Old Chinese coin?

coolio

May 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Well I went to an old area around my place on Friday. Found lots of interesting stuff, but I wanted to see if anyone knows what this really is. I thought it was a medallion of some kind but my Chinese friend said was an old Chinese coin. Could be worth money or could be a fake. Those were his words. It was about 4.5 inches down. I went on line and couldn't find a coin like it.

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

Any help with this would be great. Regardless what it is, its very nice looking so I'll clean it up and keep it.

Upvote 0

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats a nice find. I cant tell if its japanese or chinese lol they look the same to me. Im sure someone can help you with that 1. nice lookin coin wherever it came from

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I have never seen a back like yours, but most of these you find are genuine. Yours looks newer. I have found 3 now that all date to the 1800's or before. The Chinese built many of the railroad systems across the country and millions of these coins came to the US. I found a genuine coin the other day that had been lost in the last week at a local park, here is the link to that post: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101516.0.html
Keep finding...Ryan

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
The coin is common.Love the dragons, nice find.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:D Its a Chinese coin. Most coin shops sell them by the pound so don't think they have much value to them. Still its a nice find and worth keeping in any collection. HH and keep a digging

Desertfox

V3 SNIPER

May 2, 2007
toronto
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2 pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the same one i got it for free at new years from the Mandarin Chinese restaurant...

B

BIG61AL

I am leaning towards a modern reproduction. I have never seen a Chinese coin with the dragons on the back. Every single old Chinese coin I've seen had some degree of wear, yours, except for the corrosion looks just minted. Most genuine coins were bronze. Yours look like it has a different base metal underneath the top layer which leads be to believe that it is plated.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
BIG61AL said:
I am leaning towards a modern reproduction. I have never seen a Chinese coin with the dragons on the back. Every single old Chinese coin I've seen had some degree of wear, yours, except for the corrosion looks just minted. Most genuine coins were bronze. Yours look like it has a different base metal underneath the top layer which leads be to believe that it is plated.

Agreed... It's a reproduction, probably used in coin example pack.

The little speckled dots on the obverse are not characteristics of the original coins.

Anything other than mint marks on the reverse signifies at the very best an authentic Chinese token - but... if you research the site eric gave you you'll find yours too be a modern reproduction. :(

OP
OP
coolio

coolio

May 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your help. I thought it was in to good of shape to be authentic. But theres always hope.

It sucks that the mandarin was giving them out. The coin just lost its luster

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread