OLD CROSS

coldstone543

Mar 19, 2005
While hunting a construction site near the canal area of middletown ohio with my whites 6000 di series two detector I found an old cross.This cross is interesting with a man two woman and a bird on it. It measures two inches tall and 1 and 1/4 inches wide. Any help on the history or ID would be greatly appreciated.Thanks and good luck hunting.It appears to be made of brass and there are no markings on the back.

Attachments

• 100_0228.jpg
    100_0228.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 326

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Cold,

nice find.

Hard to tell from your photo,

def. looks like a religious medal.

The bird would represent "The Holy Spirit."

A man and two women?? Would bet that one would be the Virgin Mary; second could be St Ann,(Marys mother) What you could have could be a 4 way medal, although most are 5 way.(5 characters).

Looks old.

You mentioned a canal. If it was dug in the 1800's it could have some Irish background.

Good luck in trying to I.D.

have a good un.....

Upvote 0

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
is there anyway you could give me a better description of where you found it? like cross streets, ive pulled up some info on the area and would like to help in any way possible.

Upvote 0

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Catholicism wouldn't be my field of expertice by any means. But let's take a wack at it...

The dove is the Holy Spirit, yeah...
The guy at the bottom, does he have a cloak on? In the picture, that's the way it looks to me. Could be St. Christopher? I don't actually know who that is, but I've seen a few meddalions and it's like a guy in a cloak? That's a seriously wild guess, I really don't know.
I can't tell anything else from the photograph. Other than the three people and the dove, what else is on there. Obviously the light rays behind the dove...are those vines going up the middle?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions