Old Class Ring with the new 6T!!

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T
Met up with a couple of hunting buddies after work today. We went to some old woods that have produced some great finds in the past. After hunting for a half hour and finds 1 penny I started to get frustrated. Then I found the Harris & Co, New York button [thumbsup] Looks old but can't find any info on it to date it. Any help would be great!! Next I found the Ring. It was really deep and I think I may have been the one to break the back part. It is a class ring from Adelphi Academy Brooklyn NY with a date of 1869!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! I don't know if that is the date it was made because the school was founded around that year. The woods are old enough to support it being that old but can't say it is definitely that old. Maybe someone could use that Jewelers mark on the back to help me figure out how old it is. I am gonna check some sites i know and see what I can come up with!! Either way I was thrilled and got that first silver with the new detecter out of the way!!! Gotta say lovin the 6T so far!!!! Had a great time hunting with Steve and Ray!!! [cool] [cool] [cool] O yeah .24 in clad [thumbsup] BTW do you think I could redeem this cap I found still??? lol
Thanks for looking and HH Don

Just Found what I was Looking for!!! I found this info on wikipedia about the school emblem and it changing through the years.

"The first school seal was developed with the foundation of the Adelphi Academy in 1869. Essentially, it was the current seal with several differences. First, the legend read "Adelphi Academy" and "Brooklyn, New York". Second, the letters in the emblem were "AA". Third, the eventual school motto, "The Truth Shall Make Us Free" did not appear. The motto was introduced in the second seal with the foundation of the college in 1896. At this time, the legend was changed to read "Adelphi College", the letters "AA" were changed to "AC", and the new date of foundation was introduced. The third seal removed the year 1869 from the emblem, reflecting the separation of the Academy and the college in 1925. The fourth seal was introduced in 1930 and changed the legend "Brooklyn, New York" to "Garden City, New York". The fifth and current seal was introduced in 1963, reflecting the school's University status. The legend now reads "Adelphi University" and the letters are "AU". The inscription Vita sine litteris mors est, meaning "Life without learning is death", appears on all variations of the school seal."

Link to the page I copied the text from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelphi_University About half way down under the heading School Seal. [thumbsup]

This Means the Ring was made between 1869 and 1896!!!!!!! (Is that Right???) [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool]

Here's a similar ring being sold on ebay but this ones from 1923. http://cgi.ebay.com/1923-Antique-ST...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

DSC02667.jpg

DSC02668.jpg

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: Sweet old Class Ring with the new 6T!!

That ring is one awesome find man! Other stuff is neat too, but the ring takes the :occasion15:

Congratulations

Chris

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an awesome class ring and probably the oldest I have seen! The break looks old with some wear on it, doubt you broke it. Nice finds and HH, Mike

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Awesome!!! are you gonna try to find the owner! lol congrats

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love that old class ring! What does that inscription say? Monty

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you going to return it to the owner? :D

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse

Yes the ring is the boom I just voted for it as banner,. very nice

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's Awseome....I didn't even know they existed as far back as that.Very,Very Nice.....Cap Dart's "were" cool :thumbsup:

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW,

Great find, love the ring, good luck with hunting the owner down if it was an 1869 class ring!! Maybe a family return! All in all awesome find and congrats!!

Crackbadger

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

GREAT FIND. NICE RING FIND. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
woody420

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

Thanks everyone for the nice reply's!!! I am still excited about this find!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the date on the ring!!! Too bad there is no name on it or I would try to return it to the family. The only thing it says is the front "Adelphi Academy Brooklyn NY 1869" And on the inside "Sterling" with the Jewler's mark which I can't find anywhere in any hallmark sites. It looks like a K and something wierd below that. Any help on the hallmark would be AWESOME.

Thanks for looking and HH Woody420

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice finds, schweet ring. One thing I have noticed about silver and some gold rings, if they were ever sized or re-sized, if you dig them out of the cooler ground and put them in your pocket, the warmth will make the ring split where it was sized. Because of the solder that was used on the silver rings was attacked by fertilizers and it has also crystalized, that makes it brittle in that area. Sorta like heating a marble with hot water then rapidly cooling it.....Crrrrrraaaccccccck!........NGE

stormfighter

Mar 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
DFX

Great finds,Nathans is still there,I had lunch there this summer while detecting Coney Island Beach.I would like to see the look on their faces when you cash it in. DAN

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

why isnt this on the banner !!!!!!!!!!!!

R

rammjäger

@ notgittinenny,
where did you get that horse ? ;D :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread