Old Class Ring with the new 6T!!

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T
Met up with a couple of hunting buddies after work today. We went to some old woods that have produced some great finds in the past. After hunting for a half hour and finds 1 penny I started to get frustrated. Then I found the Harris & Co, New York button [thumbsup] Looks old but can't find any info on it to date it. Any help would be great!! Next I found the Ring. It was really deep and I think I may have been the one to break the back part. It is a class ring from Adelphi Academy Brooklyn NY with a date of 1869!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! I don't know if that is the date it was made because the school was founded around that year. The woods are old enough to support it being that old but can't say it is definitely that old. Maybe someone could use that Jewelers mark on the back to help me figure out how old it is. I am gonna check some sites i know and see what I can come up with!! Either way I was thrilled and got that first silver with the new detecter out of the way!!! Gotta say lovin the 6T so far!!!! Had a great time hunting with Steve and Ray!!! [cool] [cool] [cool] O yeah .24 in clad [thumbsup] BTW do you think I could redeem this cap I found still??? lol
Thanks for looking and HH Don

Just Found what I was Looking for!!! I found this info on wikipedia about the school emblem and it changing through the years.

"The first school seal was developed with the foundation of the Adelphi Academy in 1869. Essentially, it was the current seal with several differences. First, the legend read "Adelphi Academy" and "Brooklyn, New York". Second, the letters in the emblem were "AA". Third, the eventual school motto, "The Truth Shall Make Us Free" did not appear. The motto was introduced in the second seal with the foundation of the college in 1896. At this time, the legend was changed to read "Adelphi College", the letters "AA" were changed to "AC", and the new date of foundation was introduced. The third seal removed the year 1869 from the emblem, reflecting the separation of the Academy and the college in 1925. The fourth seal was introduced in 1930 and changed the legend "Brooklyn, New York" to "Garden City, New York". The fifth and current seal was introduced in 1963, reflecting the school's University status. The legend now reads "Adelphi University" and the letters are "AU". The inscription Vita sine litteris mors est, meaning "Life without learning is death", appears on all variations of the school seal."

Link to the page I copied the text from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelphi_University About half way down under the heading School Seal. [thumbsup]

This Means the Ring was made between 1869 and 1896!!!!!!! (Is that Right???) [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool]

Here's a similar ring being sold on ebay but this ones from 1923. http://cgi.ebay.com/1923-Antique-ST...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

DSC02667.jpg

DSC02668.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody420

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Sweet old Class Ring with the new 6T!!

rammjäger said:
@ notgittinenny,
where did you get that horse ? ;D :icon_scratch:
I just googled animated avatars, and he showed up, so I lasso'd 'im........NGE

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

CAP BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neat ring. I voted banner as well. You don't see them that old very often.

tr snyper

Dec 29, 2008

A lot of old rings like that aren't actually from that date. The date is when the school was founded. That style could have been used through many years. If it was inscribed and you researched who's it was you could then actually date it to the year. I have an old gold one like this. Not the same school but the same style. Nevertheless it's still a nice find and isn't a newer ring
Steve A

OP
OP
woody420

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

tr snyper said:
A lot of old rings like that aren't actually from that date. The date is when the school was founded. That style could have been used through many years. If it was inscribed and you researched who's it was you could then actually date it to the year. I have an old gold one like this. Not the same school but the same style. Nevertheless it's still a nice find and isn't a newer ring
Steve A

Your right about the possability of the ring not being from that year thats on the ring....But if you read the text I found about the school (at the top of the post found from wikipedia) and the seal that they used through out the years and when it changed shows it's age. The seal style on the ring I found was only used from 1869-1896. So it's most likely from that time period. I am going to contact the school and see what I can dig up!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
woody420

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

Detectingfreak said:
very nice job on the old sterling silver ring!!!! :)
Thanks all!! I'm still all amped up about the find and plan on going to the school its from and see what they have to say!!! Maybe I'll donate it to them to put on display!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pulltabsteve

Apr 22, 2006
Suffolk County, Long Island

Congrats Don!!!!!! That sure is a sweet ring. Let me know if you go to the school. I'll go with you. Maybe we can get permission to detect the school :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This has got to be on the BANNER!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
woody420

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

pulltabsteve said:
Congrats Don!!!!!! That sure is a sweet ring. Let me know if you go to the school. I'll go with you. Maybe we can get permission to detect the school :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This has got to be on the BANNER!!!!!!!!
Thanks Steve!! Your more than welcome to come to the school with me and that would be awesome if they let us detect the grounds!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome find!!! I voted for the banner too... :thumbsup:

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D

All of your finds are great. I would have to say that the ring is the ultimate winner and loved the additional research you provided on it too. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

hey don that is an awesome find :icon_sunny: congrats on the new machine i know how much you wanted it will talk soon

dylan

OP
OP
woody420

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

dgaughan said:
hey don that is an awesome find :icon_sunny: congrats on the new machine i know how much you wanted it will talk soon

dylan

Thanks dylan!! Santa hooked it up!! Gotta go hunting again soon!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread