Pall means Palladium, Sweet Sterling and Unmarked Gold Honkers

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had another stellar weekend here in the garden state. Most interesting find is a white, high luster metal ring marked Pall. I've now learned that Pall means "Palladium" - not as valuable as gold, but not shabby and its the first Palladium item I've ever come across. Really stoked about that one. Flea market special.

Second prize goes to a pair of gold heart earrings which ring in at a mind blowing 18.8 grams of 14K. The woman that wore these must have had very strong ear lobes. They appear to be custom made - you can see the lost-wax casting imprints in the back of the top hearts and drill marks from where the bottoms were gouged out from a solid piece. Set with semi-precious stones (Amethyst and Zircon). These were nabbed off the earring rack in a local thrift.

Micromosaics are set in karat rose gold - somewhere around 10K.

A twisted and kinked 14K white gold herringbone necklace rounds out the gold finds. Several pieces of interesting sterling as well. Finally - a gold filled masonic ring. (Garage / Estate)

On the non PM finds - came across a pair of Lenox Crystal Glasses. Past experience has taught me to avoid Lenox, especially the glassware. However, these were cheap ($1.00 each) so I googled "Palm Tree Lenox Glasses" and discovered they are from the British Colonial Line (now retired). This particular pattern of Lenox Glassware sells very well online. Thrift in North Jersey.

Thanks for looking and luck to everyone in their hunting (as long as your not looking in my thrift shops in NJ)

Attachments

• IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 233

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I'm with you on the Lenox. I avoid most of it. That's what happens when you start producing your products in China. Wasn't Lenox founded NJ? The micro mosaics, are they brooches?

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Not surprised the larger heart earrings ended up at a thrift store, the texture on the back just screams "costume!" And I'm amazed you find so much white gold, I don't think I've ever come across any.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the micromosaics! And I was telling my brother we should move to NY and start hitting all the thrift shops two or three times a week. Maybe put out some ads in the paper about how much good stuff there is to find there.....Well just an idea.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggumup - thanks - I don't know where Lenox was founded but I'll look into it. i think the micromosaics were cufflinks, but the backs are broken off now and sanded down as it they were going to be made into something else.

Clorox - definitely looks like costume. I almost didn't take them off the rack except that they had that gleam of gold. The weight was a give away as well, though I wasn't certain until I tested, then tested again and then finally busted out the "this can't be solid gold" file and probably destroyed their jewelry value. I find a fair amount of white gold. It seems to be hiding here and there and gets mistaken for silver. This chain is extra weird, because it has one of those square links before the clasps that usually have the metal content marked on them. Not on this one. Just has the manufacturer and italy. The spring clasp itself though is marked with a barely visible 14K.

Jerseyben - thanks

Capt-Zero - stay out of my thrift shops! I'm thinking about trying to get the micromosaics repaired so they can be worn again as cufflinks. A bit gaudy in my line of work, but might be fun anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread