planets moons stars

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daves comment on an ealier topic made me think for a second, here in illinois weve had a drought (up north) this i beleive is the confluiance with mars etc....even talking to a few guy who fish local, even the local fishing spots they frequent they said hadnt pruduced they way they used to...do the planets (full moon,waxing waining,etc) effect target/s....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They effect tides,

( & Werewolves :D ) , So I would think in a Minor way Yes

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats what i was leaning toward..

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They probably effect the hunter more than the detector operation.

Ed Donovan

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have always thought the full moon does things to peoples minds. My brother is a retired Pa. State Trooper, and he told me that during time of a full moon, they could always except adnormal things to happen which very seldom happen at other times. They would expect anything out of the ordinary.
Best to stay home on those nights.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandparents owned a restaurant in Westwood in LA from like 1940 to the mid 80's. My mother worked there and I even bussed tables there since I was 9. It was common knowledge that the clientele on full-moon nights were definitely different than normal and you could expect some wierdness.

Anthropologically, we used to hunt at night during full-moon, and, of course, human female's menstrual cycle is tied to the lunar cycle, so there are many natural reasons we might behave a bit different on those nights.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good idea hmmm actually ive seen a log of record fish the first 3 days before and the 3 days after and the day of most are caught..kind of leary about doin a moon test ill have SWR all over me like a bum on a ham sandwich he'll poop all over my cereal.... :D ;)

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Um, no.

The facts don't support it. Yes, the Moon and the Sun have effects on tides, not only on water but on the entire crust of the Earth. But none of the other planets have a measurable effect on the Earth via gravity (or any other means.) Why? Well, it has to do with the distances and masses involved. Newton's equation: F=(G x M1 x M2)/r^2 where F is force felt, G is "the gravitational constant," M1 and M2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between the two. In other words, if the distance between two objects doubles, they will feel only one-fourth of the effect of gravity on each other. The moon is close enough to us to have an effect, but as Mars at its closest is 150 times further away. Since Mars masses about 10 times as much as the moon, we can then figure out the difference in effect. The difference in forces is signficantly more than a factor of 2000 -- that is, the mass of Mars affects the Earth one-two thousandth as much as the moon. And that's only at its closest to the Earth. The other planets, being so much further away, have even less effect. Add them all up, they still don't come to one-thousandth the effect as the moon. (The Sun has an effect because of its incredibly greater mass, but still is much less than the moon.)

On top of all this, I was just going by "gravitational influence" using the "inverse-squared" relationship. If I recall, actual tidal effect follows more of an "inverse-cubed" effect. This changes the effect of Mars to less than one-three hundred thousandth of the moon!

To ascribe any effect on the Earth from any or all of the other planets just doesn't add up. Literally.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way I don't believe in any of that stuff, knock on wood! Monty

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(The Sun has an effect because of its incredibly greater mass, but still is much less than the moon.)
so the sun has more effect on an object then the planets?

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
fleamistress -- Ever hear of Sir Isaac Newton? The guy who had an apple fall on his head? He formulated the basic theory of gravity, which still holds to this day (at least, on the scale we're talking about.) Simple high-school physics. If you have two planets that are 1000 miles apart, and move them to 2000 miles apart, the force of gravity between them is one-fourth as strong as it was. One over the distance squared. Every time you double the distance, the force between goes down to one-fourth of what it was. Every time you triple the distance, one-ninth. Etc. So something that is one hundred times further away from us than the moon will have one-ten thousandth the effect on us, assuming it were the same mass as the moon. So Mars can have no noticeable effect on us.

Monty -- if you don't believe it, you deny all laws of physics. Throw away your MD -- it depends on those same laws, in a different application! (I'll take it if you don't want it.)

dekalb -- Right. The sun has a little effect on us tidally, because it is so much more massive than the other planets. But since the Moon is so much closer than the sun (something like 400 million times closer) it has more effect than the sun. Remember, I'm only talking about gravity here. Not light or heat.

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got you CT, sometimes i trip over my own dodecahedron.... ;D thanks for the math lesson i never took physics but the way you explain it makes sense

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
RealdeTayopa said:
Hola capt Trips: In essence you are quite correct. but as slight as the effect is, it manages to keep our planetary system in line and orderly no? ohehehehehehh

Tropical Tramp

Well, yes and no. The original question was as to how much tidal influence the other planets have on the Earth. The answer to that is "virtually none, and in practice an unmeasurable amount." But your point is correct -- when you consider the effect the sun has on all the planets. Believe me, Jupiter has no effect on keeping Venus in orbit. That is an effect of Solar gravity. And, as I said above, the sun has so much mass that it does have an effect on objects the size of asteroids up to billions of miles away.

DeKalb -- yes, thank you. I'm glad I can help you understand the concepts. Yes, the numbers and formulas can get a bit confusing, but if you see the concepts behind them, you don't have to follow the exact calculations. In this case, we can compare the gravity of planets to fading out just like light from a light bulb. A 60 watt bulb is bright enough to read by if you are in the same room as it, a mile away it can still be seen although you can't read by it. But if you are 100 miles away, you won't even be able to see it. You would need an incredibly bright light source to be able to read by it 100 miles away -- like the light beam on top of the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, which IS bright enough to read by 100 miles away. In this case, the gravitational effect of Mars is like the light from a 60 watt bulb, and the gravitational effect of the Sun is like the Luxor light.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Captain Trips [
Well, yes and no. The original question was as to how much tidal influence the other planets have on the Earth. The answer to that is "virtually none, and in practice an unmeasurable amount.
Agreed my friend.
Tropical Tramp

oldman

Dec 5, 2004
Hello All
My Dad, work at a mental prosin in Beacon NY (Actually Fishkill) and the inmates were all Killers that were classified as crazy. Some of these people when there was no full moon acted like normal people but when the moon was full it would scare you to See what they become. some would sound like wild animals. They would lockthen up in padded cells so the wouldn't do any harm to themself's. Well one got lose and they looked for him and my Dad had the misfortune to find this animal hidding in the warehouse. he jump down from so crates, grabbed my Dad and pulled lead pencils from my Dad's pocket and stabbed my day in the face. Well blood poison got into a tooth of my Dad;s and they pulled the tooth but the blood poison travailed to my Dad's blood stream and entered his heart and he died. My Precious Dad was only 37 years old and that was many many years ago!

Bill

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi old one, I feel sorry for your loss, I know how you must feel. Today blood poisoning can generally be controlled fairly easily.

Having worked in San Quentin, Calif max security prison while going to college, I know exactly what you mean, they come out of the woodwork..

Tropical Tramp

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
please consider other factors......such as the ratio of negative ions/positive ions in the air.........full moon is high positive....makes some people feel bad...act nuts

negative rich areas like oceans/water falls make us feel good

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
fleamistress said:
But i think I get that you think the Moon has a significant impact on earth, as I do--re, fishing, etc. What else do you think the moon influences particularly around MD'ing?

Yes, I cannot deny that the Moon has impact on the Earth -- that is the main source of tides. And the tides do affect fish, they've evolved over millions of years to take advantage of high and low tides. And the varying light levels at night due to the phases of the moon have also had an effect on the evolution of nocturnal creatures. (Heck, even Humans are affected by lunar cycles -- it's no coincidence that "women's monthly cycles" follow the same period as the Moon's orbit around the earth.)

But I cannot rationally believe that lunar influences have any effect on metal detecting -- if you noticed the examples I gave above, they were all based on evolution of living creatures. I can not see any way that lunar cycles could possibly effect the process of metal detecting. MD's depend upon electromagnetic properties of metals, and there is nothing in the phases of the moon that can change that. IF the moon had any significant magnetic field, there could be a very remote possibility of such happening, but it is magnetically dead.

Conclusion: Yes, lunar cycles affect the earth in regards to tides, and tides do have an effect on life. But there is no known physical process which would enable the moon to affect metal detection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread