Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't asked this question in a while, but whats this? It's a very soft metal. No letters or numbers that I can get off of it. Almost looks like a coat of arms. Cleaned up great as you can see from the initial pic with the quarter. It kind of feels like pewter. Thinking this is my oldest button ever!

button front 1-12-14.JPG button back1-12-14 .JPG button 1-12-14 with quarter.jpg

Upvote 5

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Too bad it's in such rough shape :icon_scratch:, while I don't see any coats of arms, I do see all the outer sections of a cross at the 3,6,9, and 12 o'clock, but no designs in each quadrant of the cross......

OP
OP
CityDigger

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually pleased with the condition of the find. I've found a few rev era things around here and this isn't too bad, imo. I've got a pewter button that can't even be handled because it falls apart in your hands. I think that if I can track down some info on this button, the quadrants will make sense.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool button!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like coin silver to me..Civilian...

Or an extremely fine grade of pewter..

Can you see any iron wire bleeding thru it?

Blaze

OP
OP
CityDigger

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wasn't really sure but have found some other revolutionary era items in the area. I'm clueless on it's age as I've never dug anything like it. Really looking for some help on it. and No I do not see any iron wire bleeding through.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah no doubt dates around the Rev War era. Looks like cast lead, and the weight would tell you the difference between that and pewter. Usually pewter doesn't come out that clean, and I think the shank bent over that way would be way more common on a lead button, and just break on a pewter.

OP
OP
CityDigger

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking the same thing about a lead button having a more chalky white look to it. This cleaned up this way with just a brush.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about lead it always comes out of the ground white...

Blaze

No it most certainly does not. Out of salt water it will be very grey, and some ground, usually where condition is pretty good it can be grey. It can also come out black, brown, or any shade between the white oxidation and dark brown.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah no doubt dates around the Rev War era. Looks like cast lead, and the weight would tell you the difference between that and pewter. Usually pewter doesn't come out that clean, and I think the shank bent over that way would be way more common on a lead button, and just break on a pewter.

You beat me to it. It is a Lead, not pewter or silver like some say, & does date to the period (18th C). Looks civilian.

PS. Did some checking & I wonder if it might go back as far as the 17th C!

Last edited:

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You beat me to it. It is a Lead, not pewter or silver like some say, & does date to the period (18th C). Looks civilian.

PS. Did some checking & I wonder if it might go back as far as the 17th C!

Cru - I agree. I glanced at it at first, (on my phone) and thought it was one of those that are silver construction (such as the one that I dug earlier this year). It is indeed lead - but I agree, the construction looks very similar to the style of those from the 1600s.

JCC5.jpg

Dan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru - I agree. I glanced at it at first, (on my phone) and thought it was one of those that are silver construction (such as the one that I dug earlier this year). It is indeed lead - but I agree, the construction looks very similar to the style of those from the 1600s.

View attachment 929346

Dan

Yes, as a general rule the lead cast ones with intregal loop are 17th C. My doubts are only because I haven't seen any 17th C types with as crisp a casting as that one. Almost looks too new.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Fascinating find! :icon_thumright: I have zero knowledge about buttons, but the central portion of this button looks like a mashed rose blossom to me. Andi

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice find no matter how old it is. Congrats

OP
OP
CityDigger

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Just for curiosity's sake. Is there a tell-tale way to know what it is made of? I've found quite a few bullets in this area and never had one come out of the ground looking like this. I'd be shocked if it's lead...but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions