Old Picnic Grove!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Hey, guys, I just want to tell everyone about an old picnic grove that I have been researching for awhile. It began in the early 1880s and ended sometime around 1920. After reading many old newspaper articles from the late 1800s, I came across a heading in which it talked about a picnic at this grove that attracted 12,000 people in one day. This occurred in this grove during the entire picnic season and lasted for many years. So, while doyboy was detecting, my uncle and I went to scout out the location, and possibly obtain permission to detect.

After about a 20-minute drive, we found the location of the grove, but there was one small problem. The road that led to the grove was on private property and, yadda...yadda...yadda, we were granted permission by the land owner to detect after turkey season -- at the end of May. We are really looking forward to finding many old coins, considering that it was never hunted.

This picnic grove had many attractions throughout its history. The adults paid 10 cents and children paid 5 for admission into the grove. It also had a dancing pavilion, merry-go-round, soda booths, water booths, etc. Overall, this area should produce many old coins, since it was a "money" site. A "money" site is one in which people needed money for admission, food, activites, etc.

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a fantastic place to MD. hope you find something good.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site, look forward to the finds! Great research too. HH, Mike

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sounds very promising. one thing though, dont assume that it has never been hunted before. you would be surprised at how many people over the last 30 years have hit these hidden sites. there always is the chance that it hasnt been hit though, in which case you will be very busy! hopefully you are the first to find it! good luck with it.

S

southbound

Sounds really promising! Looking forward to lots of pics from that site. Vern

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
If this place has been hit, there will still be hundreds of coins to be found. From my understanding, this grove lasted for over 30 years and thousands of people attended it each year. So, let's assume that 15,000 people attended each year, and each of these people had on average at least 5 coins in their pockets. In one year, 75,000 coins would have circulated throughout the area, and 2,250,000 coins would have been circulated throughout its entire history. Now let's calculate the amount of coins that were potentially lost. If we assume that .1% were dropped, then there would have been 2,250 coins in the ground. We still have to realize that some of these coins were picked up, so, ultimately, there would have been thousands of coins to go around for many detectorists. I am still remaining optimistic.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i didnt mean to dampen your optimism, i would be optimistic as well. it sounds like the kind of spot that dreams are made of. dont forget to post your finds once you get out there.

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I won't be hitting this area until the end of May, so I have a lot of dreaming to do.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
ZOYBOY, Best Of Luck, Keep Us Posted. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 027.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 027.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 340
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 027.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 027.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 340

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zoyboy, research like that makes for some great hunts. :)

May will be here before you know it. Good luck to you and your brother.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
That's such a good spot you might want to risk dressing up as a big turkey and sneaking in there with your detector. ;D

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
How bout some GPS coordinances? Or at least a crude map drawn on a napkin? Arent we all freinds here? ;D lol Im with Bergie, Id put on a bullet proof vest & a turkey costume & hit it hard! Cant wait for pics in May! Best of luck to you & your brother.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also have to account for the other items lost such a jewerly and other objects of the time, which have almost certainly gained value. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Thank you for all of the kind replies! Chris, doyboy, and I are really looking forward to detecting it at the end of May.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread