about just a drivers license?". They said "Nope... gotta have the bill". I guess we're going to have some fun real soon when I go in. First off I don't have a "water bill" because I have a well living in this rural area. I pay $90.00 p/yr as a homeowner in this county to have unlimited access to this facility. I could show an electric bill easily.... but here's the question?

What if I showed somebody else's water bill how do they match it up with an individual (me) without going to the drivers license???? Even if you showed an electric bill it's the same thing.... How would they match it up? My license plate is up to date and it carries the county in which it is registered. I'll make the next run.... and if this comes up it's gonna be fun. I'm not gonna carry utility bills around to use a service I've always paid for on time. Stay tuned..... :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm totally confused (seems to be a theme with me lately!)

Our electric company just sent notices, our electric rates will increase 21.8% October 1, 2017, except small business and large industrial users (their rate decreases ???).

And 6 months after that an "additional change" in our electric bills will be made.

We have to contact them or go to a public hearing for "more specific bill impact" information.

Last year the electric rate increased 50%.

With the price of oil dropping maybe they should start using it again to generate electricy, instead of robbing the consumer. :banghead::mad:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My electric bill is also going up and I am within 5 miles of the nuclear power plant and a hydro electric dam. Frank

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! Just one rip off after another with no stopping in sight!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas in Orlando, $1.67 for regular and I paid $2.09 for high test last fill up.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a trash business and every several years they raise rates and say its because gas prices are up. This year the rates went up 20% and gas is down. When I ask why the reason for the increase, they get quiet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still $2.10

1.jpg

must be Rock Bottom they will allow us here :(

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess our local gas price is tied to the cost of their vacation homes! Lol!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of the year I hear there doing that exact SAME THING here. My son took a truckload in last week and was told this. You have to show a "water bill". Took plate number and said next time we'll need it. He PURPOSELY asked... "What about just a drivers license?". They said "Nope... gotta have the bill". I guess we're going to have some fun real soon when I go in. First off I don't have a "water bill" because I have a well living in this rural area. I pay $90.00 p/yr as a homeowner in this county to have unlimited access to this facility. I could show an electric bill easily.... but here's the question?

What if I showed somebody else's water bill how do they match it up with an individual (me) without going to the drivers license???? Even if you showed an electric bill it's the same thing.... How would they match it up? My license plate is up to date and it carries the county in which it is registered. I'll make the next run.... and if this comes up it's gonna be fun. I'm not gonna carry utility bills around to use a service I've always paid for on time. Stay tuned..... :dontknow:
The only thing I can think of is (my assumption) if you pay for water you own. If you rent, you can go suck rocks. A few years ago one of the neighbors went through the whole neighborhood and asked if he could fill everyone's trash bins up the rest of the way. The city made a big deal about it until a lot of us started writing in asking if this petty stuff was what they really spent our tax dollars on. Then every trash can had a red ticket on it with it added on that basically your trash can was for your trash only!?!?!? About ten of us drew the one finger bird on them & handed them to the trash driver. I don't think the guy had been more embarrassed in his life. Actually felt sorry for him. Irks me to no end that I'm funding blatant stupidity...........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And speaking of water bills........how about the people of Flint, Michigan being sent water bills when it's now common knowledge that the water from their taps is contaminated with lead !! Talk about "chutzpah" !!
Don.......

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And speaking of water bills........how about the people of Flint, Michigan being sent water bills when it's now common knowledge that the water from their taps is contaminated with lead !! Talk about "chutzpah" !! Don.......

Yea... you got that right!!! What about a responsible person who prides themselves on paying bills on time. What a position there now in... how bad. If you don't pay your credit starts to take a knock and if you do you can't even use the service your paying for... What a catch 22 situation.

I'll make my dump run on this upcoming Tues. or Wed. As a homeowner here in this county I have to pay $90.00 p/yr toward waste management for the county and pay my yearly property taxes. I pay both on time. Now I'm told I have to bring a paid water bill with MY name and address on it. This isn't gonna fly. And I most certainly am not going to rotate any paid utility bills in and out of my truck. And... They ought to have a list of all folks who's paid their fee and ask who I am. I was told they won't review a drivers license so they can't match ANYBODY to a shown "paid bill". I hope they don't make a federal case out of this because I don't like this kind of crap at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread