Original photos Stone Maps

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
somehiker, when you recently posted graphics of the Hopi stone tablets, were you just doing so to point out another example of portable carved stones, or were you hinting at a link with the Hopi tablets to the PSMs? I assume the former, but wanted to clarify your meaning - not that Pahana, the missing white brother, might somehow be tied to other Arizona pre-Columbian mysteries in some manner. [I would have posted this on your new thread on the other forum, but they apparently don't want me there - at least twice in the past few years have rejected my attempts to register. Oh, well ... simplifies my time demands, actually.]

For some reason, I don't know why or which ones exactly, the site will not accept certain E-Mail addresses. I had to switch to G-Mail, from Hotmail for example, before I could register myself.

One of the arguments against the relatively large and heavy "museum stones" has always been based on the portability factor.....ie. that maps on paper or skin would have made more sense for someone traveling to and from a mine or treasure site.
Although I can't disagree with that, I have always countered that having been found buried in the desert, both the media and the size would make sense, IF the maker or makers had planned to cache them somewhere along a certain route...that they had to include a significant but minimum amount of information...and they also had to be very resistant to rot or animal/insect depredation. Too heavy for example, for a coyote or javalina to dig up and scatter, or just leave exposed, and nothing that any insect or rodent would find appetizing. Once recovered by someone who had a map ( like Pegleg's "ground map" ) or even fairly simple directions to where they were buried, they could then be copied onto a media more suitable for travel through the mountains, and reburied, both for security reasons and for possible repeated use if the target was a group of mines or a substantial cache of valuables.

That argument and possible explanation would no longer apply however, if as we have learned from Ryan, that the "real" stones found by Travis are actually a set of five much smaller stones. Such a revelation changes not just the rules, but the game itself. Just as Travis titled his manuscript....for some time a "holy grail" of Travis lore for some folks seeking enlightenment..."Challenge for Superstition Gold"...these five stones and what might be on them will present a new challenge for those of us with any remaining wish to see the truth at the end of the trail.

But we know that Travis spent a considerable amount of time searching the Sups for something of value, not the LDM, but "Peralta treasure rooms"
as Ryan called them, using the "ground map" we are now told instead of any of the stones we were previously aware of.....either found or fabricated.

None of us remaining within this discussion have seen the ground map, but we have been told that it covers an area much larger than any or all of these two sets of stones apply to. We have been told that the "museum (trail) stones" were carved by Travis and reflect only part of the ground map, and that the five smaller stones also contain parts of what is on the ground map.

Knowing that Travis also had an interest in native artifacts, arrowheads and carved stones etc., and that he had some of these things in his collection, it occurred to me that Travis probably would have done research and reading about what the various prehistoric and pre-hispanic cultures of the southwest may have left behind in Arizona.
Especially the many types of petroglyphs and carved symbols such as those I posted earlier, and how to differentiate them from those made by "the Peraltas" and anyone else who may have cached "treasure" out there.
As a result, he may have been familiar with the Hopi Prophecy Rock and the four small stones that remain in the tribe's possession to this day. If so, is it not possible that he also fabricated these five small stones, basing the idea and their configuration on published drawings of the Hopi stones ?

With that in mind, and because of the fact that at least one of the maps previously posted was actually a slightly modified version of one that was already well known to long time DHrs, I thought it might be a good idea to give Ryan a "heads up"....just in case.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travis died in 1961, his wife in 1963. Not much of an interval to allow for "would have been some time after Travis' passing." Hard to believe that a recovered golden treasure resulting in "bank accounts, investments, properties, and several other fancy cars" (your quote) could have been so quickly squandered in only two years. Possible of course, but unlikely.

Why would a woman, the supposed heir to a large recovered treasure (buried gold or stolen loot), take the time on her way to cancer treatments to stop and make such a trivial sale?
Always a possibility, but unlikely.

What is much more likely is that there was no buried golden treasure, or any stash of Bonnie and Clyde's ill gotten treasure recovered.

" "bank accounts, investments, properties, and several other fancy cars" ".....was actually a quote of what Ryan had said in his last topic on the subject.
He didn't say anything about a "golden treasure", other than it being what the family still had hopes of finding, but he DID say that his discovery in Texas of these documents diverted this story 90 degrees.

View attachment RG Mar 1 16 quote.bmp

A week prior to deleting his thread, Ryan said that one of the reasons he was warning us that it would be deleted, and that no further information would be shared until the promos for his documentary were aired because of contract restrictions now in effect, was so any who wished to could copy and save what had been posted in the thread.
Do you seriously believe that he would do that, or have shared all that he and sgtfda and Old have so far, if he did not want us or anyone else who was interested to talk about any of these things ?

Possibilities....

He finds a "golden treasure" using his grandfather's map, sells it for cash and uses the cash to buy lots of stuff.

He finds a cache of "cash" down by the creek where he lied about meeting up with Bonnie and Clyde, who he also lied about knowing, but still uses the cash to buy lots of stuff.

He's driving down to Arizona from Oregon, when suddenly he makes a right turn to Vegas, where he wins lots of cash and.....buys lots of stuff.:laughing7:

OR....he just likes hanging out in the Superstitions, but gets bored cause there ain't no treasure, so he makes some stone maps to sell for lots of cash and.....buys lots of stuff.

Which one works for you ?

Personally I kinda like the Vegas scenario.
But I think the Bonnie and Clyde connection would park a bunch more viewers in front of their TV's than any "Debunking the Stone Maps Legend" could ever draw on it's own . Hint-Hint

PS: It would still be ok if he lied about knowing B&C, so long as nobody found out until the last episode.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
" "bank accounts, investments, properties, and several other fancy cars" ".....was actually a quote of what Ryan had said in his last topic on the subject.
He didn't say anything about a "golden treasure", other than it being what the family still had hopes of finding, but he DID say that his discovery in Texas of these documents diverted this story 90 degrees.

View attachment 1289244

A week prior to deleting his thread, Ryan said that one of the reasons he was warning us that it would be deleted, and that no further information would be shared until the promos for his documentary were aired because of contract restrictions now in effect, was so any who wished to could copy and save what had been posted in the thread.
Do you seriously believe that he would do that, or have shared all that he and sgtfda and Old have so far, if he did not want us or anyone else who was interested to talk about any of these things ?

Possibilities....

He finds a "golden treasure" using his grandfather's map, sells it for cash and uses the cash to buy lots of stuff.

He finds a cache of "cash" down by the creek where he lied about meeting up with Bonnie and Clyde, who he also lied about knowing, but still uses the cash to buy lots of stuff.

He's driving down to Arizona from Oregon, when suddenly he makes a right turn to Vegas, where he wins lots of cash and.....buys lots of stuff.:laughing7:

OR....he just likes hanging out in the Superstitions, but gets bored cause there ain't no treasure, so he makes some stone maps to sell for lots of cash and.....buys lots of stuff.

But I think the Bonnie and Clyde connection would park a bunch more viewers in front of their TV's than any "Debunking the Stone Maps Legend" could ever draw on it's own . Hint-Hint

PS: It would still be ok if he lied about knowing B&C, so long as nobody found out until the last episode.

Its like an idea pyramid and at the top, the museum stones apparently carved from native Stockdale, TX stone. That a very basic idea and one that can be confirmed with science and a decent geologist. If it proves to be Stockdale stone, the rest is easy. But if its something other than Stockdale stone... well, things fall apart.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its like an idea pyramid and at the top, the museum stones apparently carved from native Stockdale, TX stone. That a very basic idea and one that can be confirmed with science and a decent geologist. If it proves to be Stockdale stone, the rest is easy. But if its something other than Stockdale stone... well, things fall apart.

Shouldn't be any problem. The family has said he got the stone in Stockdale.
All they have to do is get some samples from wherever Travis got the stones and have said geologist compare them with the various Travis stones, including the museum stones.
If they match, it's a slam dunk. And would make a great episode or half-episode for the show.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Shouldn't be any problem. The family has said he got the stone in Stockdale.
All they have to do is get some samples from wherever Travis got the stones and have said geologist compare them with the various Travis stones, including the museum stones.
If they match, it's a slam dunk. And would make a great episode or half-episode for the show.

It really is that simple. Have a university geologist confirm it.
Anyone professionally involved or investing in this project would know to insist on independent testing.

A simple yet unavoidable question, is it Stockdale stone?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have serious doubts that the stones in the museum will ever be tested.....for anything.

Joe Ribaudo

No destructive testing required. Unlike what would have been necessary in order to date the rubber heart glue.
Just a look-see comparison of the stones with samples from Texas, by a qualified geologist familiar with the rocks of Texas.
If that was refused, folks might think someone already knew they wouldn't match....as Dr. Elizabeth Miksa, from DAI, has already said the stones originated in Arizona....
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gcundiff/LostDutchman/peralta/Arizona Highways.pdf

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many think shadows and sun or light sky signs are total bull. That's a good thing though because while they're talking crap about us shadow readers we're pulling treasures out of the ground left and right!

Not totally Bill.
It's just that some of us see them as too variable to be of much use for someone wanting to leave more or less permanent markings for others to follow.
Carvings and solid rock formations are much more permanent and not time or season dependent.
Dog's horse view is something which might be recognizable from the spot where he was standing, but would be much less apparent in poor lighting, or if brush grew within the opening over time, surrounding rocks fell into it, etc.
Being able to find and recognize that "horse view" would also be like the town so small, that if you blinked......
Even rock piles shaped like turtles and owls etc. are too likely to be altered by short term weather, geological events, or even passers by, to ensure they are going to remain as constructed for the long term.
So it's my opinion that a truly organized and forward thinking planner would use natural rock formations and some type of permanent markings carved into rock to mark thei route to something as valuable as a "treasure" cache.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not totally Bill.
It's just that some of us see them as too variable to be of much use for someone wanting to leave more or less permanent markings for others to follow.
Carvings and solid rock formations are much more permanent and not time or season dependent.
Dog's horse view is something which might be recognizable from the spot where he was standing, but would be much less apparent in poor lighting, or if brush grew within the opening over time, surrounding rocks fell into it, etc.
Being able to find and recognize that "horse view" would also be like the town so small, that if you blinked......
Even rock piles shaped like turtles and owls etc. are too likely to be altered by short term weather, geological events, or even passers by, to ensure they are going to remain as constructed for the long term.
So it's my opinion that a truly organized and forward thinking planner would use natural rock formations and some type of permanent markings carved into rock to mark thei route to something as valuable as a "treasure" cache.

You're right most think shadows are to varible for viewing but the reality is that's not the case. The only real thing that changes is the time of day, not year, at least for the massive shadows. Just for knowledge you have morning shadows and light mixed together forming two types of symbols. Very seldom do you have noon day shadows because the solar noon is not modern day watch noon so around two PM you see another set. Some places have mid-morning shadows and mid-afternoon billboard shadow road signs. I think it mainly depended on when the caravan arrived close to the mountain range for the instructions get shorter as the day wears on. For instance down here if you arrive at the mountain range in the later part of the day it gives you a more direct route to the fresh water and Royal Campsite than the early morning signs which show a slower gradient into the range for the caravans. Later it's more of a walkers secret trail which is a direct path up steep dangerous trails.

Huge shadow billboards give directions year round they may not be as crisp or as informative as during the seasons, but, they still show water and paths to the Royal Protected Campsite. Remember, Indians were the main problem back then and maps were not accurate but they could still navigate by the billboards they created. Just like today.

It makes me wonder what kind of tickets they issued for violating the Royal Walker Trails with animals or Indian's?

Also, shadows are rock carvings just in a photo negative solar darkness form. For instance when I discovered the royal campsite bed just like the one kenworthy shows at Superstition Mountain State Park, it had a large horse shoe symbol in shadow on it. I found the same large symbol at the gold mine site during one of my many approachment angles. So If I had been coming straight from the royal campsite I would have seen the final mountain the gold mine was located on from many miles away.

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold in the Superstitions

What I just said has me thinking about the campsiite bed that Kenworthy discovered on the main Superstition Mountain.

If what I just said is the case the symbol you're looking for what indentify's the one mountain in the range that old Jacob found his mine at would be symbolized in the bed. This is different from what Kenworthy came up with like the mini map he said was on the side. He missed the whole meaning of what's there. From the campsite bed you climb the nearest highest peak and wait. Patience and time was all they had not like our fast paced world today. So reading something that takes all day was nothing for them. I believe I counted 3-4 leagues from the camp bed down here to the gold mine site. With the angle of the bed in the Supers being what it is and the large monuments at Peralta Trail Head pointing the way they do I would dare say the mountain of gold would be in an area which has probably not been searched for it is no where near the normal places one would think it was.

Update:

I used the same distances and compass directions as the gold mine from the campsite down here. Ironically, It takes one just below three red hills.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

For all we know here in the peanut gallery, Ryan & Co may not have a definitive answer for the whole affair and are fishing for ideas from those in the know to help structure the big show.

Possibilities....

From the "facts" that we know so far (ie, aspects of the epic that can be verified and accepted as true by most objective observers):
1. B&C loot
2. Pure scam
3. Vegas luck
4. Gold cache

See, this is where an entertainment product clashes with the researcher's quest for the truth. If Ken Burns was putting this thing together for PBS, we might relax and say, "OK, now we'll get to the bottom of this. A serious, no-nonsense experience." However, even Burns produces products with editorial bias and hand-picked details to support his points of view. The "real truth", except for those who lived it, will always be somewhat at arm's length.

Enter reality TV, YouTube, our soundbite culture, et al. Competitive, ratings-reliant, sensationalized, questionable. Start out with a "lost treasure" legend, a ne'er-do-well hero, famous outlaws, the spooky Superstition Mountains, mysterious maps and carvings, and a boatload of secrets and jimmied clues - much of it provided by the hero's family. Plenty of cliff-hangers in that mix. Sounds a lot like the Doc Noss saga, played out in a different desert.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
For all we know here in the peanut gallery, Ryan & Co may not have a definitive answer for the whole affair and are fishing for ideas from those in the know to help structure the big show.

From the "facts" that we know so far (ie, aspects of the epic that can be verified and accepted as true by most objective observers):
1. B&C loot
2. Pure scam
3. Vegas luck
4. Gold cache

See, this is where an entertainment product clashes with the researcher's quest for the truth. If Ken Burns was putting this thing together for PBS, we might relax and say, "OK, now we'll get to the bottom of this. A serious, no-nonsense experience." However, even Burns produces products with editorial bias and hand-picked details to support his points of view. The "real truth", except for those who lived it, will always be somewhat at arm's length.

Enter reality TV, YouTube, our soundbite culture, et al. Competitive, ratings-reliant, sensationalized, questionable. Start out with a "lost treasure" legend, a ne'er-do-well hero, famous outlaws, the spooky Superstition Mountains, mysterious maps and carvings, and a boatload of secrets and jimmied clues - much of it provided by the hero's family. Plenty of cliff-hangers in that mix. Sounds a lot like the Doc Noss saga, played out in a different desert.

Have to disagree with you here. Burns frequently presents opposing views and sometimes leaves ideas, thoughts, entirely unresolved. A brilliant storyteller who maintains an arms length from the story. It gives the storyteller wiggle room.

No wiggle room for Ryan here.
Stockdale stone it must be.

Not impossible: 29 21.220' N 98 07.126' W

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right most think shadows are to varible for viewing but the reality is that's not the case. The only real thing that changes is the time of day, not year, at least for the massive shadows. Just for knowledge you have morning shadows and light mixed together forming two types of symbols. Very seldom do you have noon day shadows because the solar noon is not modern day watch noon so around two PM you see another set. Some places have mid-morning shadows and mid-afternoon billboard shadow road signs. I think it mainly depended on when the caravan arrived close to the mountain range for the instructions get shorter as the day wears on. For instance down here if you arrive at the mountain range in the later part of the day it gives you a more direct route to the fresh water and Royal Campsite than the early morning signs which show a slower gradient into the range for the caravans. Later it's more of a walkers secret trail which is a direct path up steep dangerous trails.

Huge shadow billboards give directions year round they may not be as crisp or as informative as during the seasons, but, they still show water and paths to the Royal Protected Campsite. Remember, Indians were the main problem back then and maps were not accurate but they could still navigate by the billboards they created. Just like today.

It makes me wonder what kind of tickets they issued for violating the Royal Walker Trails with animals or Indian's?

Also, shadows are rock carvings just in a photo negative solar darkness form. For instance when I discovered the royal campsite bed just like the one kenworthy shows at Superstition Mountain State Park, it had a large horse shoe symbol in shadow on it. I found the same large symbol at the gold mine site during one of my many approachment angles. So If I had been coming straight from the royal campsite I would have seen the final mountain the gold mine was located on from many miles away.

Time after dark somewhere after rise of a full moon is cooler and affords a leisurely working. Requires duplicate timing on future use for accuracy.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne

You wrote :

" But we know that Travis spent a considerable amount of time searching the Sups for something of value, not the LDM, but "Peralta treasure rooms"
as Ryan called them, using the "ground map" we are now told instead of any of the stones we were previously aware of.....either found or fabricated. "

The treasure rooms were not Peralta's . If they had treasure rooms , would be not necessary to mined for a winter season in 1854 when they went for the last time in the region . The Peraltas were searching for these rooms too . These rooms belonged to others who were in the region before the Peraltas , and with the help of the local Indians hid the treasures underground in rooms which were already digged by an ancient civilization . This region is depicted in the Padres map .

Now read what a very experienced dowser " saw " in the picture that i have posted from the region which is crypted in the Padres map .

"
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by markmar IMO , in this picture is what I believe to be the region of the Padres treasure rooms . This treasure is also known as the " Walter Perrine's cave of gold bars " . Perrine have heard about those rooms from his grandmother Lydian who was a 100% blood Apache and she lived at the base of Weavers Needle until she was about 10 years old . From Lydian 's description , the cave is like a " long hallway with rooms off to the right. One of them contained the stack of gold bars, another contained the underground spring, and another contained bags of "something" (his grandmother did not open them to see what was in them) piled up in a corner. "

Attachment 1288669

====================================
YES YOU ARE RIGHT.. THE CAVE IS LIKE A LONG LONG HALLWAY.. INFACT THERE ARE TWO OF THEM.. ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS LIVED UNDERGROUND FOR SURE.. BIG STACKS OF GOLD BARS ARE IN 6 LOCATIONS WITHIN THE TWO CAVES.. HOWEVER, THIS AREA -WITHOUT ANY DOUBT- IS FULL OF "SEVERE" EVIL MAGIC (INTENDED TO DISTRACT OTHERS FROM REACHING TO THEIR VALUABLE BELONGINGS), WHICH FACT MAKES DOWSING PRETTY IMPOSSIBLE FOR EVEN SKILLFUL DOWSERS BECAUSE EVERY HOUR YOU DOWSE THIS AREA YOU WILL SEE SAME TARGET MOVING FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER.. THIS IS OF COURSE IF THEY MANAGED TO CATCH A TREASURE OR EVEN AN ACTUAL UNDERGROUND CAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE. "

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While most, including Travis in his more public musings, considered the "Peraltas" of the mining and massacre legend, as well as the "DON" associated with the Waltz/LDM legend, AND the carving on the reverse of the lower trail stone, as the prima facie evidence for a Mexican based treasure, I have always found too many contradictions in those assumptions. Although I am more reluctant to use the name of any particular order in my own postings than in the past, I still cannot remove them from a very short list of suspects. As a result, I "suspect" some of what you have said may be very close to the truth.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Couldn't have said it better. I'm happy if the TV series makes a bazillion bucks for Ryan and gets syndicated to China, as long as it represents a sincere effort to tell the truth and those of us that are genuinely interested in historical accuracy, benefit from what the show has to offer. I'm keenly interested in the truth of how Travis found the stones, what exactly he found, and what led him to that particular spot at QC.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Couldn't have said it better. I'm happy if the TV series makes a bazillion bucks for Ryan and gets syndicated to China, as long as it represents a sincere effort to tell the truth and those of us that are genuinely interested in historical accuracy, benefit from what the show has to offer. I'm keenly interested in the truth of how Travis found the stones, what exactly he found, and what led him to that particular spot at QC.

i may have missed something, prob in the other mass delete,b4
the thank you thread delete
why do you still think the stones TT found,were found @ QC

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
why do you still think the stones TT found,were found @ QC

I don't mean to convey the impression that I think he found them there. It is possible he found them there, or nearby, or in the hills.

But as far as how he claimed to have found these stones, that's where I find things to be quite sketchy.

Something led him to a specific spot near or along the QC.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I don't mean to convey the impression that I think he found them there. It is possible he found them there, or nearby, or in the hills.

But as far as how he claimed to have found these stones, that's where I find things to be quite sketchy.

Something led him to a specific spot near or along the QC.

Other stone maps have been discovered at grave sites.
Not something to brag about if that's where they were found.
You would need a cover story.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. B&C loot
2. Pure scam
3. Vegas luck
4. Gold cache

Hero?

About the only thing those two have in common with Hero's is they both feel they're legends in their own minds! I can see where the angle would pose a problem. How do you make a Hero out of a liar and con artist? Turn the story backwards. Show Travis fighting his way out of a Mexican Prison and saving a Spanish Don's life. Show him receiving the stone maps from the Don on his death bed with instructions to bury them and dig it up later after he's dead and never tell anyone how he got them. Then have the Don tell him to make fake copies so no one will ever know which one was real. Make Travis into a Mexican Folk Hero. Because he could never be an American Hero. At least that way you could explain away a lot of his bad stuff without making him look like what he really is, another roadside map peddler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions