old copper reads different than lincoln pennies?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
They do hit different, but you will still know it is a good target. Some of them, depending on how long they have been in the ground will sound off right above Screwcap for me on the SE.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Garrett 550 an indian hits hard just below Lincolns on my screen.aa

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I havent hunted with any of the detectors you use though I can comment on the XLT and EX II and where they read IH's. The XLT would read IH's about the same as a modern clad zinc penny. I use the smartscreen when hunting with the EX II and have found that most deep IH's appear on the top left side of the clear portion of the screen and a little lower than a clad coin, though they can jump around all the way to the right and a few lines lower, depending on the depth. Another interesting thing is that, shortly after discovering this, I starting digging A BUNCH of early wheats that have obviously been in the ground a long time that read in this area. EARLY IH's, the first minted, had more of a nickel composition (aka faties) and read as JUNK!.

NOW, this applies to coins that are relatively shallow, say under 6 or seven inches. On the EX II the old deep pennies, both IH's and wheats, will jump around anywhere from the top left of the screen to almost halfway down the right side of the screen. The trick to this "bounce" is that it occurrs in kind of a triangle pattern and will hit the proper ID about 1/3 of the time. With the EX II this type of signal is like finding a can of food in your kitchen without a label, it could be peaches or it could be spinach, you never know til you open it up. Point being that old dimes and pennies both do this at depth (I'm talking about 8 plus inches here). The XLT will not ID deep pennies well at depth. I've compared the same signals that I have found with the EX II on my XLT. Deep copper pennies below about 6 or 7 inches read CRAPPY with the XLT.

The bottom line is that your discrim does not read properly, on any machine, the deeper you get. The readings at depth are different than a shallow coin of the same denomination. Some guys claim that they can hear the difference in discrim mode. I never got to that point with the EX II, though I could tell in pinpoint mode on the XLT if a target was likely a deep coin.

Either this helped or you are now more confused.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread