Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't asked this question in a while, but whats this? It's a very soft metal. No letters or numbers that I can get off of it. Almost looks like a coat of arms. Cleaned up great as you can see from the initial pic with the quarter. It kind of feels like pewter. Thinking this is my oldest button ever!

button front 1-12-14.JPG button back1-12-14 .JPG button 1-12-14 with quarter.jpg

Upvote 5

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually pleased with the condition of the find. I've found a few rev era things around here and this isn't too bad, imo. I've got a pewter button that can't even be handled because it falls apart in your hands. I think that if I can track down some info on this button, the quadrants will make sense.
Pewter that old does crumble this is why I think it's Britannia I could be wrong? HH
BK

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Just for curiosity's sake. Is there a tell-tale way to know what it is made of? I've found quite a few bullets in this area and never had one come out of the ground looking like this. I'd be shocked if it's lead...but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Lead & lead-alloy varies a lot & so does its 'look'. I'm 100% sure, based on past finds & experience, that your Lead-Alloy Button is more Lead than any other metal & not pewter. The real obivious signs are the dig marks & rippling of shape which would never happen like that on any other type of metal.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking button :icon_thumleft: The back looks like it's marked quite bad, leading me to think it's soft like lead. Either way it could be a early type, both lead and silver buttons can date way back....nice find :icon_thumleft:

SS

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it could be Britannia metal if it's not silver, it doesn't look like lead to me. The 1600's nipple buttons I found come out looking like your button and there Britannia, which is still pewter just a better formulation than standard pewter used for table ware/ silverware. neat looking button HH
BK

I think your 100% right Broken Knee:icon_thumleft:

Good to see you prove the Smarty pants of Tnet wrong:hello2:

Blaze

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I think your 100% right Broken Knee:icon_thumleft:

Good to see you prove the Smarty pants of Tnet wrong:hello2:

Blaze

What exactly has been" proven" here?
OP said it was cleaned, but the metal hasn't been nailed down to anything yet, be that lead pewter,brittanium, electroplate or whatever

I'm still in the smartypants camp

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly has been" proven" here?
OP said it was cleaned, but the metal hasn't been nailed down to anything yet, be that lead pewter,brittanium, electroplate or whatever

I'm still in the smartypants camp
I suppose his remark could be aimed at any body who replied, pity he couldn't contribute to the ID, instead of being a smart a$$.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose his remark could be aimed at any body who replied, pity he couldn't contribute to the ID, instead of being a smart a$$.

SS

I guess you stick to what you're good at. :) ....and that's why I corrected him on lead always being white when found (because it's not), as well as the button in this thread being lead, which it very clearly is. So I think the rest of you are just wannabe smartypantses and I am the real deal as the comment was probably directed at me. :headbang::happysmiley:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you stick to what you're good at. :) ....and that's why I corrected him on lead always being white when found (because it's not), as well as the button in this thread being lead, which it very clearly is. So I think the rest of you are just wannabe smartypantses and I am the real deal as the comment was probably directed at me. :headbang::happysmiley:
Yes I knew it was aimed at you, I was just pi$$ed that he implicated just about every one with the comment, instead of having the balls and coming straight out :laughing7:

SS

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah so anyway back to your Britannia button CityDigger
coffee-1.gif

I also dug a handle a few years back that puzzled me on the material:icon_scratch:

I thought it was silver at first but then realized it had a iron rod in the middle for strength..

And wouldn't you know it has that iron in it because it is soft..Like Lead
rofl.gif

These Smarty Pants fellas hate getting caught with there pants down
pants_falling_down-2158.gif

Blaze

Attachments

• britannia handle 001.jpg
    britannia handle 001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 57
  • britannia handle 002.jpg
    britannia handle 002.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 49
  • britannia handle 003.jpg
    britannia handle 003.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 50
  • britannia handle 004.jpg
    britannia handle 004.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 54

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah so anyway back to your Britannia button CityDigger

I also dug a handle a few years back that puzzled me on the material:icon_scratch:

I thought it was silver at first but then realized it had a iron rod in the middle for strength..

And wouldn't you know it has that iron in it because it is soft..Like Lead

These Smarty Pants fellas hate getting caught with there pants down

Blaze

JB, your spoon handle appears to be plated metal, whether or not it's Britannia metal, I can't say from just pictures; having said that, that process didn't happen until the 1840s or so, the "H" mark also points in the right direction for it being electroplated brittanium, although the style of the button is earlier and probably not plated, they may not be the same composition

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
JB, your spoon handle appears to be plated metal, whether or not it's Britannia metal, I can't say from just pictures; having said that, that process didn't happen until the 1840s or so, the "H" mark also points in the right direction for it being electroplated brittanium, although the style of the button is earlier and probably not plated, they may not be the same composition

Absolutely not plated it is solid for sure..

Blaze

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Absolutely not plated it is solid for sure..

Blaze

Like I said, it appears that way in the pics

Britannia metal doesn't contain lead so it shouldn't be soft like lead, your spoon handle appears firmer like pewter, the OPs button doesn't share those qualities, it's bent and gnarled like some lead from the ground; but also looks like pewter too; I'm still not convinced they're the same,

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Like I said, it appears that way in the pics

Britannia metal doesn't contain lead so it shouldn't be soft like lead, your spoon handle appears firmer like pewter, the OPs button doesn't share those qualities, it's bent and gnarled like some lead from the ground; but also looks like pewter too; I'm still not convinced they're the same,

You,the Limey and "The Real Deal"
rofl.gif
are judging it just by the marks on it..

Have you ever seen lead come out of the ground with a sheen on it under any conditions?

Blaze

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You,the Limey and "The Real Deal"are judging it just by the marks on it..

Have you ever seen lead come out of the ground with a sheen on it under any conditions?

Blaze

Lead, no
the button was cleaned, dont know how or how much, or with what, do you?

I'm not privy to where it was found or the soil conditions or whole other host of information,yeah just the pictures and what was described briefly is what I got to go on
I'm just saying based on that and from what I know, plus I love a good debate

OP
OP
CityDigger

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP here...Hope this helps a little with the debate. It was only cleaned with a damp toothbrush and toothpick. Thats all. The attached pic is a roundball that was dug just a few feet away from the button. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• ball 1-18-14.jpg
    ball 1-18-14.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 46

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions