OLD coin...only cleaned a small portion, should I keep cleaing it?!?!

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky

Attachments

• 1800\'s coin.jpg
    1800\'s coin.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,146
Upvote 0

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
PBK said:
Well, since you're in Kentucky, I'll guess that it's this c. 1850 trade token issued by Taylor & Raymond of Louisville, KY,
and that the "SHIN" is part of the surrounding lettering "GENTLEMAN'S FURNISHING / STORE."

The token was brass, about the same size as a large cent, and had the same wreath design on the reverse, but with the words, "NOT ONE CENT / BUT JUST AS GOOD."

(Sorry, no pic of the reverse.)

How on earth did you come up with THAT? :o

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian said:
PBK said:
Well, since you're in Kentucky, I'll guess that it's this c. 1850 trade token issued by Taylor & Raymond of Louisville, KY,
and that the "SHIN" is part of the surrounding lettering "GENTLEMAN'S FURNISHING / STORE."

The token was brass, about the same size as a large cent, and had the same wreath design on the reverse, but with the words, "NOT ONE CENT / BUT JUST AS GOOD."

(Sorry, no pic of the reverse.)

How on earth did you come up with THAT? :o

Most likely called.... get this.. a reference book. :D

If you have enough of them even people like me can sometimes look smart. :thumbsup: (not intended to imply anything towards PBK.. good ID)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also add experience and plain ole gut feeling play a big role in IDing. It looked like a coin but didn't seem to match so my initial feeling was towards token, but I'm not familar with most US tokens and have no books on the topic. That was about the point I fell on my face and all the wrong theories started. :D

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
def cleann it with a dremmel tool i bet it comes out nice Very cool find indeed

piratesgold

Apr 29, 2008
CT
Detector(s) used
White's M6
The US mint issued a 20 cent piece for only like 5-10 years in the mid 1800's, that was silver, And looks to be about the size with a similar design of an eagle on the reverse. If seated liberty is on the front, its very possible that this is a 20 cent piece or seated quarter.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
the eagle looks different, but there are a few hard times token designs from the late 1830s that have a phoenix and the inscription "substitute for shin plasters." the photo is of one i found a coupla weeks ago.

Attachments

• img074.jpg
    img074.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 375

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Iron Patch said:
Most likely called.... get this.. a reference book. :D

If you have enough of them even people like me can sometimes look smart. :thumbsup: (not intended to imply anything towards PBK.. good ID)

Yes, but even with a pile of books he had scant little to go on.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
HEY! I appreciate the responses guys. I took the picture with my camera phone so its not that great. I haven't touched it since the picture, but I'm thinking of cleaning the rest of it. If it is a token from the 1850's, is it worth anything?

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
grogmug said:
If it is a token from the 1850's, is it worth anything?

The c. 1850 Taylor & Raymond token that I posted lists for $10-15 in Very Good to Fine condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread