Old indian hatchet! Found at estate sale

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this Indian hatchet today at an estate sale. Anyone know if it's real or worth anything?

image-400633509.jpg

image-4117337448.jpg

image-4003492787.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesse James was at his height in the 1870-1880's. strange historic period to relate this piece to. The stone seems to have a real creek patina on it. Along the thin spot where the stone is hafted worries me. If you notice, it looks a little red along that part of the stone. The stone doesn't seem to have any stain on it, does it? (Like furniture or deck stain) also, if the stone is the same color under the haft, that is a good sign. The stone looks pretty good, overall. I think these pieces are war clubs, or tomahawks. They are crude and light enough to swing fast. I have one or two really close to yours. If I can find them, I'll post pics for you. The handle could date back to the days of Jessy James, but it's patina gives me doubt. Steinbeck novels have painted my only visual of Oklahoma. Dry, dusty, and hot. If humidity is low, I suppose the haft could be real. I wish we all had friends that could hook us up with answers like those cats on Pawn-stars. Not a bad piece, all in all. When exchanging $$ the chance of getting ripped off is always there.

Great info! You make some good points! Thank you

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks as if there has been something added to the stone to preserve it. That was a popular thing to do in the old days. I have seen it done in some old collections I have looked at. We now know it isnt a good thing to do to the stone pieces. Its ok to do it to bone but not stone.

I thought the same. It looks like a preservative.

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Captainfizz, Man don't feel too bad I thin k your 50 bucks may be salvagable if you find the right person. Someone that likes it for its look. Just for a wall hanger in some bar etc.

Btw "tribal looking " reminds me of the line in Crocodile Dundee...Dundee to limo driver..."I knew you were tribal." LMAO

Good luck to ya.

That's not a knife.... :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions