OMG!!! I Found a Connecticut Copper! UPDATED PICS

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this a couple hours ago and did not even realize what I had! I sent a pic to amember of this forum and he ID'd it for me!!! Imagine my surprise! This is the second rare US colonial copper that I have dug from this certain field...not too bad for not being in the US!

The condition actually look decent but I could use a good conservative cleaning. I am going through the Web trying to nail down the variety. It is 1788 with a misaligned left facing bust. Any ideas?

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow...when I took the pictures I thought it was just another crusty copper! I also found the tiny fancy button. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• orien 003.jpg
    orien 003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,412
  • orien 009.jpg
    orien 009.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,409
  • orien 005.jpg
    orien 005.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,427
Upvote 0
Re: OMG!!! I Found a Connecticut Copper!!!!

Can't think of what would be better than the same ole peroxide.

You should be able to get enough to ID. (fingers crossed) Good one!

Thanks again IP...I was just going to toss it in with the other old coppers and forget about it.

WTG! Can't wait to see what it looks like after cleaning. Job well done :thumbsup:

Cool finds, I need to take a trip up north I guess.

romeo-1 said:
Thanks again IP...I was just going to toss it in with the other old coppers and forget about it.

Definitely want to check a CT, especially an 88! Good thing there are only 37 varieties. :D (that's actually a serious comment if you look at the 87s)

There are only eleven 1788 varieties with the misaligned left facing bust...that will help narrow it down...the eleven that I have narrowed it down to range from "Rare" to "Very Scarce"...no common dates!

Dude, you score so many sweet coins. You really got some great sites. I know you put the time in too. Congratulations on another score! :icon_sunny:

Bob

Excellent Copper!

I hope the die variety makes it even more special of a find for you. $$$ :)

Congratulations!

-Buckleboy

Congrats on that CT copper...good luck with the cleaning :thumbsup:

Congrats Romeo :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: SWEET CT Coppa :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: :icon_thumright:

Derek :icon_king:

Very nice, Connecticut coppers are among my favorite. Gotta ask though, what do you mean by misaligned bust?

l.cutler said:
Very nice, Connecticut coppers are among my favorite. Gotta ask though, what do you mean by misaligned bust?

A misaligned bust means that the obverse does not line up with the reverse of the coin.

Romeo, congrats on getting a CT copper. I have been looking at the varieties and are you sure it is a 1788? So far, I cannot find a match for the Reverse, so going to start looking at other years.

Don

Don in SJ said:
Romeo, congrats on getting a CT copper. I have been looking at the varieties and are you sure it is a 1788? So far, I cannot find a match for the Reverse, so going to start looking at other years.

Don

Thanks Don, I would appreciate any help you can provide...I am not positive that it is 1788...I'll try to get a couple more pics today...

I think the Reverse is showing enough now for me to ID if I can just find the right combination. :) I am fairly certain no matches for 1788, not 100% but pretty much so.

Don

Don in SJ said:
I think the Reverse is showing enough now for me to ID if I can just find the right combination. :) I am fairly certain no matches for 1788, not 100% but pretty much so.

Don

Thanks again Don...looking forward to your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back