Papal Bulla Only two recorded on UKDFD

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Hello all, I spent the day with Crusader on one of his fields. I struggled for over 6 hours with very little, but buttons.

I did get a strap end which Cru says is Saxon, but it's pretty plain and not much to look at.

I thought I was going to go home disappointed, but right at the end I pulled out a Papal Bulla! I didn't really know what it was until I showed Cru, and then I thought he was going to cry :laughing9:

Crusader thinks it could have been the seal of Pope Leo in 1531ish. These were used to seal official documents sent by the Pope!

Attachments

• railway 013.JPG
    railway 013.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,462
  • railway 010.JPG
    railway 010.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,455
  • railway 012.JPG
    railway 012.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 4,450
  • Bulla 002.JPG
    Bulla 002.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 4,457
  • Bulla 004.JPG
    Bulla 004.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 4,489
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Don in SJ said:
Congrats Shaun, on a wonderful find and glad we all got to see the history and thanks Cru for being so knowledgeable on the subject. I think IP is too busy this weekend digging many finds that we all shall see I am sure by tomorrow at the latest, hmmmmn, maybe even another Cartwheel! :tongue3:

Don

Thanks Don! I suppose IP's reply is going to depend on what he finds today :laughing9:

I know he didn't get one yesterday :wink:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
allen said:
that is an absolutely awesome find and deserves its spot on the banner !!!
Congrats Shaun !!!!

Cheers Allen :icon_thumleft:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
First, this absolutely deserves the Banner, for historical significance alone.
Second, whether it was 1 of 2 or 2000, Papal Bulla are just plain hard to come by, unless you're detecting in a museum.
Last, where's the document for the seal...or are you keeping it for yourself??? :laughing7:

Congrats on a fantastic find. I see many things from you boys in the UK which probably should be bannered, and it's good to see this piece of history (forget the rarity) is where it needs to be!

Show us more!!!

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
DMN said:
First, this absolutely deserves the Banner, for historical significance alone.
Second, whether it was 1 of 2 or 2000, Papal Bulla are just plain hard to come by, unless you're detecting in a museum.
Last, where's the document for the seal...or are you keeping it for yourself??? :laughing7:

Congrats on a fantastic find. I see many things from you boys in the UK which probably should be bannered, and it's good to see this piece of history (forget the rarity) is where it needs to be!

Show us more!!!

Thanks DMN :thumbsup:

It's still sinking in actually! I just thought how important the Pope would have been at that time :o

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shaun up ....... the best papal Bull. :notworthy:

is the first Banner?

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
HISPAN said:

is the first Banner?

Do you mean the first banner for me?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shaun7 said:
HISPAN said:

is the first Banner?

Do you mean the first banner for me?

yes... is the first banner ?

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
Extraordinary find . . . Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ..........

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
Hey Shaun, it doesn't get any better than that. That is a find of a lifetime congrats to you for the find and the Banner and congrats to your friend Crusader for being there with you, you both desrve a patt on the back, good work always pays off. I would love to come across the pond some day and hunt over there, Happy trails for now, keep up the graet hunts, Ken.

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does everything survive the elements so well over there? Your soil must be hermetically sealed. Grats on the :icon_thumleft:banner!

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fanatastic find. Congrats! On a more serious note, just be glad European air travel is at a standstill or you might have received a visit from the Vatican already! :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah if it had been a cartwheel it would have been you crying with tears of joy. ;D

I'm familiar with those but know nothing about them, but from what's posted it's obviously a good one! :thumbsup: Funny how a day can turn around so quick... but that's what is great about detecting.

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
Yeah if it had been a cartwheel it would have been you crying with tears of joy. ;D

I'm familiar with those but know nothing about them, but from what's posted it's obviously a good one! :thumbsup: Funny how a day can turn around so quick... but that's what is great about detecting.

I actually thought Cartwheel when I heard the signal! That would have saved the day, but this is probably my best find ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread