Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: ok white's guys(gals)...dfx,mxt or m6???

Phillip_in_NM said:
IMO

The M6 is absolutely the way to go. I had a DFX for about a year and found some nice things with it. But I often worried what I might be missing if I didn't have all the settings exactly right. I feel the DFX is so complicated that it sort of wrings the fun out of the hobby. (If you want to see what I mean, find the DFX manual online, read about the procedure for maximizing depth and be amazed/horrified). Imagine going out in the field, your buddies are already finding goodies and you're messing around with this complicated routine trying to maximize your depth - CRAZY!!!

Now I turn on my M6, do a quick ground balance check and I'm on my way! I find every bit as much with it as I ever did with the DFX and just as deep as anything I've ever found with the DFX. I know what the few controls do, so I have confidence in the machine unlike anything I ever had in the DFX. Pinpointing is unbelievably accurate, depth is very good, coil selection is very good, price is right, the seven tones allow my brain to notch out the junk.

Absolutely a great detector. I shudder at the thought of ever having to use a DFX again.

I don't know much about the MXT. I've heard it only has two tones. The seven tones on the M6 keep from having to spend so much time glancing at the display.
Philip...You are right on .....And the MXT is just about a turn and go detector also i dont like the DFX , XLT or the Explorer they are all super good detectors but not for me. To much tweaking and fooling around i just want to hunt........

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Just to confuse matters :icon_scratch:, you should also look into the 6T. Whites has a video on their web page that will give you a good idea of what it looks like:

http://whiteselectronics.com/content/view/4654/497/

I use the XLT and like it very much. Very versitile unit. Not too good on the wet sand unless you install custom program to get around the (salt) mineralization of the wet sand. Otherwise it is a great unit.

Ray S

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I own and use a DFX, and I really don't do a lot of tweaking with the controls. I basically turn on and go and I love it. I've found a lot of stuff deep. Like any machine though, you have to learn what it's telling you.
It's like a child you have to care for it and actually listen to what it's telling you, if you ignore it, you'll miss the best parts

gw1952

Nov 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, E-TRAC

You will not be sorry if you choose the MXT. There will be a time when you may want to hunt in the prospecting mode for deeper targets. However for finding different targets get the DFX, the tone ID on is great 195?? different tones. You are buying a high end machine use it. It does have a longer learning curve than the M6or MXT but its not hard. Start in coin or coin and jewelry mode and you will be able to advance rapidly. There are only a few settings that you need to know about and don';t worry about the rest.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

D F X DEEPER LOUDER AND WAY SWEET TO SWING i used one yesterday and found a merc dime in my yard i dug it out of a whole that i hit with my bounty hunter last week about six inches deeper and the original hole was 4-6 inches deep.WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO DFX 300.

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ray S ECenFL said:
Just to confuse matters :icon_scratch:, you should also look into the 6T. Whites has a video on their web page that will give you a good idea of what it looks like:

http://whiteselectronics.com/content/view/4654/497/

I use the XLT and like it very much. Very versitile unit. Not too good on the wet sand unless you istall custom program to get around the (salt) mineralization of the wet sand. Otherwise it is a great unit.

Ray S
nothing in the prizm line really does too much for me

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself

Jim_K said:
Phillip_in_NM said:
IMO

The M6 is absolutely the way to go. I had a DFX for about a year and found some nice things with it. But I often worried what I might be missing if I didn't have all the settings exactly right. I feel the DFX is so complicated that it sort of wrings the fun out of the hobby. (If you want to see what I mean, find the DFX manual online, read about the procedure for maximizing depth and be amazed/horrified). Imagine going out in the field, your buddies are already finding goodies and you're messing around with this complicated routine trying to maximize your depth - CRAZY!!!

Now I turn on my M6, do a quick ground balance check and I'm on my way! I find every bit as much with it as I ever did with the DFX and just as deep as anything I've ever found with the DFX. I know what the few controls do, so I have confidence in the machine unlike anything I ever had in the DFX. Pinpointing is unbelievably accurate, depth is very good, coil selection is very good, price is right, the seven tones allow my brain to notch out the junk.

Absolutely a great detector. I shudder at the thought of ever having to use a DFX again.

I don't know much about the MXT. I've heard it only has two tones. The seven tones on the M6 keep from having to spend so much time glancing at the display.
Philip...You are right on .....And the MXT is just about a turn and go detector also i dont like the DFX , XLT or the Explorer they are all super good detectors but not for me. To much tweaking and fooling around i just want to hunt........

Since when is the Xlt difficult? :icon_scratch:

It has 5 turn on and go programs.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I don't do much tweaking with my DFX, I mostly just GB and go, and it works for me.
I figure as I get used to using it, I can tweak a little here and there and not have to worry about upgrading for quite a while JMO

Sniffer

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro

The thing I like most about my DFX 300 is it does find deeper targets in places I've hunted over and over with my other detectors. I made my own custom program and love it. It's nice to have the ability and versatility to make changes for any situation. Like the others said you probably can't go wrong with any of the others. MXT, M6. XLT. But if you can afford it I say go for the best. DFX 300.....

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Before I purchase the M6 I would purchase the 6T. The only draw back on the 6T was a smaller coil. We should have one in the early Spring. The 6T is every bit as hot as the m6. Plus more user friendly & lighter.

R-bass

Dec 28, 2008

Go with the M6 set it and forget it with power and simplicity to boot plus get the 5.3 eclipse BAM>>>>>>>>>there you go

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

Love my MXT. I have had it for 2 years now and I am finding stuff in areas I have hunted to death with my older detectors. Very easy to use.
Dan

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I use a DFX (since it first came out), my main complaint is that it will not dig up the coin and clean it for you....hopefully they will take care of this defect.

VTDFX

Mar 18, 2009
Rupert Vermont
Detector(s) used
whites DFX/IDX PRO

I own two whites detectors a idx pro and a dfx love them both. but the dfx is quite amazeing once you figure it out. Takes a little time but it is worth it.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

I sold my DFX and bought a Minelab SE Pro. My SE Pro will find targets in my coin garden that my DFX could not find. I'm not knocking Whites, but the DFX requires many settings/tweaks to make it operate correctly and it won't find what the SE will.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

MXT Is the ticket I love MINE and the Price is right, and a hunting fool .. GUZZ1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MXT :thumbsup:

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202

I bought an MXT last year, I looked at the DFX and decided to use the extra money for a DD coil. I change the coils out quite a bit between one site to the next. It makes a huge difference. In trashy areas, that little coil has been the difference between a few coins, and a pocket of oldies. I'm very pleased with the MXT so far. I usually run mine in relic mode with the trigger forward, unless I'm hunting for iron relics I just check the VDI on the high tones and roll on through the iron. It really sniffs out the coins well, as said already, the more you use it, the more you can get it to do. Seems like the more I use mine, the more I'm amazed at what it's finding......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread