ORDINANCE NO. 1545 now bans digging of "unsafe" holes on Cocoa beach !!

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ORDINANCE NO. 1545 now bans digging of "unsafe" holes on Cocoa beach !!

They are hiring 10 rangers to patrol the beaches. If a ranger deems you digging an "unsafe hole" you can be fined.

I really dont think they have Metal Detectorist in mind, but an overzealous ranger could cause you grief. Just making everyone aware of the new ordinace. Please fill your holes !!!!

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...uly-Cocoa-Beach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

http://cocoabeach.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&event_id=108&meta_id=64719

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: ORDINANCE NO. 1545 now bans digging of "unsafe" holes on Cocoa beach !!

we only dig "safe holes" ::) -which we promply refill :thumbsup: --- right folks no "unsafe" crater type "gaping holes" left behind :angry5: --humm fill in your hole police, who knew :whip2:

if one fills in ones holes that they dig (as one should for the public's safety ) -- it should not be a "issue" -- since as long as a digger person is at the hole to prevent anyone from tripping or falling in the hole --its not a "unsafe"hole --- only iwhen the hole is "left' open is it "unsafe" --thus only slob hunters who try towalk off and leave "open " crater type holes are in real danger of getting ticketed --so bubba you best "cover your hole" like we "good detectorist" been saying all along , cuz now you got the "hole police" after ya.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder what the parameters are for determining a safe hole from an unsafe hole? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well so long as you are phyiscally there to stop anyone from falling or tripping in the hole you dug * it would be hard to prove it as "unsafe" and of course you must fill your hole in before leaving the spot -- however digging a hole and just trying to walking off (thus leaving a "open hole / trip / fall hazard ) as i see this coud very well get you ticketed. --so its a clear message --folks fill in your holes you dig ( its the law now * -- no more slob hunting , digging and leaving open holes for folks to trip over , fall in. )

the 'hole police" are watching you now. :whip2: I knew this day would come

when you will not do the "right thing" to begin with -- they will then make a law to make you do the right thing or else.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I am sooooooo sick of this crap.... Really......... So does this meen that If I take my granchild to the beach and we walk away after he has played in the sand that I too will be in trouble. This sickens me... cmon people get a life, and stop being jelouse of people finding stuff on the beach. Everyone wants a cut thats what the REAL story is here... We are finding pennies leave us alone! we also CLEAN the beach for others to use safely....Signed .... AGRIVATED! Who else is with me on this?

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We have a Beach Patrol here in Naples and it's a good thing.onces the ranger learn who you are ,You will find out that they can be helpful.I run a program with Ranger here were I find rings and keys for people who losses them.I have returned,$10,000 Diamond ring ,Plat. rings. One a man was sitting in the rain with his kids because he has lost his keys in the water.He showed me and 5 mins. later he had his keys .I got to stop now or I will ramble on and on ,yas the Beach Patrol is a good thing.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I doubt this is really geared toward MDer's.........I mean, after spring break I've actually had to drive around craters that have been dug in the sand. :laughing9: (We can still drive on the beach here.) Not really sure why they felt the need to create the ordinance but it probably had to do with a liabilty issue of some kind.......insurance underwriter/carrier maybe sighting them as a potential hazard? Maybe there was an incident, or an increase in incidents? People are sue crazy these days.....probably just trying to cover their rumps.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound

I read the ordinance and it is not unreasonable. I truly don't think they are after hunters with metal detectors. However, with that said, it only makes sense to fill in your holes just out of courtesy and an attempt to keep a low profile and not draw negative attention to what you are doing. If you fill your holes, I highly doubt there will be any problem. I recently read an article about a teen digging a huge hole in the sand only to have it collapse in on him and bury him alive. I don't know if they got him out in time or not and I am not sure which beach it was on. I googled to try and find the article and could not, but I came up with this which likely explains why they would put such an ordinance in place: http://www.beachhunter.net/blog/2007/06/holes-in-beach-sand-deadlier-than.html Seems more people die on beaches from hole/tunnel cave-ins than shark attacks. When people insist on doing unsafe and unreasonable things because they think it is "their right" then you can be sure the government will eventually step in to try to force proper behavior to protect the digger, the general public and the town. Just remember the woman who got a huge settlement from McDonalds because the coffee she just bought and spilled between her legs was hot. Dahhhh

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:

ivan salis said:
when you will not do the "right thing" to begin with -- they will then make a law to make you do the right thing or else.

Exactly!

It's amazing how many places this applies.

I also like "What goes around Comes around."

HH Joe

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to ask if they are not targeting detectorist then who?
People who build sand castles?
Kids digging holes?

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:

So does this meen that camp fires are also a hazard????? Do I have to take my wood away with me from now on. And do I bring a rake to smooth out the ashes too????? Cmon people wake up...

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:

It's a shame they have to pass laws to protect us from ourselves. Fill your holes...no problem. Leave it for others to fill and you get a ticket...yay! :hello2:

captaindoug

May 1, 2011

yes you should fill in your holes, But if you don't doesn't the person walking down the beach have a little responsibility to watch where he is walking.
Give me a break

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

this is not targeting detectorists! they are primarily concerned with a few problem areas here in cocoa beach mostly unruly conduct and alcohol problems. i even seen a guy drown and probably because he was to drunk.(it was at one of there target areas)
if they do ticket some "detectorist" for not filling there holes in im all for it!!!! we have all seen these "detectorists" or there unfilled holes.
now, the first time one tries to tell me to stop digging a hole i will let you know.
chuck.

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:

I usually hunt Cocoa Beach at least once or twice per week.I sometimes see holes that are 2 or more feet wide and sometimes just as deep.I have often wondered why they didn't try to discourage this activity.If someone were walking at night , and did not carry a flashlight,they might be injured by stepping into one of these holes.
Metal detectorist's are not digging these holes.They are being dug by kids and teenagers,who leave them open.If their parents are present,they don't seem inclined to have their children fill in the holes.It is not our job to fill them in.Any beach hunter, worth a hoot, fills any holes he or she digs.If they give me a hassle, I will tell them the truth about how the holes come to be there.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whydah sounds like one of the guys who doesn't fill his holes... Get him!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure about this one...It doesnt say you can dig a hole as long as you fill it back in, it says you cant dig a dangerous hole. If the ranger says its dangerous you wont be digging targets on Cocoa Beach. I hope the rangers have common sense. :dontknow:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:

captaindoug said:
yes you should fill in your holes, But if you don't doesn't the person walking down the beach have a little responsibility to watch where he is walking.
Give me a break

If you are on the beach before daylight, trip in a hole that SHOULDN'T be there because you can't see it in the dark....does that make you irresponsible?

The irresponsible person is the one that left the hole, or let his children leave the hole. The hole wasn't there before they got there why should it be there after they leave?

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:

Can Slaw said:
captaindoug said:
Give me a break

If you are on the beach before daylight, trip in a hole that SHOULDN'T be there because you can't see it in the dark....does that make you irresponsible?

The irresponsible person is the one that left the hole, or let his children leave the hole. The hole wasn't there before they got there why should it be there after they leave?
Uhh, I think that flashlights are still for sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread