Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I guess how much I would pay depends on what the money for the permit went for. I don't have to buy a permit for detecting here but I do for fishing. The money for the fishing permit goes directly to the Department of Conservation so I don't mind paying at all. If the money for a detecting permit went to preserving the hobby for everyone to enjoy it wouldn't bother me but if it just goes into a general fund for them to dip into for whatever they want I would probably just find spots that didn't require a permit.

HH Charlie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 2007 I Purchased a Permit
Cost $100.00 for over 20,000 acres of land
some with abandond homes
like this from 1845

ix009041.jpg

& even Defunct Towns.

Permit was Good for one year,
but Most of the lands I wanted to hunt
were Grown Wild by the Spring Through Fall
so didn't repurchase since.

By now they should have some new lands added
& If the Permit system is Available
Next year, I May Try again.

Other permits I'v applied for were Free at the time

Attachments

• ix009041.jpg
    ix009041.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 633

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ALL the national parks, seashores and forests were opened up for metal detecting on a permit (reasonable) basis I would go along with it.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i wouldn't mind paying a reasonable priced permit if it opened up places i wouldn't normally be able to hunt, but if it was for public areas (parks,playgrounds, or anyplace public) then i'd pass on that idea, what would be next.....a permit to play frisbee in the public park??

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Permit? Permit for What?

Your going to Be Permited to be told where and when you can use your time, effort, batteries and money to detect?

Do you pay a Permit to play Golf?

Do you Pay a Permit to Hike?

Do you pay a Permit to Bike?

What Stinking Permit?

I don't Need a Stinking Permit.

Retirement.jpg

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know of any "free" golf courses, even the public ones.......green fees would consititute paying for permission. Some places DO charge to bike or hike, so, again, a permit fee. I have a permit to locate on all our city parks, however, it was free and good for one year.

I have to along with savant on this one.......I wouldn't mind if the fee was fair and the proceeds went toward enhancing and preserving the sport of MD'ing.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No permit required here but there are the 3.00 parking fee next year Im going to fork out the 40.00 for a season pass!!!!!

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
This Cracks me UP!

I get pissed paying to sleep over night on my property called the State Park. They Receive Millons of Dollars to Maintain those Closes Off , Fenced In UnTuchable Places.

Why would I need to pay $14.00 to spend the Nignt on what belongs to ME?

What ta hell. You own it.

Do you think you should pay a PERMIT to walk down the Road?

Keep letting them at it and you will.

Maybe we should pay a FEE to get in the Park?

Maybe we should pay a Fee to Drive in the Woods?

Maybe We should pay a Fee to Pick up the Rocks?

Maybe We should pay a Fee to Drink the Water in the Streams?

Thank God I will not be around long enough to see it, but its comming.

Just let them do it and they Will.

Have you Ever Heard the Word NO?

Try it. Tell Them NO!

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Roland58 said:
I don't know of any "free" golf courses, even the public ones.......green fees would consititute paying for permission. Some places DO charge to bike or hike, so, again, a permit fee. I have a permit to locate on all our city parks, however, it was free and good for one year.

I have to along with savant on this one.......I wouldn't mind if the fee was fair and the proceeds went toward enhancing and preserving the sport of MD'ing.

Thank God I live in the Desert. I can Put in the parks with NO FEE, I can Detect with NO FEE, If I wanted too , I could Bike from here to Colorado, NO FEE!

LOL!

Question? What does a Dog Licence entitle your dog to do?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Homefires, I get where you're coming from but if you think you (or any of us) own our state or national parks you might want to do a little research on the matter. They have turned them into roadside tourist traps that have nothing to do with "free public use". Just google "who owns our state/national parks" and start reading. If you are upset now let me know what you think after you read some info on this subject. I know not everything you read is the truth but somewhere in all the BS out there some of it has to have some basis somewhere.

I'm not trying to start any kind of argument here but telling them "NO" would do you about as much good as telling a cop that he can't give you a ticket because you pay his salary. Actually I totally agree with you that we should never have to pay to enjoy our hobby that needs little to no supervision. But there are a few out there that dig huge holes and leave trash everywhere, they night hawk protected sites like battle fields and actual archaeological sites, some of them blatantly trespass on private property. Those are the ones that made it possible for the government (local, state and federal) to hit us up for money. I'll stick to getting permission and hunting private property (some dumba$$ here already got us kicked out of the city parks) we don't even get the option of buying a permit, it is just not allowed anymore because one guy ruined it for all of us.

HH Charlie

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Homefires, once again, like savant, I know where you are coming from and agree with the basis of your points. It's rather like the quote wrongly attributed to Chief Seattle that said, "How can you buy or sell the Earth?" Very profound.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When talking Paying for Permit to Hunt,
I'm talking Private Land.
Posted No Trespassing.

I Have never been asked to pay for
Permits to hunt "Public" land

I would for State Game Land which, here in
PA, Is not Realy Public, or Government Owned.

I Would Grumble Loudly
over permits to hunt
Schools or Public parks,
Simply because I'v already
got most of the Best finds out of them
& Won't pay to Hunt $2.00 in clad

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Would I buy a permit to hunt the state game lands here in Pa. YES like Jeff said they are not public or government owned. Purchased thru licenses and obtained thru wills.
I do purchase a permit each year to enter and park at the parks run buy the Army Corp. of Eng. Most of these were built for the purpose of flood control and in the process many contain lots of old farms and homesites.
Would I purchase another permit for similar areas? Yes in a heartbeat. If getting a permit is what it takes to allow me to enjoy my hobby I will get one.
I am sorry but to me this hobby is the same as hunting-license needed-permit,
fishing-license needed-permit, even driving-license needed-permit. Do you go hunting - you need a gun, or fishing - you need a rod, or drive - you need a car. Well look at it we all go dirt fishing and need a detector to hunt for the metal.
Just my opinion
Joe

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I would have serious reservations about buying a permit to hunt on publicly owned land.

If the money for the permit was going to be used for something constructive and not just fatten the coffers of the state, I might have a different point of view.

What is the money used for in the state of NY or anywhere for that matter. Sometimes the elected officials sit around and dream up new fees and taxes just to have more money to waste. Just MHO.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would pay a tax to hunt on Padre. The powers that govern the island says they don't allow metal detectorist because they dig holes. While we were being explained this liberal logic, we were watchin a group of drunks dig a four foot deep hole to build a five foot tall "sandcastle"

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kenley said:
I would pay a tax to hunt on Padre. The powers that govern the island says they don't allow metal detectorist because they dig holes. While we were being explained this liberal logic, we were watchin a group of drunks dig a four foot deep hole to build a five foot tall "sandcastle"

I didn't know that Padre was off limits to detecting........that's a bummer. Regarding any holes, it is a beach!......even if we didn't cover the holes, Mother Nature would!! :dontknow:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it isn't taxed it costs you to use it. That's the creed of our government from City to Federal it seems. But in the old days you had to pay a fee to take a pee! I got this little plackard from an old streetcar waiting station. It dates back to 1907. In the 1950s my grandmother use to take me to town with her and we rode the trolly. I was about 5 or six years old. I had to go really bad and she didn't have a nickel so she told me to climb under the door! There may be a warrant out for my arrest for taking an illegal whiz!? Monty

Attachments

• DSC01537.JPG
    DSC01537.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 414

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG I'm getting old. :o I remember the pay toilets that used to be in downtown Pittsburgh along the old streetcar lines.

Permit is just another word for taxes. I think dogs should revolt. A dog license...I have to pay to have a dog. Now that's about as rediculous as it gets and look at how many people in this country own a dog. They were proposing a cat license here a few years back but cat owners screamed and it didn't pass. But what's different from a cat than a dog? Both furry pets, eat, etc...

If they can tax your personal posessions year after year for no other reason than it breathes air....guess the same logic would apply to metal detectors. Tax you (annual permit) year after year to own one...maybe because it uses batteries...

Yea, that's it ...a special battery tax...yea...that's the ticket. :laughing9:

Al

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
If ALL the national parks, seashores and forests were opened up for metal detecting on a permit (reasonable) basis I would go along with it.

I started a free permit system for our parks mainly so the managers knew who was detecting in the parks incase of excessive damages. If you don't tell some of these "hunters" they will dig holes in newly planted grass. If the states or cities realize an income from metal detecting like they do for hunters and fishermen they would be more interested in allowing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread