PERMISSION GRANTED

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night Stalker said:
I will give them a percentage if they give me a percentage of my equipments value, my gas to drive their, and my precious time. If they want a percentage, I move on, their are many places to detect without a greedy landowner following you around looking over your every move.

Your equiptment, your gas, your time....very true....but it's their land. Greed works both ways. To agree to a fair cut with a land owner works out for both parties and will often lead to more contacts. Have a good one.
Deepsix

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of putting together a general brochure or pamplet about Metal Detecting or MD Clubs or something TO LEAVE with them if they say NO. Maybe list the rules WE should all use when on someone property... Modify the Boy Scout Oath, I don't Know!! Anything we would like them to know that WE didn't get a chance to say.
It would be a KISS type thing, but It might open the door for a later visit. Maybe attach my business card (make one up if you don't have one) to it that has my name and number.
If this prompts some great idea from someone, let us Know!
Maybe also get some 16 month Calanders made up with my name #, hand that to them! It would be useful for awhlie.
For Older folks, what about leaving them a Google-earht Picture of their House,,,,,, I'm just brain storming here.

T

TreasureTales

I haven't tried this myself yet, but I've been thinking about doing it for quite some time. I guess I haven't done it because I've found places to MD without doing it. And what is IT I'm talking about?? I've thought seriously about placing an advertisement in the local paper. Something like "have metal detector -willing to travel" and state that I'll metal detect someone's property in exchange for a 75/25 split with them. I get the 75%, of course. That way, they contact me and I don't have to ask for permission. Asking permission is easy for me sometimes and not so easy other times...guess it depends on my own mood at the time. Anyhow, all you introverted, shy folks why not try taking out a small ad in the newspaper of the town in which you want to detect? You might have to run it for a few weeks, and you will need an answering machine or some other way of receiving their calls (or emails) if you aren't home. They may not call again because maybe THEY are shy, too. so be sure your answering machine/service is reliable and working properly. And remember, older folks may not want to use email or go to the trouble of writing a letter, so try to make the communication portion as easy on as many people as possible. I've thought about leaving my phone number and name in bold font and my email in smaller font. I'd also state when the best time of day/week is to reach me in person. Then they have the option of calling when I'll be home or of just leaving a message -- in case they are a bit shy, or too cheap to carry on a longer conversation and want me to return their call. I've always believed that the best way to do anything is to make it as easy and painless for the other person(s) involved as possible. It's called consideration, which it seems is a dying philosophy in this country. Re-invent consideration and maybe we'll get more places to hunt. Here's an idea for the advertisement I've been contemplating:

HAVE METAL DETECTOR -- WILLING TO TRAVEL
Experienced and responsible metal detector hobbyist
seeks private property to search. Let's work out a
win-win arrangement.
Treasure Tales
(555) 555-1212 M-F evenings, or leave
message. Email: [email protected]

By stating "win-win arrangement," you haven't tipped your hand about the split of any "treasure" that may be found. Instead, it leaves the interpretation up to the reader. Maybe they'll interpret that portion as meaning you'll look for their lost ring for free if they allow you to hunt the property and keep anything else you find. OR maybe they'll opt for a smaller split if you don't mention it up front. I believe in letting the other person steer the conversation, if at all possible.

So the initial outlay of money for the ads might cost some bucks, but the results might be great. AND it eliminates the need to ask permission since the reader is the one who will make the initial contact. I'm going to run this ad some day just out of curiosity, if nothing else.

Oh, one more idea: even if I got a call from someone who lives in a less-than-exciting neighborhood, I'd follow-up and do the site. Why? Because that contact might lead to another. The best advertising is word-of-mouth, and one satisfied landowner might mention me to somebody else afterwards.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales, I recently did something similar to your idea. I placed an ad in the lost and found section of my local paper. My ad read like this: Lose something? Metal detectorist interested in finding your lost item. Phone # It ran for 2 weeks and I received exactly 0 calls on it. It wasn't the cheapest thing to do, so I probably won't be doing it again. I'm not trying to discourage anyone , just sharing my experience. Take care. Bill

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting permission is one of the most difficult aspects of our hobby. Here are a few things that I have realized work best for me after 14 years worth of metal detecting:

I don't mind doing the percentage thing, but only if they bring it up. Also, that is the only case where I will use a written contract. I prefer to talk with the property owner in person, and a piece of paper is less personal and it also occasionally looks suspicious to a property owner when you ask them to sign something. Therefore, my contract says "By allowing Buckleboy to use his metal detector on my property, I consent to the printed terms above." That way they don't have to sign anything once they say yes. I also don't make contracts long or wordy. Too much to read. Too suspicious-looking. Keep it simple. Most of my permission is oral permission, not written. Usually the owners seem fairly disinterested in what I'm doing. I always explain exactly what it is that I will be doing, and also let them know that I will be actually recovering the items, which will require a small amount of digging. I explain the process, sometimes even offer to demonstrate it for them, and let them know that the grass will not be damaged and that afterwards there will be no sign that it was ever distrubed. Better to be up front and honest and get turned down than to cut that first plug and get kicked out. Property owners all talk to each other, especially in rural areas. Keep your excavations neat! If you get a bad reputation for ransacking someone's yard, you may unknowingly lose permission to hunt other awesome sites close by. When I get permission, I usually like to say "Hello, I'm Buckleboy, and I was wondering if you WOULD ALLOW me to use my metal detector in your yard for an hour or two this afternoon/evening/morning." I like to put the limitations on the amount of time when I talk to them. I might bend this estimate slightly longer than the stated time if I find some great things, but at least this way they know I won't be in their hair all day. (Hence, they're more likely to allow me to hunt in the first place.) Besides, I look forward to coming back. Sometimes I do bring a fresh-baked good or a basket of fruit when I pay a second visit as a thank you. Oh, and by the way I usually don't "salt" what I find, because if I return they may want 50% of what I find. When I am certain that a site is pretty well worked out, I may give them a Barber dime or two on my last visit. And I do always show them what I find and thank them for letting me spend an enjoyable afternoon out of doors. I want to show them most or even all of my digs and say goodbye if they are inside or absent while I am metal detecting. When I'm done, I want to make sure they know that I am finished intruding on their property. If they leave and I have to go while they are not at home, I leave a thank you note. Regardless of our gasoline, coffee, batteries, etc., property owners don't owe us a thing. We have invaded their lives. I try to approach the situation with humility and respect, and it has worked well for me so far. I hope this helps.

-Buckleboy

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
I think the garage sale idea is a good one.

Another alternative would be to offer to MD someone's property for a fee, and give them everything that you find. Especially people who are selling their homes. I would want to MD my property if I were selling my home because I would want to know if there was something valuable in the ground before I signed it away.

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Well here's my two cents on the subject. I've only been metal detecting off and on for the past couple of years, but im used to asking permission to use peoples land. And it sounds like were in the same kind of area. Up here in Central New York theres a lot of history, and lottss of old abandoned houses and farmsteads.
Usually I only metal detect lawns of people I know. There main lawn that is. All my other sites that I go to are in farmers fields and lands that are not on there main property. So usually the answer for me is yes whenever I ask. In fact I have never been turned down.
Asking to metal detect someones main lawn is a lot harder. Think of it like you yourself would see it. I personally wouldn't want someone walking around my house digging holes, or when i wasn't around. And being a Treasure Hunter at heart, I would want all possible spoils myself :)
Luckily though theres ton's of old abandoned homes and parks and swimming holes and such that I don't even have to bother with the hassle.
Just my thoughts however. Good luck and hope you find lots of good treasures :)

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
If I owned property and someone who I never met before approached me about MD'ing it. I'd likely say no.

Possible reasons for saying no:

1) Might be the appearance of the individual.

2) The thought that the person might be "casing the joint" with plans to steal something.

3) Theres the possible concern for the safety of other family members with some stranger wandering around the property.

4) The idea of signing a contract based on the honesty of someone I've never met before.

5) The possible problem of liability should the person injure themselves on my property. (Even if allowed for in the contract, as the owner, I would have been expected to know of any potential hazards, thus making me responsible.)

6) MDer's often like to keep the finds and not sell them, so how does one split the loot when its a valuable coin, or other artifact? The average property owner isn't likely to know the value of a find, particularly when its some encrusted lump of unknown material and origin. And why should they trust you to report back "all" your finds?

Those who choose not to ask, are looking to get themselves either criminally prosecuted, or shot. I don't know the laws in the various U.S. states, but in Canada, its actually considered a break-in if you enter onto land that has a fence, even if its only a fallen down old barbed wire fence.

Personally, I'd ask anway, but I'd at least make an effort to meet and talk with a property owner in a semi-social setting where they had the opportunity to get to know a person. At the very least, find someone who knows the owner and who might phone them and recommend they allow you onto the property.

F.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an abbreviated form I use. I also have a form that is similar to this, but additionally spells out details related to sharing of finds and how to choose who gets what should something of true value be found. So far, I've only had to use this short form and don't plan to mention the long form and sharing unless it comes up in the meeting. I feel the liability waiver and assurance to treat the property well is the important part. I get 2 copies signed - on for me and one for the property owner.

LIABILITY WAIVER AND PERMISSION AGREEMENT

I, William H. Jones, in return for permission allowing me to metal detect on property owned by

______________________, do hereby waive any responsibility or liability on his or her part for my safety or well being. This document being proof that I recognize that I am responsible for any risk or damage to myself and that said landowner is to be held blameless in the case of accident or injury.

In addition, I promise to fill any and all holes I should happen to dig and to do my best to leave the property in as good a condition as when I entered.

William H. Jones _____________________ Property Owner ________________________

Date: Date:

William H. Jones
Address
Phone etc.

Have fun and remember when asking, the worst they will do is say "no".
Dig deep and often,
luvsdux

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself try to stay away from real nice manicred lawns because a lot of people will think you are going to destroy their hard work . I look more for abandoned houses or open fields that don't have to be perfect when you fill in the holes. I always make conversion with people and bring up the hobby after talking about history and what not. I have turned people's permission down because I know how much they have put in to their yards but just try to go into the surrounding fields and what not. I would rather just relic hunt in the woods but not much to find here in this part of North Dakota other then shotgun shells. A friend of mine got permission to hunt a yard and after the hunt the owner asked to see what he found and grabbed half his loot. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread