Old indian hatchet! Found at estate sale

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this Indian hatchet today at an estate sale. Anyone know if it's real or worth anything?

image-400633509.jpg

image-4117337448.jpg

image-4003492787.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to post this in North American artifacts forum, those guys can probably help.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Very nice ! Looks authentic but should be examined by experts . It's old but I bet it's post 1900 , indians used and made them years before that but the handle looks to be something you'd see on a newer one . If authentic I think it should be in a Museum . Sounds like I'm Indy Jones ... but a piece like this does belong in a place where it can be seen and admired . IMHO , Woodstock

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a reproduction. At least the handle is. It may have been made years ago, but native Americans didn't really use a lot of flint or chert for axes in the later years. Before copper and iron, they used hardstone. Hardstone axes were very well made and had handles made of wood. The handle on that piece is manufactured. It would have to be thousands of years old to fit the chip axe time period, and would no longer have a handle. I say someone made it as a novelty then kept it for a long time.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Definitely a cool find from an estate sale! :thumbsup:
As others have already mentioned the handle looks to be relatively modern, likely from the 1900 - 20's?

But it's still interesting and somebody went to a lot of trouble to make it!
Dave

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a reproduction. At least the handle is. It may have been made years ago, but native Americans didn't really use a lot of flint or chert for axes in the later years. Before copper and iron, they used hardstone. Hardstone axes were very well made and had handles made of wood. The handle on that piece is manufactured. It would have to be thousands of years old to fit the chip axe time period, and would no longer have a handle. I say someone made it as a novelty then kept it for a long time.

Any value? I paid $50

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with dig68. Having a lot of hands on with Indian artifacts, the handel an any binding mat. would be gone due to age , they mostly used animal or plant product, with hide glue for binding. For value the stone is a retail value of $50. It is a good find , I would keep it.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with dig68. Having a lot of hands on with Indian artifacts, the handel an any binding mat. would be gone due to age , they mostly used animal or plant product, with hide glue for binding. For value the stone is a retail value of $50. It is a good find , I would keep it.:icon_thumleft:

Thank you!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post pictures of all sides, hard to tell, but it is possible it could be a hafted hoe and not an axe

Handle is repro on that there is no doubt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post pictures of all sides, hard to tell, but it is possible it could be a hafted hoe and not an axe

Handle is repro on that there is no doubt.

I have added more photos at the top please look and give me your opinion?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have added more photos at the top please look and give me your opinion?

Still can't tell from pictures..... Stone appears to be authentic although crude. You paid more than I would have but the value of an artifact is always in the buyers eyes..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be from South America or even Africa. Can you tell what the bindings are made of?

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Mayan bowl in Tennessee.

I should take it back to that s.o.b. and get my $50 back. He was a tribal looking guy.
Told me it was from Jesse James days.
I keep gettin jipped off.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should take it back to that s.o.b. and get my $50 back. He was a tribal looking guy.

I don't doubt the stone is authentic, surely you knew the handle was a reproduction. Just can't tell if stone is hoe or flint axe from picture, others may have better idea. It isn't worth losing sleep over, you paid for stone not handle.

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't doubt the stone is authentic, surely you knew the handle was a reproduction. Just can't tell if stone is hoe or flint axe from picture, others may have better idea. It isn't worth losing sleep over, you paid for stone not handle.

True! I will keep it and put it up at my next yard sale. Maybe of I put it in a boxed plexi glass display case I can ask $100 for it.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Hey Captainfizz, Man don't feel too bad I thin k your 50 bucks may be salvagable if you find the right person. Someone that likes it for its look. Just for a wall hanger in some bar etc.

Btw "tribal looking " reminds me of the line in Crocodile Dundee...Dundee to limo driver..."I knew you were tribal." LMAO

Good luck to ya.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012

Jesse James was at his height in the 1870-1880's. strange historic period to relate this piece to. The stone seems to have a real creek patina on it. Along the thin spot where the stone is hafted worries me. If you notice, it looks a little red along that part of the stone. The stone doesn't seem to have any stain on it, does it? (Like furniture or deck stain) also, if the stone is the same color under the haft, that is a good sign. The stone looks pretty good, overall. I think these pieces are war clubs, or tomahawks. They are crude and light enough to swing fast. I have one or two really close to yours. If I can find them, I'll post pics for you. The handle could date back to the days of Jessy James, but it's patina gives me doubt. Steinbeck novels have painted my only visual of Oklahoma. Dry, dusty, and hot. If humidity is low, I suppose the haft could be real. I wish we all had friends that could hook us up with answers like those cats on Pawn-stars. Not a bad piece, all in all. When exchanging $$ the chance of getting ripped off is always there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread