Out of commision for awhile..Think twice B4 coming to Hawaii all

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Looks like I'll be out of commision for awhile. Was jumped by a gang with ball bats, broken left arm and broke my right hand on one of their faces defending myself. You see the truth about Hawaii is, they do not want us here. Anyone that is not a Native Hawaiian is extremely discriminated against. It's the whole over through their government thing... This is the second time in just over a year this has happened. Time to go back to South Florida. The police do nothing. Therefore, no convictions, no crimes, doesn't hurt the tourism. Truth is the tourists are being beaten, robbed, etc. And it goes on unnoticed. Wish I knew before I moved here. Chao

Attachments

• bad1.jpg
    bad1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,945
  • bad3.jpg
    bad3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,926
Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Thank you all again for your thoughts and kind words. Yes I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, stitched up and casted. I'm just upset that this happened. This is such a beautiful place. This town is stright out of the Wild West, not a tourist destination spot. And Yes I do have Hawaiian friends, fact is my girl is a beautiful Hawaiian, 3 time Hula champion of the world even. I love the people, guess some just don't like me. Aloha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops finderzzs, do I detect a little back peddling here? I think most of us took your mishap at face value. Is there more to the story than related? I would like to know what precipitated the incident, but on second thought I guess I don't really want to know. Sounds like your senators and reps are very anti-gun and the laws they have in place are much like Washington DC that were just declared unconstitutional. I think appeals are still pending. I personally wouldn't live in a state where I was at the mercy of thugs, gangbangers and druggies with no means to protect myself and my family. Sounds to me like you have two choices. Either relocate or stay and take the chance that you won't be maimed or killed next time. Not trying to be a smarta$$, just looking at things from a practical point of view.
M :-\ nty

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
No back peddling here. We were walking down a dark street when attacked. (not alot of street lights here due to all the telescopes atop Mauna Kea & Mauna Loa).
And I WILL be leaving here as soon as it's possible.

Monty said:
Ooops finderzzs, do I detect a little back peddling here? I think most of us took your mishap at face value. Is there more to the story than related? I would like to know what precipitated the incident, but on second thought I guess I don't really want to know. Sounds like your senators and reps are very anti-gun and the laws they have in place are much like Washington DC that were just declared unconstitutional. I think appeals are still pending. I personally wouldn't live in a state where I was at the mercy of thugs, gangbangers and druggies with no means to protect myself and my family. Sounds to me like you have two choices. Either relocate or stay and take the chance that you won't be maimed or killed next time. Not trying to be a smarta$$, just looking at things from a practical point of view.
M :-\ nty

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I would like to add to this as being a 15 year resident of the Big Island, I never felt unsafe anywhere. But like anywhere else, there are neighborhoods and a few small towns that the locals don't like to see outsiders. It ain't a perfect world anymore. I have been to Pahoa and other small towns that you get stink eye from the locals but that's about it. The town of Pahoa was populated by a bunch of ex Hells Angels and drug dealers back in the late 60's who were escaping the law. Some of them are still there as well as a number of Hippies from the San Francisco area. This is in the center of the biggest pot growing area in Hawaii. It's basically an intersection. A place just to pass through and no reason to stop and that's the way most of the locals like it. Not many Hawaiians there. People don't carry guns there and aren't paranoid about everyone. Yes I was a former NRA member and almost succombed to the brainwashing. I was also involved in regular target shooting at our local range there and was followed by the cops several times to be sure I headed directly home with my arsenal. No big deal. Don't break the law, no hassle. When you take the attitude that you won't go anywhere without your gun, just look at Iraq. That's the type of society you will end up with. I believe in gun rights and remember that if you bring a gun to a fight ,you better be the one starting it or you will not be the last one standing most likely. This was an unfortunate incident so don't form an opinion of Hawaii from this very isolated incident.

Terry

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the means and gumption to defend your life and the lives of your family is a far cry from Iraq with a bunch of nuts running around with automatic weapons looking for a fight. And what brainwashing are you talking about? I've been an NRA member for over 40 years and carried a firearm since I was old enough (21), but I have never picked a fight or shot anyone or even pulled my weapon on anyone. You have the choice to carry or not to carry in my home state, provided you can pass the background check and successfully complete the firearms safety training. I only know of one person out of thousands who possess a carry permit who has shot someone and has had to defend his decision in court. An elderly man was recently accousted by a young man who had been drinking and the old man made two trips around his car being chased by the drunk before he finally shot him. He is only being prosecuted because of an overly zealous DA who is anti-gun. No jury in the state will convict him I feel assured.
Everytime a state has passed a proposed concealed carry law, the antigun crowd has predicted a return to the old west, vigilantyism and blood flowing in the streets. Statistics have already proved that just the opposite has occured. The violant crime rates have gone down. I think mainly because the punks and thugs never know who might or might not be capable of defending themselves. Of the recent school shootings, none have been done by a person with a legal concealed weapon permit. In fact some advocate that if concealed carry was allowed on campus the shootings may not have occured or there may have been less harm done if someone was able to put a quick stop to it. I can't argue with that logic. The only alternative is to have an armed cop in every classroom and you know the schools can't afford that.
My opinion is backed up with over 20 years of law enformcent background where I have seen things you can only imagine. So I am not just carping something I heard from the NRA. Monty

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I haven't been on TNet much of late, doing other thing during the season of snow but coming here today, I am very sadened to read this my friend. Dang.

Please get well soon and take care buddy.

BDoo

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, you are right on target. When Florida went to the "home and auto is your castle" law the anti-gun nuts were passing out fliers to foreigners landing at the airport telling them that Florida will become the wild west. It didn't happen. No running gunfights in the streets by those legally carrying weapons and no increase in crime.

When I went to college we had a number of Muslims going there. One of them I befriended saw my gun safe full of hunting guns and rifles and immediately started to talk about revolution. I believe those people have a different mindset when it comes to guns. I then realized that they may no be quite ready.

If Hawaii went to a concealed gun law I believe the kind of incident that Finderzz got into would no longer happen.

TE

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I respect both your comments but I will add that more guns in Hawaii would not be a good idea. Too many young hotheads and many fights would escalate into shootings. Re the concealed carry law, just remember that most individuals who carry don't train for combat situations regularly so most have a false sense of security. It's been proven time and time again. IMHO I believe that even with my own gun experience and I have quite a bit, I would not want the responsibility of carrying a concealed firearm. A can of bear repellent for $30.00 is a much better non lethal choice and probably more easily effective. This has nothing to do with gun rights; it's about a better choice for the situation.

Terry

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Haoleman,
I agree with you to the extent that sometimes pepper spray would be a better choice but lets face it, if you were surrounded by several guys like this guy was, a gun would be a lot handier to have at your side. You said that it would be a bad idea to carry a gun legaly in Hawaii because there are too many hot head youths. That is exactly the problem! These hot head kids already have guns but they are not getting them legally. What sense does it make for a bunch of thugs to have weapons and the innocent who are often victimized to not be able to????? It is the innocent that need to be armed (legaly) for protection. I don't say this lightly; this man is lucky to be alive. Another day and it could have been a different outcome

-Golden Silver

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Haoleman said:
I respect both your comments but I will add that more guns in Hawaii would not be a good idea. Too many young hotheads and many fights would escalate into shootings. Re the concealed carry law, just remember that most individuals who carry don't train for combat situations regularly so most have a false sense of security. It's been proven time and time again. IMHO I believe that even with my own gun experience and I have quite a bit, I would not want the responsibility of carrying a concealed firearm. A can of bear repellent for $30.00 is a much better non lethal choice and probably more easily effective. This has nothing to do with gun rights; it's about a better choice for the situation.

Terry

Are you saying that you are not willing to be responsible for your own safety? Who do you want to protect you when confronted with some shiite head? O.K., ...now I get it, you'll dial 911 and than sit down and have a discussion with the BG about the benefits of bear spray until the cavalry come to your aid 20 minutes later.

Yes sir, I see, let me live in a fantasy world, Where karma will keep me safe. Someone else will protect me.

I for one, will NOT come to the aid of any able bodied person if they have that attitude. Women, children, YES! but not to a liberal minded one.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing I said had to do with more guns. Most people who would be responsible enough to carry a concealed handgun already have them, they just don't carry them in public...or do they? Before we had the concealed carry laws I arrested a guy on at a gambling raid and he had a handgun in his waist band. At that time carrying a concealed weapon was a misdemeanor and we always found several guys carrying guns. The gambling house was being operated in a very high crime area. I asked the one guy why he always had a gun on him when he was arrested (4 times), and he said, "I'd rather you catch me with it than for one of the thugs around here to catch me without it"! Given the situation I could understand his logic. Also, alcohol and drugs sometimes seem to make an angry person immune to the effects of pepper spray or teargas. I guess adrynalin rules . I was trying to arrest a big mean guy for an assault who didn't want to go to jail. When I tried to handcuff him the fight was on! He was about 6'5 and weighed about 260. I was 5'9 and weighed 160 at the time. We carried MACE at the time and it ordinarily was very effective. This guy was high on PCP and alcohol and the MACE had absolutely no effect on him! I was very afraid I was going to have to shoot him but additional help arrived in the nick of time. It took 5 of us to control him and we all got a healthy dose of MACE from his clothing in the process. It did effect us! So, I guess if a very big thug on dope or alcohol attacks you and you squirt him with your pepper spray and he just looks at you as if nothing happened, you'd best pray something like, "Oh Lord, why did I leave my pistol at home"? And, whether to carry or not to carry is of course our choice. If you don't feel comfortable , don't do it, but please don't interfere with my right to do so. Monty

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Monty, I'm not interfering with your right to carry nor did I even infer that. I'm just saying that for the average person, it's not the best solution. I just hope that I'm not proven wrong someday. If that's your choice, that's fine as long as nothing makes your trigger finger itchy.

Terry

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Haoleman is right on! Allowing people to pack is not the right solution for everyone or every place.

Why is this thread even in "Beach Shallow Water"? It should be moved to "Everything Else".
It has nothing to do with metal detecting.

Finderzz, sorry to hear about your incident and hope you heal quickly.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
sad to hear what happened to you man,unfortunately bullies do bad things to good people and mighty nations do bad things to smaller nations, starting with Columbus. :-\

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I forwarded this to the Hawaiian Tourist Board. It's not good publicity for Hawaiian Tourism. Should have called CNN and lodged a complaint against the State. Maybe they could do an investigation into how much criminal activity that's affecting the tourists. Get them where they live, right at the purse strings. If the local police aren't enforcing these assaults then the MBI should be called in to investigate the local police to make sure officers aren't on somebody's payroll.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Every state should allow private citizens to carry a gun openly but not concealed. Every state should require all police to carry a gun concealed while off duty. The cowardly criminal element would quickly be done away with. ;D

BTW the Wild west was a myth perpetrated by hollywood as well as the dime store novel. The fact of the matter is gunfights of any kind were extremely rare things. Also mythologized that everyone carried a gun. Even though they could, very few did except when alone or in an area where there was no help to be found no matter what the danger. Like wolves, bears or criminals etc...

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
WELL GET A GUN AND SHOOT THEM.SELFDEFENCE.CARRY A BIG KNIFE IF YOU CANT CARRY A GUN.

T

trish76642

wow finderzz so sorry this happened to you, but im glad your here to tell about it and warn others.
I used to watch "Dawg,the bounty hunter" gave me a different perspective of Hawaii.
Honestly now adays you cant be to safe anywhere you go. Thats why i dont do it alone and very picky about where i go.
Take care of yourself and get well!
Trish

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
[quote='Trish ]
wow finderzz so sorry this happened to you, but im glad your here to tell about it and warn others.
I used to watch "Dawg,the bounty hunter" gave me a different perspective of Hawaii.
Honestly now adays you cant be to safe anywhere you go. Thats why i dont do it alone and very picky about where i go.
Take care of yourself and get well!
Trish
[/quote] i live in south texas never had problems like that ever.snakes,gators,dogs,bees,branches poked myself in eye,yes.lol.i'd rather deal with the nature in my area.better look for a better place to live,lol whats this world comming too cant even go md with out hassles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread