ORDINANCE NO. 1545 now bans digging of "unsafe" holes on Cocoa beach !!

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ORDINANCE NO. 1545 now bans digging of "unsafe" holes on Cocoa beach !!

They are hiring 10 rangers to patrol the beaches. If a ranger deems you digging an "unsafe hole" you can be fined.

I really dont think they have Metal Detectorist in mind, but an overzealous ranger could cause you grief. Just making everyone aware of the new ordinace. Please fill your holes !!!!

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...uly-Cocoa-Beach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

http://cocoabeach.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&event_id=108&meta_id=64719

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: ORDINANCE NO. 1545 now bans digging of "unsafe" holes on Cocoa beach !!

Montauk3 said:
Can Slaw said:
captaindoug said:
yes you should fill in your holes, But if you don't doesn't the person walking down the beach have a little responsibility to watch where he is walking.
Give me a break

If you are on the beach before daylight, trip in a hole that SHOULDN'T be there because you can't see it in the dark....does that make you irresponsible?

The irresponsible person is the one that left the hole, or let his children leave the hole. The hole wasn't there before they got there why should it be there after they leave?
Uhh, I think that flashlights are still for sale.
I guess Coco Beach doesn't look at it that way. And to be truthful, although we don't need anymore laws I hope my County passes that same law. There is nothing uglier that a beach full of large holes and trash, but I guess a flashlight fixes that, huh?

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do ya really think in this economy they will hire 9 people to look for holes? Yeah I don't think so... there just blowin smoke. Doesn't mean you shouldn't fill your holes though...

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:

Aka Nameless said:
Whydah sounds like one of the guys who doesn't fill his holes... Get him!
If you watch any of my videos you will see that I do infact fill ALL my holes. Wise Guy !

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Lee County just spent 4.5 Million dollars to re-nourish the beaches. They said it was the best investment the County could make to bring in more tourist. If Coco Beach is like ours, I don't think they will bat an eye to spend a couple of hundred thousand to protect their investment in sand. The County Commissioners look at sand as if it were gold. If we don't have the best looking beaches the tourist will go else where that have nicer looking beaches. No tourist, no lost gold to metal detect.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:

Can Slaw said:
Lee County just spent 4.5 Million dollars to re-nourish the beaches. They said it was the best investment the County could make to bring in more tourist. If Coco Beach is like ours, I don't think they will bat an eye to spend a couple of hundred thousand to protect their investment in sand. The County Commissioners look at sand as if it were gold. If we don't have the best looking beaches the tourist will go else where that has nicer looking beaches. No tourist, no lost gold to metal detect.
Everytime you guys get wind or a storm of some type the sand ( or Gold ) goes out into the reef dosn't it? Maybe spend the money some other way ? Fla. has been there for thousands of years, I'm sure it will be there a few more. STOP Replenishing it . It's a waste of money! Just my thought. Also as a side note. maybe with NO new sand, you might be able to find some of that treasure you guys have down there more often. Just sayin

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montauk3 said:
Can Slaw said:
captaindoug said:
yes you should fill in your holes, But if you don't doesn't the person walking down the beach have a little responsibility to watch where he is walking.
Give me a break

If you are on the beach before daylight, trip in a hole that SHOULDN'T be there because you can't see it in the dark....does that make you irresponsible?

The irresponsible person is the one that left the hole, or let his children leave the hole. The hole wasn't there before they got there why should it be there after they leave?
Uhh, I think that flashlights are still for sale.

So you create a hazzard and it's up to me to avoid it?

The person who left the hole is responsible. Can Slaw has this 100% right.

Those of who night hunt know from experience that even with a high powered head lamp, at night, the contrast that would indicate a hole is lost. The sand has long since dried and is now all one color. With the exception of really deep holes, it all looks the same. I have tripped on countless dig holes at night on the beach. Most left by kids, but some left by other people who are metal detecting. That said, the point is we can't do much about the kids, but there is something we can do about the holes we dig.

I read something else on this subject somewhere that made sense and that is that municipalities look at dig holes left while metal detecting as a liability. Next thing you know there is some ordinance being proposed or passed that limits our access. It's just a lot easier to fill the hole.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

S.S.Tupperware said:
Do ya really think in this economy they will hire 9 people to look for holes? Yeah I don't think so... there just blowin smoke. Doesn't mean you shouldn't fill your holes though...

Yep, if they are passing a law you can bet they have the funding in place to enact it. In this case hire low paid young people or retirees to patrol the beach for min wage or maybe a little more. Part time, no benefits. Fines will more than cover their cost and provide another revenue stream to the town. Colleged aged children of township committe members get hired first.

And +1, if you fill your holes, you've got no worries.

If you get a ticket for not filling holes just think about how that's going to ruin your day. Boy, talk about a buzz kill!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer Angel said:
S.S.Tupperware said:

Yep, if they are passing a law you can bet they have the funding in place to enact it. In this case hire low paid young people or retirees to patrol the beach for min wage or maybe a little more. Part time, no benefits. Fines will more than cover their cost and provide another revenue stream to the town. Colleged aged children of township committe members get hired first.

And +1, if you fill your holes, you've got no worries.

If you get a ticket for not filling holes just think about how that's going to ruin your day. Boy, talk about a buzz kill!
The ordinance does not say you have to fill them in, it says you cant dig them. How big is a dangeruos hole? This ordinance is way too vauge. :icon_scratch:

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are right, it is vague. It's vague on purpose to allow LEOs latitude in enforcement as the situation dictates. They don't want probable cause to come down to the size of a hole. Clearly the law, on that point, is centered on large publics works type holes and tunnel projects dug on the beach, and left for others to fall into or trip over.

Here's the thing, this law is not aimed at us. CCB has a problem with some out of control behavior on the beach brought on by too much booze. This is one step to get a handle on that. My take is law enforcement is tired of all the obnoxious BS and has gotten the town committe to lay down the law. This is more about protecting their tourist dollars by providing a clean safe beach than it is an afront to any one group of law biding hobbiest, be they metal detectorist or surf fisherman.

Could the law regarding digging large holes be used against us? Sure, but unlikely unless we are causing a problem. MDers in this part of Fl should work with law enforcement to make their voices heard so that your concerns can be incorporated into the ranger training.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Whydah said:
Can Slaw said:
Lee County just spent 4.5 Million dollars to re-nourish the beaches. They said it was the best investment the County could make to bring in more tourist. If Coco Beach is like ours, I don't think they will bat an eye to spend a couple of hundred thousand to protect their investment in sand. The County Commissioners look at sand as if it were gold. If we don't have the best looking beaches the tourist will go else where that has nicer looking beaches. No tourist, no lost gold to metal detect.
Everytime you guys get wind or a storm of some type the sand ( or Gold ) goes out into the reef dosn't it? Maybe spend the money some other way ? Fla. has been there for thousands of years, I'm sure it will be there a few more. STOP Replenishing it . It's a waste of money! Just my thought. Also as a side note. maybe with NO new sand, you might be able to find some of that treasure you guys have down there more often. Just sayin

If the Northerners would stop crying when they come down here that they want clean white sandy beaches with NO HOLES, maybe the Commissioners would stop the re-nourishment projects. I guaranty you, they sure don't re-nourish for us locals. They could stop dredging tomorrow and I would be tickled to death, but as long as tourist want the best for their money and they keep spending it here, the Cities, Counties and State will give it to them. Our beach has already hired MORE beach patrols for Spring Break to enforce, open container, underage drinking litter and "beach damage" laws.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer Angel said:
You are right, it is vague. It's vague on purpose to allow LEOs latitude in enforcement as the situation dictates. They don't want probable cause to come down to the size of a hole. Clearly the law, on that point, is centered on large publics works type holes and tunnel projects dug on the beach, and left for others to fall into or trip over.

Here's the thing, this law is not aimed at us. CCB has a problem with some out of control behavior on the beach brought on by too much booze. This is one step to get a handle on that. My take is law enforcement is tired of all the obnoxious BS and has gotten the town committe to lay down the law. This is more about protecting their tourist dollars by providing a clean safe beach than it is an afront to any one group of law biding hobbiest, be they metal detectorist or surf fisherman.

Could the law regarding digging large holes be used against us? Sure, but unlikely unless we are causing a problem. MDers in this part of Fl should work with law enforcement to make their voices heard so that your concerns can be incorporated into the ranger training.
I think your right...at least I hope you are.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whydah said:
So does this meen that camp fires are also a hazard????? Do I have to take my wood away with me from now on. And do I bring a rake to smooth out the ashes too????? Cmon people wake up...

My answer to that is - yes.

Clean up after yourself. That includes burned beer cans and broken bottles that I've seen in beach campfires.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

gee fill your holes and pick up after yourselves * (don't be a slob huge hole maker / leaver , trash dumping nitwit ) now thats a hard concept for some folks to grasp :BangHead:* and thats why we now have "new rules" :evil5: and have the "hole police" rangers to insure that you do the "polite" thing and do the things "nice" folks are supposed to do. :'( :whip2:

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Bum Luck said:
Whydah said:
So does this meen that camp fires are also a hazard????? Do I have to take my wood away with me from now on. And do I bring a rake to smooth out the ashes too????? Cmon people wake up...

My answer to that is - yes.

Clean up after yourself. That includes burned beer cans and broken bottles that I've seen in beach campfires.
Who said anything about broken bottles or beer cans? That's common sence to take that stuff out with you when you leave.
This reminds me of the time the Park Ranger wanted me to leave because he said I was making holes and leaving them. This was back in the early 1970's. I told him I wasn't the culprit, he said to me then who is? I said ask the squirrels to cover their holes up after they dig for acorns.. He laughed and said good luck finding pennies....

seapro1

Apr 27, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Excalibur 1000, Fisher CZ-70
Primary Interest:

I have been hunting Cocoa Beach for a long time I have never fell into a unsafe hole, although I do fill in extremly deep holes if I run across one. I don't see the need for unsafe hole police!!!! maybe if people are falling into these at night they need to carry a flashlight

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:

A few bad apples that don't fill their holes can ruin it for everyone :BangHead:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

seapro1 said:
I have been hunting Cocoa Beach for a long time I have never fell into a unsafe hole, although I do fill in extremly deep holes if I run across one. I don't see the need for unsafe hole police!!!! maybe if people are falling into these at night they need to carry a flashlight

It looks like your Beach Officials don't agree with you you about carrying a flashlight. You now have "hole police" and fines for those that leave holes, not those that don't carry flashlights.

We need your law on this coast. I was at the beach at first light the other morning and what the spring breakers has done to the beach the day before was sickening. It looked like a scene from a WWII combat movie. That will cost a few dollars to have it ready for the that days group of beach goers. I don't think flashlights would fix that mess :laughing7:

seapro1

Apr 27, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Excalibur 1000, Fisher CZ-70
Primary Interest:

If you want to stop bringing in spring break tourists income to an area, just keep making stupid laws for that area, and the spring breakers will find another place to go. We at Cocoa beach have a beach sweeper to remove the trash left behind, now we are targeting hole diggers, "at a beach" go figure. What's next, are they going to make sure you get all the beach sand off of your clothes when you leave or you will get a ticket!!!! We need to send these people making up these rules back where they come from!!!!!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Work with the lawmakers and law enforcers, not against them. That's just smart. When a ranger's in a bad mood, you want him to wave because he recognizes you.

And realize where your community gets its money from - that'd be tourists. It won't do anybody any good to belly ache about it either, since those businesses are who the Commissioners listen to.

Stop swimming upstream.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Hey Guys,
It ain't us! It's those Damn 10 years olds diggin' all those holes to play in. I say arrest 'em all as soon as they start diggin'. Then let their parents bail 'em outta jail!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread