The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok white's guys(gals)...dfx,mxt or m6???

have my next machine narrowed down to these or possibly an xterra 70.....i am leaning heavily towards the m6...i mostly am interested in coinshooting/jewelry/beach with a smidgen of relic thrown into the mix...what's you opinions? the m6 is basically an mxt without the bells and whistles and i am told a superior auto ground tracking system. i have a bhid and am impressed with the depth and how hard it 'hits' on a good target so that is one plus for the dfx...would love to hear your opinions. been at this now off and on for 15 years and recently got hooked on the hobby all over again. i want a machine with an excellent tid display and prefer the trigger style pp of the whites....i also would love to have something that gives 3 tones...low for iron, medium for tabs/aluminum/gold and high for coins. are any of these deeper,faster in target response or better at discrimination than the others
thanks
bone

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Re: ok white's guys(gals)...dfx,mxt or m6???

"Bone", I have owned a DFX since Sept 15th, this year. I really love it. I have
owned other machines (names to be with held) in the past 25 years. The DFX
is the most expensive machine I have ever owned.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with it compared to anything else I've
ever owned. Not that they were not OK, but the DFX is just in a different
class. As your probably aware, it may not be for everyone. It does have a
learning curve to it. You have to be patient, read alot and practice, practice,
practice.

However, I can tell you that since I got my DFX, no exageration, and I have not
hunted everyday by any means and I only hunt a couple of hours at a time, I
have found over (250) coins, (3) rings and some relic items in the Kansas City
metro area. I also found two weeks ago, while hunting with "warsawdaddy"
in Warsaw, MO a 1865 two cent piece. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I hope this helps and if you want more info on the DFX, feel free to (PM) me.
Doug (blklab)

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT

Don't get this wrong, The DFX is a good machine. But if your looking for a machine with a little easier learning curve, you should go with the MXT.
And YES, It will go as deep as the DFX. The main word is LEARN the machine. The more you use it, the better you get with it. That's with all machines mind you. For the price and the way the MXT performs, IMHO the MXT would be the better chioce.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Sniper

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

MXT !! You have the option to use it for 3 different types of hunting. And if you decide to go with the DFX or the M6, you can use the same coils as the MXT uses.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

I would go with the XLT over all of them! I sell for White's and call tell you I use the XLT and have for over 11 yrs...

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT

Don't forget that some people might have a limit on what thet can spend. For the price and the performance, I got the MXT and I'm glad I did.

Sniper

Redfoot

Jul 12, 2006
Nashville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Ace 250

I bought an MXT and really like it. When I find something with the 9.5 coil it's right there. I have a ACE 250, but found it hard to pinpoint. The MXT is right on. I am only fairly new to this and haven't done alot with other machines. I just wanted to let you know that the MXT is user friendly and I like it alot.

Sarge

Dec 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites XLT

ALL of those detectors are great machines. I feel the DFX is more versatile & has more features. You can't go wrong with any of them, though. Like it was mentioned - you can add the XLT to the mix. I kept my XLT when I bought my DFX & it still finds many deep targets. I use it mainly as a guest machine & I let my neibor use it the other day when he was off of work. A few minor changes to a factory stock program & he started finding coins immediately, one was a clad dime at 7".

It all depends on how much you want to spend. From the very first detector I ever owned I would do research on several detectors, decide how much I had to spend, save up money for a few months & buy the one that was higher than my original price range. Doing that I owned an Eagle Spectrum, an XLT & now the DFX. I was never sorry for the extra outlay of money.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

I love the MXT hands down. My husband has a M6 and loves it (I don't) those extra perks the MXT gives you DOES matter. Other than trying out the DFX I don't know much about it except it has a heck of a learning curve. I have the stock coil with my MXT and the 4.6 coil. I love that little coil! Good luck in your decision.

Willy

I think that a lot depends on your ground and what kind of hunting style you like. I've had an MXT & M6 and currently own an XTerra 70. For anything but prospecting, I'd say that the XT70 would be the detector to get. The MXT is IMHO a much better nugget shooter due to the superior ground tracking system in conjunction with the Vsat. When it comes to coin/ring/jewelry hunting, the XT70 is a more flexible detector and a person can hunt strictly by tone; the MXT & M6 gave me a neck-ache from always watching the meter. Also, the notch disc. really helps in getting rid of trash signals, as well as knocking out low iron 'wraparound' signals that read as high coin. One major advantage of the White's detectors is the coil selection. The XTerra series is pretty crummy in that regard (Where are the big coils?). Can't say much about the DFX, save that I'd love to have one. ..Willy.

Steve G.

Feb 4, 2007
Dallas Oregon
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3

I have owned all three of the Whites and I currently am using the MXT 300. It suits me just fine. But that's just me. Both the MXT and the M6 are pretty straight forward machines. I did really like the tone id on the M6. The DFX is a great machine; I just didn't use all the extras and I kind of like knobs to turn. If I had to do it over again, I would have just gotten the straight MXT with the 9.5 coil. It is a really good match and you can always pick up a used 12" coil if you want to try it. I would save the money and buy a good used MXT and then try and get a DX-1 probe for it. Lot's of coils to choose from out there too. We have really crabby soil out here and the whites machines seem to handle it well. I have tried many machines and just kept coming back to White's. But that is just me. There are a number of really nice detectors to choose from out there.

ikes4ever

Nov 27, 2007
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1000 and DFX

I ve had my DFX since march. I bought a 5 month old machine from my local White's dealer. only other machine I ve ever used was a mid 80's coinmaster 1000. nothing more basic than that. I was orginally in the market for an M6 but got the DFX for a very good deal. I hunt salt water beaches and never had a problem. I love it I use the presets all the time and it couldn't be simpler. I also know I will never out grow the machine for when I become a vetran hunter.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks for all the input!!! i have 5 months to mull it all over

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally I'm presently using the X-70 and really like it. I sold my MXT to get the X-70. Just wanted to try something different. However, the MXT is a very good machine and you certainly couldn't go wrong with it. The MXT with the 6x10 coil was just a coin magnet!!!!

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

IMO

The M6 is absolutely the way to go. I had a DFX for about a year and found some nice things with it. But I often worried what I might be missing if I didn't have all the settings exactly right. I feel the DFX is so complicated that it sort of wrings the fun out of the hobby. (If you want to see what I mean, find the DFX manual online, read about the procedure for maximizing depth and be amazed/horrified). Imagine going out in the field, your buddies are already finding goodies and you're messing around with this complicated routine trying to maximize your depth - CRAZY!!!

Now I turn on my M6, do a quick ground balance check and I'm on my way! I find every bit as much with it as I ever did with the DFX and just as deep as anything I've ever found with the DFX. I know what the few controls do, so I have confidence in the machine unlike anything I ever had in the DFX. Pinpointing is unbelievably accurate, depth is very good, coil selection is very good, price is right, the seven tones allow my brain to notch out the junk.

Absolutely a great detector. I shudder at the thought of ever having to use a DFX again.

I don't know much about the MXT. I've heard it only has two tones. The seven tones on the M6 keep from having to spend so much time glancing at the display.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Phillip_in_NM said:
IMO

The M6 is absolutely the way to go. I had a DFX for about a year and found some nice things with it. But I often worried what I might be missing if I didn't have all the settings exactly right. I feel the DFX is so complicated that it sort of wrings the fun out of the hobby. (If you want to see what I mean, find the DFX manual online, read about the procedure for maximizing depth and be amazed/horrified). Imagine going out in the field, your buddies are already finding goodies and you're messing around with this complicated routine trying to maximize your depth - CRAZY!!!

Now I turn on my M6, do a quick ground balance check and I'm on my way! I find every bit as much with it as I ever did with the DFX and just as deep as anything I've ever found with the DFX. I know what the few controls do, so I have confidence in the machine unlike anything I ever had in the DFX. Pinpointing is unbelievably accurate, depth is very good, coil selection is very good, price is right, the seven tones allow my brain to notch out the junk.

Absolutely a great detector. I shudder at the thought of ever having to use a DFX again.

I don't know much about the MXT. I've heard it only has two tones. The seven tones on the M6 keep from having to spend so much time glancing at the display.

the m6 is what i will be getting...the mxt has 2 programs that i will never use (prospecting and relic)...besides, with vdi numbers you can do what you need to anyway...plus the 7 tones are a plus....actually i would like only 3 (low-mid-high) but that is just me

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

I own a DFX and am comfortable with the "techie" aspects of it. I'm almost done buying a used M6 from a friend who has no MD time, but that will be my machine for guests / site owners.

You can see that the DFX, MXT, XLT, and M6 have dedicated followings (plus some people chimed in about non-White's units despite the fact that this is a White's forum and you asked about White's detectors, seems a bit beside the point).

I'm glad you have some time to consider. If you do your "due diligence" to see which one suits you best, you can't go wrong with one of these 4 fine detectors. One side-issue in the DFX and MXT's favors is that Jeff Foster has written books for both. His most recent one is "The MXT Edge". Dedicated DFX users consider his "Digging Deeper with the DFX" to be an absolute MUST-HAVE item (mine's in the car all the time, even in this off-season). I'll bet his MXT book will boost the MXT users' success to a similar degree.

For the record, my suggestion would be the DFX, as you'd expect.
Happy Hunting with whatever great [and U.S.-made.. and backed by the best Customer Support in the world] White's weapon you pick!

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT

Don't buy into the brand wars man, its all a mtter of how well you know your machine.

I own an xlt and it runs awesum i can run it wide open and stabilize with the touch of a few settings, same with the dfx, etc. its all a matter of how well you know your machine and how quick you can tweak the settings, just remebering what everything does takes a lot of time to learn
im sure ive gotten about 600 hours on this machine this summer and it only takes me about 2 minutes to tweak for a site, every site is different and the conditions are different , there is no magic turn on and go if your really trying to get the most depth ALL THE TIME, sure if your combing the beach a push and go will do.
As for the dfx its an almost identical machine and all the settings are in the same place and format , it does have a few nice extra features.
I am also thinking about buying a fisher f75 as my parntner has had one for about a month now and i am impressed with the performance of that machine, despite the few quality issues poeple have been complaining about it gets more depth than the xlt and the dfx. it does some efi issues but if you want the extra depth its a give or take, listen to a bit of extra noise here and there and get a few items you would have missed by turning down the gain.
DTM

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Since you have the time...I'll chime in...

I've had my DFX for about a year and yes...it is somewhat technical. But like someone stated...tweaking sites gets easier and easier.

And I do have the "Digging Deeper With the DFX." Awesome book.

There are still issues with the detector I need to learn. Some settings that you may never use...but I'd still like to know about them.

I still like taking out my 6000DI Pro when relic hunting.....I dunno...I have history with it, I like it..found tons of stuff with it....but the DFX has kicked up old silver dimes in places heavily hunted...

I got the DFX because of it's versitility. I may not always be a relic hunter or a coin shooter...I may go some place one day and want to hunt nuggetts...so why limit myself to a machine with a narrow range?

The DFX is just a very customizeable machine.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread