opinions please?

Smith1

Jan 8, 2008
Would like to here opinions about the tejon and the sovereign gt. I want to buy one or the other but can't make up my mind. Does the different freq., auto ground ballance help . I plan to do mostly relic hunting but wouldn't turn a trip down to do other types of detecting. I live in virginia close to the ronoake area.I like to look around old houses and cw sites. ???

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Smith1 and welcome to TNet....My opinion...hmmmm...I would take the GT over the Tejon...ok..I would take a BH1100 over the Tejon. You will have some that say they love them but I hated the one I used...If you want to find a #8 birdshot pellet down 9 inches..then that is the machine for you...but I didn't like digging and digging and find a shot pellet. They will also say that it has a lifetime warranty...heck..if you are like me you won't keep one detector for a lifetime..well, at least I like to try all kinds. You will find most of the better name company's will stand behind their machines without much squabble. But whatever you decide to get..just remember..Have fun...

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both. I prefer the Tejon. Being from Canada, I found out the hard way that the Sovereign nulls on Canadian coins. It will sound off on silver and copper, but not on dimes, quarters, $1 and $2 coins. That may not seem like a big deal, but it doesn't seem like that much fun to slug around that tank just to find zinc pennies and a silver coin once or twice a month.

I also found the controls to be flimsy. Those little switches look like you could snap them off if you aren't careful. According to Clive's book on the Sov, those switches will all fail within months if you don't buy those little boots.

I also found using the controls awkward, as it requires 2 hands. If you are carrying a shovel, that means putting it down to do something as basic as pinpoint. I didn't like that.

I also thought the placement of the meter was ridiculous. It should be adjustable so you can actually see it without bending down (and I'm not tall).

Anyway, that's just my opinion. There are many who love the Sov. so ultimately you will need to decide for yourself.

Dan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the Tejon, but I do have a Sovereign GT with a WOT and it is a fantastic machine.

A couple weeks ago I found a Canadian Dollar coin about 6-8 inches deep under about a foot of water at Daytona Beach . It gave a loud solid tone when I found it, no doubt about it being there.

I have NOT had one single problem with the switches on my Sovereign, have used it a lot since I got it in early June 07. Not had a single problem with Sov GT at all, have found silver rings, gold rings, and a diamond ring so far with mine.

I have 2 Excal 1000s, a Whites 6000 XL Pro, Fisher 1235 X and the Sovereign GT and the Sovereign GT is my favorite for hunting, especially at the beach, As long as I am not in the surf I use it, but it isn't water proof.

Just my personal opinion.........

Good luck and good hunting.....................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had ......Minelab Sovereign's .....since about 1992 never had a switch or knob problem and can pin point with one hand just like any other detector i do love the ....Sovereign detector.... But about the meter can't say never used one on the Sovereign never wanted one.........Now i added the ........Garrett Infinium.......to my hunting gear......I am not big on meters display screens................==Jim==

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right Jim, I have found the Sovereign to be a very good detector.

Now if I could find someone who would waterproof the housing for me I could take it deeper in the surf, I would really be happy. I just do not trust myself doing it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Your right Jim, I have found the Sovereign to be a very good detector.

Now if I could find someone who would waterproof the housing for me I could take it deeper in the surf, I would really be happy. I just do not trust myself doing it.
... Well..Treasure hunter.. I would like to water proof my Sovereign to but i know if i do it would leak then what can Minelab fix that. Only for a lot of cash they would................So that is why i won't do it....==Jim==

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I found a Canadian Dollar coin about 6-8 inches deep under about a foot of water at Daytona Beach . It gave a loud solid tone when I found it, no doubt about it being there.

Wow, that's a surprise. Was it a loonie (gold coloured, 1987 to current year) or a silver dollar?

As for the switches standing up, glad to hear that. I was just reiterating what I read in Clive's book.

Like I said, I didn't like it, but lots of people do. I do like my Tejon, but I'm really looking forward to working with my new GTI 2500, which I should have this week.

Dan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan It is Gold colored, a 2007 with pic of Q. E. II on it. I really thought I had a ring at first due to the sound it made.

I have heard nothing but good about the Tejon, but I have never owned a Tesoro myself....YET ;) ;D

Jim I know there are those who do waterproof their Sovereigns, I just do not trust myself doing it, having never tried to do it before. If I pick up a used one I may try to find someone who would do it for me. I am always looking for one for sale already waterproofed. I suspect if one appears on EBay, you and I will be bidding against each other...... ;)

I have 5 detectors and knowing me, there will be others. I bought all of them used at a good price except for the Sov GT, so I know I can get most of my money back if I sell or trade one. I do not see selling my Sov GT any time soon, it is by far my favorite so far........Sovereigns are great IMO. :D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If used correctly both are excellent machines.

If you're talking general all-purpose hunting I'd say dollar for dollar the GT is the better buy (in my opinion).

Everyone knows I'm a Tesoro lover but they need to do some very serious upgrading very soon. The days of factory presets, manual ground balancing, and single frequency machines have come to an end. In fact, I believe we're very close to the end of the VLF age. But, for this minute, Minelab and others like them have the edge.

However, If I saw a like new Tejon for $300 I'd probably buy it faster than you could say Jack Frost. But if I had to pay new price I'd contact a dealer and pick up a new Sovereign GT for about $635 postpaid.

Probably the Sovereign GT is the best buy in name brand VLF metal detectors today.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter......If a water proof Sovereign came up on Ebay i think there would be a lot more bidders on it than you and i...................................==Jim==

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Code:
...Badger... You are right there that..Sovereign GT.. is the best VLF detector out there today. And now i think that Garrett..with that ..Infinium.. come out with the best PI detector that you can use on land or water it had a slow start on sales. But i think it will be a big one for Garrett when the word gets around.....And about meters like i said before i don't like them..............................Have been running Sovereigns since they first came out and never put a meter on one.............And with the ..Infinium..I like the no meter deal with it..............==Jim==

OP
OP
S

Smith1

Jan 8, 2008
Thanks for all the opinions. I am putting a bid on a GT, never hurt to save money . :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roachnjim said:
Treasure_Hunter......If a water proof Sovereign came up on Ebay i think there would be a lot more bidders on it than you and i...................................==Jim==

No doubt that you are right about that. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions