Ok... is my MD broken or what!!!???

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
I've been hunting about a year total time and I have never found silver. Best coins I've found are a few wheat backs. Don't get me wrong - I've found LOTS of really, REALLY cool stuff (i.e. wedding bands, WWII Medal), but I can't believe I've never found any silver. By the volume of silver in some of the "Today's Finds" posts it seems like some get their machine out of the trunk, walk 20 feet, trip over their shoelace, and stumble into a hole with silver in it! I see people finding 1-5 silver coins in a day and I can't get even one in a year?

I do a great deal of research, hunt really old schools and parks, dig some sloppy signals, run with DISC in a low setting.... what gives? Is my White's Classic II just not a good silver machine? Like today I was noticing that I am pulling 2006 pennies from a depth of 2-3 inches. If you extrapolate that depth over time, wouldn't a 1912 coin in the same area be around....75 inches deep? LOL

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think this is about the coolest hobby in the world, and I am mostly into the historic element of it, so I'm getting a little discouraged. Ideas?

Upvote 0

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knocking Whites cause I used them for years (6000 Di and the XLT ) and found many silver.

I have upgraded to Minelabs and have gone over many areas that I have hit with the Whites and I will say that I have pulled out many signals that I missed.

I just encounter a guy that had over 40 hours of hunting in with a DFX at an 1884 church yard about 200 ft by 200 ft area.
He pulled silver out but thought that he cleaned the area out pretty good.
He asked me to try the area with my Etrac and in 15 minutes time I had 2 signals that he could not hear. They turned out to be a 1930 wheat and a 1934 wheat.
So a machine makes all the difference.....

JUST my opinion

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
DP Bob, you're exactly right. That's happening here where I'm at too, for the last several years now: tired sorry worked-out deep-turf spots (stately old parks, schools, etc...) seem to give up more to the Explorers. In some cases, you can really tell the difference over flagged signals, where the explorer just seems to "belt it out" much cleaner and consistently. I was dragged "kicking and screaming" away from my whites, after I just couldn't dispute the side-by-side results any longer. There are machines that might go as deep, but they don't retain the TID to the deeper depths. And for turf (where you might need to be a little more selective) those subtle TID clues, can make the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread