Oldest coin to date

Jan 5, 2008
Brazoria County, TX
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-30, X-505
The wife and I got into metal detecting as a hobby in 2007. We got addicted QUICK, especially after digging up our first silver. (a 1936 Walking Liberty). Since then, we've had an addition to our family, our son Mason who is now a little over 2. Needless to say, we haven't had much time at all in the past couple years to get out and hunt. Well, we finally decided a couple weeks ago to dust off the ol' detector and get back at it. First trip to our local park netted us a 1942 Quarter. Well, like most of us, finding a nice silver is like getting back on the crack pipe, lol. Our next trip we decided to go to a little out-of-the-way town, and search a run down city park next to a creek. There was LOTS of trash and cans to weed thru, but our first and only coin we popped outta the ground was the one pictured below. An 1826 Mexican Reale. When I dug it up, I immediately looked at the date, and saw 1826. I thought, that can't be right. Well, sure enough it was. It's not a valuable piece, but we are super stoked about the possibility of our new found hunting ground.
Happy Hunting all!

Attachments

• 1826 Silver Reale2.JPG
    1826 Silver Reale2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 659
  • 1826 Silver Reale.JPG
    1826 Silver Reale.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 613
  • 1826 Silver Reale2.JPG
    1826 Silver Reale2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 542
  • 1826 Silver Reale.JPG
    1826 Silver Reale.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 535

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Very nice coin!! Congratulations on the new addition to the family and the awesome coin - you must be livin right.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Nice find, you beat my earliest coin in Brazoria co. by a hundred years. Your in a great area, lots of early development along the rivers there.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is a really nice coin. I found a 1799 1/2 reale in downtown Houston, about 12 yrs ago and it was barely readable. Also found a 1855 dime in Old Spring in the parking lots behind the old Wunsche Cafe. All with an old Whites 6000 Pro Di.

Just got a new E-Trac, had to send it back as the 'backlight feature' did not work, and will be hitting 'Galveston quite often. Hit a house lot about 2 blocks away that Fema had bought because of flooding, and the third coin was one of those late '90's Sacajawea dollars. The E-Trac is quite a bit better than the 6000!

OP
OP
jeffandmistie(TEXAS)
Jan 5, 2008
Brazoria County, TX
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-30, X-505
Thanks guys. Ya, our oldest before this one was a 1920 Cuban Centavo, lol :laughing7:

Funny thing is, this coin hit solid on the detector. It was less than 3" deep, and read as a quarter. I was doing an area that is LOADED with trash, so I had the Xterra discriminated out to the max, allowing only dime/quarter/halve signals to come thru.

I'd LOVE to have the new E-trac. Sounds like a great detector, especially since I'm partial to Minelab equipment. I've had several detectors over the past few years, and the Minelab is by far my favorite to use.

The town I live in doesn't have a whole lot of history to it. Only dates back to the 30's/40's. However, there is one homestead that has been there since around the turn of the century. I finally drove up their driveway this weekend to ask permission to hunt the place. It was a very cordial conversation other than the fact the owner said.....'I'd really rather you not, but thanks anyway'. ::) :-\ :'( >:(

Oh well, our search continues! :-\

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I cant even come close to some of you guys. But I found this my first year detecting (2nd Silver coin ever), and it still remains my oldest. It was actually found in fill dirt near a powerpole they had replaced

1892-s Barber Quarter QuartFront-9-16.jpg QuartBack-9-16.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread