PERMISSION GRANTED

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OK, as a relative newcomer to this art I (and I'm sure many other newbies) would like to try and benefit from the seasoned wisdom of our elders..............

Experienced salesmen have 'tried and true' approaches to selling cars - I'm sure the same applies to getting permission to MD on private land.

I would love to hear how you approach folks about getting permission to MD on their property. I'm certain that those of you who have done this many times have found an approach that works more often than others.

There are many abandoned farmsteads in my 'neck of the woods' that I would love to hunt, and after being turned down on one choice spot (I picked a real doozie) I find I am a little doubtful about approaching landowners about MD-ing on their land.

E

EarthWalker

One thing I have done, is to have a simple "contract" on you that has % blank and of course permission area to sign.
Land owners seem to be interested when you have thier interest at heart, giving a percentage, even something as simple as 1/4 of the coins etc... recently I went to a farm property, introduced myself, told them I was an aspiring coin and relic hunter, that i was interested in adding to the history of the area and also if they have ever lost anything in the yard, that i'd be happy to return that to them outside of the %.

I didn't find much of anything, about 5 quarters, but she just told me to keep them and come back again sometime.
goodluck!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont give them anything, you research the place, drove there ,bought the detector, the batteries ,the coffe for the ride,THE DAMN GAS,the insurance for the car the plates the stickers,shall i go on.......
a smile and some kind words compliment there home etc. and maybe give them a small history lesson of the area you live etc they may say "sure" if you have a cheap o back up for them to use maybe plant a buffalo nickel bought from the coin shop?! ;D or "grease" them after the fact with a bought coin from a local shop for a dollar.....unless they ask for a lost item they would like found....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dekalb33 said:
dont give them anything, you research the place, drove there ,bought the detector, the batteries ,the coffe for the ride,THE DAMN GAS,the insurance for the car the plates the stickers,shall i go on.......
a smile and some kind words compliment there home etc. and maybe give them a small history lesson of the area you live etc they may say "sure" if you have a cheap o back up for them to use maybe plant a buffalo nickel bought from the coin shop?! ;D or "grease" them after the fact with a bought coin from a local shop for a dollar.....unless they ask for a lost item they would like found....

I agree. but would add......
Only Split % wise, IF they bring it up as the Only way
they will allow you on their Property, and Your Sure it's
worth it.

OP
OP
diggemall

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OK, so the approach is what?

"Hi, my name is George Jetson. I've got this obsession with digging stuff up on other peoples property, and your place looks like a great place to dig stuff up. Would it be OK with you if I poke around the place with my metal detector here, and see if anybody lost anything interesting over the years ?"

Seriously guys and gals - I'm looking for a little insight as to successful approaches on this one.

Anybody care to help out?

:)

S

stefen

Ok. Here goe serious.

A simple contract contains the following:
1. Your name

S

stefen

Sorry!

Oops. Hit the wrong key and off it went.

Ok. A contract needs four parts: a date, a subject, compensation and two names, yours and the land owners.

Use the KISS contract...simply called: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Leave an open line for a date.

Describe what you are seeking such as old coins and historic artifacts...maybe state that all holes will be no deeper that 6 inches and will be filled immediately. Don't describe that you are a WWII Vet or you limp on any day ending in a wye...keep the contract free of BS...it's a business and not Harry met Sally or leave it to Beaver.

Explain the compensation such as the owner gets 1/2 of all finds with the odd coin going to you, or whatever is standard practice in your region...

Have a line for the owner's printed name and another line for a his/her wet signature.

One copy goes to the owner and you keep the other. (By the way, a printer can make duplicate two-part contracts with white and yellow copies...... very cheap)

Don't be windy or flowery...simple and to the point.

Always use Helvetica or Arial 12 point font...DO NOT USE CREATIVE FONTS, BORDERS OR FUNKY FLOWERS, OR OTHER JUNKY GRAPHICS.

Have a thank you at the end of the doc. Omit all XXXXXX's and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's

Your name, address and phone number provides legitimacy.

And lastly, always use spell check and check for grammar (and I don't mean your Grammer in the rocker either).

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting turned down is all part of the game. Some people just don't want anyone on their property for whatever reason.
I have had good luck just introducing myself, briefly explaining my intentions, offer to show them what I find, and also make it a point to let them know when I'm finished. Sometimes you may want to ask them if it's okay to come back again.
It's my opinion that if you offer to split finds with them, it tends to raise suspicion that there may be something you're looking for that they don't know about.
Forget about having them sign a search agreement unless there is something in particular that you are looking for.
Keep it low key. You're only doing it as a hobby.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a post where a guy carries a spare detector with him and offers to give the land owner a breif lesson and let him use it to hunt around with. I don't have a spare one but I thought that was an excellent idea.

Last weekend I went to detect a old home that I had indirectly been given permission to hunt. I got there kind of early and no one came to the door when I knocked. I left a loaf of homemade bread inside the door. Later the owner said he had bought a Radio Shack detector and was never able to get it to work. After I detected the entire morining I asked the guy if he would like me to look at it. We spent about an hour playing with it. I gave him 3 or 4 wheats I had found because he wanted to bury them in his back yard so that when his grandchildren come to visit they would have something old to dig up. I had as much fun with him as I did hunting on my own.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schrecky,
I have heard of that idea too. Get the property owner involved...I like it.
By the way, If you leave me a loaf of fresh bread, you can do my yard too.

HH

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
There are a gang of threads on this very subject throughout the forum, you may be able to find what you are looking for, as its been rehashed soooooo many times.

What works for me is simply knocking on the door and asking for permission. I go looking presentable and act courteous and respectful. I don't approach homes with obviously well manicured lawns as I know what the answer will be!

I can't recall the last time I was turned down.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggemall said:
OK, as a relative newcomer to this art I (and I'm sure many other newbies) would like to try and benefit from the seasoned wisdom of our elders..............

Experienced salesmen have 'tried and true' approaches to selling cars - I'm sure the same applies to getting permission to MD on private land.

I would love to hear how you approach folks about getting permission to MD on their property. I'm certain that those of you who have done this many times have found an approach that works more often than others.

There are many abandoned farmsteads in my 'neck of the woods' that I would love to hunt, and after being turned down on one choice spot (I picked a real doozie) I find I am a little doubtful about approaching landowners about MD-ing on their land.

Don't give up because of a turn down or even a number of them. Farmers, ranchers, country people in general, are a pretty congineal lot but have an instintive distrust of outsiders. Going in and asking to MD is no different then going in and asking to hunt or fish. If you're interested in an area, ask everyone in that area. You will find someone willing to let you. Once you're in with one, keep going back, offer to share a find with them. In other words, make a friend. Word will get passed around and you will be able to get in on others in the area. The key is, make a friend and his nieghbors will come around. What it boils down to is how good do you believe the area is and how much time are you willing to put into it.
Deepsix

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If any of you would like to metal detect my lawn you dont need a contract or anything. I can gurantee one thing though, its been searched for hours by me and you wont find anything.

- CC

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Interesting topic. So far I've hit My own land pretty good,My brothers and some playgrounds. I've been scoping out some abandoned homesites and when the weather cools down and the first frost hits( helps knock the weeds down) I plan to try a few. Being introverted, asking permission is an essential but uneasy thing to do.I reckon a natural gift of gab would help- -
My point is I believe asking and recieving permission is easier for some than others. What do Us introverts do???

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't know guys, about the use of written contracts. If I were a homeowner & a perfect stranger came to my door W/ A Contract I would wonder what he knew that I didn't. In other words, Is there something of real value buried here?

I always KISS (as stated before)

Just knock on the door, intro yourself, explain about MD'ing, assure them you will cover your holes , & be sure to stop on the way out & show them your finds, & offer them half or?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blackjack,

I feel your pain. I to am not excited about asking for permission. I can talk to anyone when just talking but asking permission is hard for me. I have thought about getting in the car every Saturday morming and just going up to older places and asking permission, but any little thing will get in my way. I,ll keep trying to think of a way that will work for me. I think that the only thing we can do is just keep trying. ;)

Ed Donovan

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have no problem with it, myself. I dunno why. Maybe its like public speaking? Ed, try and imagine the homeowner in their skivvies, maybe that'll work, lol!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ed,
If thats really you on your avatar, you look like a friendly and honest kind of guy. I'd let you detect.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro,
I don,t know if such a visual will help me, but it sure would make for one fun day.

BK,
Thanks, I guess I am an honest guy, but still a little uneasy with the thought of requesting permission. It is funny because I talk with people all day as a technical rep/salesman for my company. I easily advise them what they need and feel I give honest answers. You would think I could gab with the best. Where is "Dale Carnegie" when you need him? LOL

Ed Donovan

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give them a percentage if they give me a percentage of my equipments value, my gas to drive their, and my precious time. If they want a percentage, I move on, their are many places to detect without a greedy landowner following you around looking over your every move.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions