Old tool box

THNJ

Greenie
Sep 7, 2008
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time caller. I picked up this toolbox today at an estate sale because my girlfriend and I both liked it. The sell wasn't sure if it was a toolbox or some sort of gun box. I have been researching all day and coming up empty. There is a name stamped into the lock section "Chas Read". But what I found intersting is the parts mounted inside the lid (maybe to hold something?) and the coin slot looking brass part on the lid in the corner. Measures 12" deep, 35" end to end and about 11" front to back. Any ideas on age or what it was used for?

Also found some other great stuff today, I'll put that in another post.

Attachments

• DSC_1280.JPG
    DSC_1280.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_1281.JPG
    DSC_1281.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_1284.JPG
    DSC_1284.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_1285.JPG
    DSC_1285.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_1279.JPG
    DSC_1279.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 155

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box ! Great patina !

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't even know if naval officers had foot lockers. Does the box show that much age? How is the joinery? Are the corners dovetailed? The lid might have been made to hold maps. Was the box found in the south? Article says he passed away in Mississippi. So many questions. This could be a significant find given the mans history. I would definetly look into it further. Anyway, love the box. Good find! :icon_thumleft:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can see the dovetail , any measurements ,,,,, nice box

OP
OP
T

THNJ

Greenie
Sep 7, 2008
I don't even know if naval officers had foot lockers. Does the box show that much age? How is the joinery? Are the corners dovetailed? The lid might have been made to hold maps. Was the box found in the south? Article says he passed away in Mississippi. So many questions. This could be a significant find given the mans history. I would definetly look into it further. Anyway, love the box. Good find! :icon_thumleft:

To me it does seem to show some age. The joints are dovetailed. There seems to be remnants of tar on the inside (possibly used to seal it?). I found it in NJ but did not have a chance to ask the seller where it may have come from as it was at an estate sale and fairly busy. She thought it was early nineteen hundreds but I had a feeling it was a bit older than that.

i can see the dovetail , any measurements ,,,,, nice box

Measures 12" deep, 35" end to end and about 11" front to back.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tool box. Can't help on the age.
The thumb latch in the lid was used to hold a level in place. Are the two wood blocks on either sideof it 24" to 28" apart?
The slot in the top was to hold a framing square.
The two angled pieces were usually used to hold a saw in place.
I hope that helps ya.

OP
OP
T

THNJ

Greenie
Sep 7, 2008
Tool box. Can't help on the age.
The thumb latch in the lid was used to hold a level in place. Are the two wood blocks on either sideof it 24" to 28" apart?
The slot in the top was to hold a framing square.
The two angled pieces were usually used to hold a saw in place.
I hope that helps ya.

Thanks for the info. The two wood blocks do measure 24" apart.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older metal levels had long openings in the body. You set the level between the blocks and turn the thumb screw to secure it in the lid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread