OMG its real!!! 1 carat $4,000 - $5,000 retail

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
:o I thought this ring deserved an encore. As some of you know I dug this ring at the beach last night. This morning I took it down to a coin/jewelry shop near my house that buys diamonds.

The owner was eyeballing this thing pretty serious while his diamond tester warmed up. He said this is going to test real. I looked at the stone with a 30x scope last night and could find no carbon specs, it was so clear I really thought it might be fake. Finally he hit it with the tester and it confirmed his assessment, its real good lord!

I asked him what he thougt it was worth, he checked the color quick and said $4,000-$5,000 retail. $2,500-$3,000 is what he would pay. Given the type of establishment I was at a second opinion is probably in order but I was happy with that.

drc1.jpg

drc2.jpg

drc4.jpg

dr1.jpg

dr3.jpg

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I think a second opinion is in order as well. If it comes back in that same range? CONGRATS...If it comes back higher? SELL!

What a beauty!

~Nash~

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Beautiful! That's what I'm talking about...that's why we do this thing we do. :D

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Great, now what do you do with it. I've been a gemologist/wholesales diamond dealer for 28 years. Here's some suggestions. I hope they help.

First, Pay a gemologist to do a written appraisal. It's like an assay and usually around $50 to $75
Once you get the analysis you know what you have. It's like a professional assay of gold. You can find many accurate prices with an accurate analysis.

Second, go to www.bluenile.com and check their diamond prices, they are approx 20% over wholesale, so it's kind of close.
That way you know what you have.

I'm concerned, because a 1 ct diamond that you can't find a flaw in with 30x is a good one and can wholesale for $ 5000 to $ 8000

So sure a retailer would pay you $ 2,500. He might be low balling you to get a steal. Keep me informed, i can help and all i would want is for you not to get the right value.

Be careful

Congrats
Tom

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,

Would a written appraisal from a jeweler be OK. Or would he also need to be a certified gemologist? I have a 28 stone (1 1/2 carat) I found and want to get a idea of the price.

Thanks

Ed D.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
Anyone check the local newspapers in the area it was found?

Looking for say, mad husbands abusing wives, etc? [for losing it]...that is alot of money,

I sure hope the lady that lost that one is ok & such. I guess it would be hard to prove a

ring like that is yours though, no initials, etc...However, not to bust the bubble, but I have

heard that nowadys, it is more common place for a gemologist to somehow put an invisible

marking, (like a serial number) into/onto the stone, for security purposes. Then if lost or

stolen, and someone brings it to a legit gemologist, that gemologist will check the number

against known stolen/lost numbers in a central database....and then guess what?

Yup, you lose the diamond, but feel good for being able to give it back to a rightful owner.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Now that's a SERIOUS RING!!! I think you more than paid for your time and effort with that one. WAY TO GO!!!

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ed,
Usually i suggest a gemologist for a single larger stone,
A established jeweler, with a good history are fine if it's written.
It's just time to be careful when jewelers give verbal quotes, it's really a guess at best and sometimes there's a unethical reason for a low ball verbal.
Not saying this happened, this time, just in general be careful. It's like finding a big nugget.

A cluster ring of say 1.5 carats of round diamonds (each 05/100 cts), usually is about $400 to $500 a carat wholesale plus labor to set the stones and say $200 mounting,

So if the appraisal says G-H color, VS clarity you have about $ 900 Wholesale
if the appraisal says H-J color, SI or lower you have around $5-600 "

Just guessing, If you want more info just email me with the appraisal destails and i'll be glad to try and help

Tom

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I assume your metal detector just paid for itself!

Congrats on the find of a lifetime.

Don

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty...You sure hit the biggun!!!...I have found a few engagement rings over the years but nothing like that. Congrats

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Can't beat that with a stick. Where are you headed on VACATION? HH and may another one come your way, you know what they say about everything happening in three's.

Desertfox

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Now that is a great ring.

I found a half carat last yr. It was worth half that. I was given 2 prices to. What they could buy it for. And what they could sell it for.

Seems to be about right. 4,000 or 5,000 sounds about spot on. It's a hell of a find.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread