Papal Bulla Only two recorded on UKDFD

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Hello all, I spent the day with Crusader on one of his fields. I struggled for over 6 hours with very little, but buttons.

I did get a strap end which Cru says is Saxon, but it's pretty plain and not much to look at.

I thought I was going to go home disappointed, but right at the end I pulled out a Papal Bulla! I didn't really know what it was until I showed Cru, and then I thought he was going to cry :laughing9:

Crusader thinks it could have been the seal of Pope Leo in 1531ish. These were used to seal official documents sent by the Pope!

Attachments

• railway 013.JPG
    railway 013.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,462
  • railway 010.JPG
    railway 010.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,455
  • railway 012.JPG
    railway 012.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 4,450
  • Bulla 002.JPG
    Bulla 002.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 4,457
  • Bulla 004.JPG
    Bulla 004.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 4,489
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
Yeah if it had been a cartwheel it would have been you crying with tears of joy. ;D

I'm familiar with those but know nothing about them, but from what's posted it's obviously a good one! :thumbsup: Funny how a day can turn around so quick... but that's what is great about detecting.

I actually thought Cartwheel when I heard the signal! That would have saved the day, but this is probably my best find ;D

yeah best to save the copper for another day.

Ironhorse sure didn't take long getting one!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
Yeah if it had been a cartwheel it would have been you crying with tears of joy. ;D

I'm familiar with those but know nothing about them, but from what's posted it's obviously a good one! :thumbsup: Funny how a day can turn around so quick... but that's what is great about detecting.

I actually thought Cartwheel when I heard the signal! That would have saved the day, but this is probably my best find ;D
I would have been doing Cartwheels :laughing9: if I had found it :laughing9:

SS

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

Oh!! So this is what you meant the other night.....ouch :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

Oh!! So this is what you meant the other night.....ouch :laughing7:

Yep, this particular site had a lot of small targets but very few coins left. I didn't get a coin, and his only one was the Cartwheel.

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
savant365 said:
Congrats Shaun :thumbsup: I haven't been on here for a while but I'm glad to see you are still going strong over there.

:occasion14:

HH Charlie

Thanks Charlie :icon_thumleft:

I don't know about going strong :-\ Not till harvest :(

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the find and the banner.

So what is something like this worth? ballpark...

NJ

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
N.J.THer said:
Congrats on the find and the banner.

So what is something like this worth? ballpark...

NJ

There's one on ebay for £350 :-\

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
CONRATS ON THE BANNER SHAUN...he is a knowlegable critter is your ole mate cru..good man to have on your side...helped me a bit in the past and booked in to help me more !!! :hello2: :hello2: :read2: :read2:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I think I love best about all you English folk that keep digging up the stuff you dig is that you can, and have been changing originally thought-of time frames. When people first were there in England. Invaders, Religious items of pretty damn significance. Setting back centuries of time. At most, we get the " Great, great , great, great Uncle Fred" stumbling out of a colonial tavern, losing some buttons or pocket change. Exaggerating of course, we, well not me, may stumble over a GW button, or a fine piece of military ordinance, but you guys have the ability to alter 1000's of years of history.

Or, I'm just kissing your arse in hopes you'll invite me over there.

Just explain your electrical outlets, and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Do they sell "A" batteries over there?

Your favorite American Fan,
Carl

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
What I think I love best about all you English folk that keep digging up the stuff you dig is that you can, and have been changing originally thought-of time frames. When people first were there in England. Invaders, Religious items of pretty damn significance. Setting back centuries of time. At most, we get the " Great, great , great, great Uncle Fred" stumbling out of a colonial tavern, losing some buttons or pocket change. Exaggerating of course, we, well not me, may stumble over a GW button, or a fine piece of military ordinance, but you guys have the ability to alter 1000's of years of history.

Carl

:laughing9: :laughing9:

Your kissing the wrong man's arse Carl...it was Crusader's land :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
shaun7 said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:

Carl

Your kissing the wrong man's arse Carl...it was Crusader's land :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

Ever heard of night hawking. :laughing9:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
robfinds said:
Way to go Shaun, never had a full bulla myself let alone one in that condition !!!. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
Robert,.

Cheers Rob :icon_thumleft:

It's my fav ;D

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
shaun7 said:
DMN said:
First, this absolutely deserves the Banner, for historical significance alone.
Second, whether it was 1 of 2 or 2000, Papal Bulla are just plain hard to come by, unless you're detecting in a museum.
Last, where's the document for the seal...or are you keeping it for yourself??? :laughing7:

Congrats on a fantastic find. I see many things from you boys in the UK which probably should be bannered, and it's good to see this piece of history (forget the rarity) is where it needs to be!

Show us more!!!

Thanks DMN :thumbsup:

It's still sinking in actually! I just thought how important the Pope would have been at that time :o
Yep, the Pope would definitely been pulling the strings around those days.
Always makes you wonder what was lost, just the seal, or the whole document.
And whose butt was getting handed to whom because of it.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you Redcoats find the coolest stuff.........

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:

Carl

[/quote

This is coming from a heterosexual out in the Midwest.
I will gladly kiss any and all arse's for one day of detecting at any of your sites you guys detect at.
I can have this printed and notarized, if it has to come to that.
Would prefer no cameras or cellphones, naturally.
Cheers!
Carl

dragonsbreath

Nov 26, 2004
Cwmbran,South Wales
Detector(s) used
explorer II plus Detech 15 x 12" Coil
Am well pleased for you Shaun....thats a superb condition papal bulla

Many congrats to you and long may your good finds continue.....PaulB. :headbang:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
shaun7 said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:

Carl

[/quote

This is coming from a heterosexual out in the Midwest.
I will gladly kiss any and all arse's for one day of detecting at any of your sites you guys detect at.
I can have this printed and notarized, if it has to come to that.
Would prefer no cameras or cellphones, naturally.
Cheers!
Carl

Carl, if you get here I will gladly take you on some of my land :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread