Phony gold claims selling on eBay

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
I don't post on here as much as I should or could. Too busy reading and exploring the desert but something caught my attention the other day and thought I share so T-net folks don't get taken.
There is a guy on eBay selling claims. No big deal, lots do.

However here is the difference:
Guy lists up claims that look legit. Go have a look: eBay #140989898466
Even has a link to Bureau of Mines to prove the claim as legitimate.

www.nationalbureauofmines.us
Funny thing is the mining bureau website is fake!
It's nearly an exact copy of the proper mining agency which has the same address except it's .org vs the listed .us
www.nationalbureauofmines.org
The fake mine website lists an address in Reno but with google earth, the address shows it's a postal mailing shop!
316 California Ave Reno, NV 89509 ‎
The real bureau is in Utah.

A quick whois search on the domain "www.nationalbureauofmines.us" came back with the real name behind the fake mining bureau site. The guy selling you the claim OWNS the fake bureau site that will register your newly bought claim! Now how is that possible?

States in the auction in regards to the phony mining site:
"This means that your claim boundaries, all paperwork and ultimately your documented ownership will be certified and registered with the NBOM in Reno, NV and will become a permanent record for all of history to see and for your security."
Where's the security if it's his own phony site? All that means is there is NO security.

Which bring me to another thing.
Listing is made to look as if it's listed by The Department of Land Transfer, complete with white US Gov looking truck and a phony seal.

ImgServlet
It also has statements about how this "department" and the Bureau of Land Management have partnered up.
BLM has never heard of this guy or his phony department.
The Department of Land is a company he started. Just conveniently left of the "Ltd" from the auction and his truck.
And all the info relating to mining claims on the fake site is for...Dept of Land Transfer.
By the time you figure out what's happened, it's 10 months later and you're ass out.
Can't with 100% certainty if the actual claim is phony but guy sure went thru alot of trouble making up bullsh*t if it is a good claim.
Found this while looking up info:

Steven Cyros Attempts to Deceive Buyers Yet Again | Gold Rush Expeditions
Draw your own conclusions but be careful out there.
Irish

Upvote 0

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Here's the deal. been drinking a bit so bear with me. There are a BUNCH of claims open for the taking right now. Especially in cali with the ban. They(claims) have been dropping like flies in the last three years. Do your research, find a place and claim it for pennies on what they sale for. BOOTS on the ground is the key. If you don't live in the area and would like a productive claim then I suggest you do your research in a area, take a vacation and claim a spot. Plenty of help on the Internet but you can't make a valid claim without actually getting off your butt and working for it.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow that's crazy, I have seen entire gold companies turn out to be fakes, this industry is plagued by get rich quick schemes and scams. I read the financials of some so called legitimate companies and believe many are shells in which the owners are just fleecing the investors. As for this guy you should definitely notify the real website asap. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Irish1941

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
As long as fees are paid, BLM doesn't care who does what to who.
And yeah, there is claims all over right now but some folks just can't get here to inspect plus this fool won't let you see it until you've paid for it.
The true web site knows and they posted a disclaimer but only really helps if you can find the real one in the first place.
This guy is just a snake. And there is no way to shut him down either. eBay has no way to contact them anymore and once the after-sale calender has stopped at 45 days, you have zero recourse.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would gather all the info together, write it up and submit it to the
eBay fraud department. They do have a responsibility to act once they
have been made aware of criminal activity. You've done all the homework
for them, and the evidence seems pretty damn convincing.

They can cancel all his auctions under his ID, but he can re-register under
a different ID and IP and just start all over. If you see that just turn them in again,
and reference their old user ID.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Paper Filing, Lies, No gold,,Forked Tounges... Welcome to the wonderful world of Gold Claims!!

OP
OP
Irish1941

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
Dizz, by all means, give it a try. There is NO way to contact eBay about this that I could find. And the hard work was very easy. Took me an hour to figure this out. Guy is pure amateur. MREdepot is his user name.
I thought state attorney maybe but they won't care either.
A$$ whoopin'? I hope more sooner than later.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this on Google answers,
I copied and pasted the rest link at bottom of page:

"eBay does have actual phone numbers though:

1-800-322-9266
1-888-749-3229
1-877-438-3229 (California only)
1-408-558-7400
Hours 7:30 AM 5:30 PM Pacific Time M-F

The initial voice menu:
Know Persons Extension press 1
Dial by name Directory press 0
Customer Service press 2
Operator press 3

Above information obtained from:
http://www.auctionguild.com/generic17.html

I have called the first two numbers and verified that they work. They
will allow you to contact eBay's Customer Support department during
business hours. Please note that if you hit the option for "Safe
Harbor inquiries" that appears on one of the voice menus, you will
receive a message simply telling you that all claim-related matters
need to be submitted via email. As such, you will probably want to
select the general option in order to speak with an actual customer
service representative. Alternately, selecting the Operator option
from the top menu may put you in touch with someone who can transfer
you to the Safe Harbor department (the area that handles fraud and
claims).

Since you stated you have already submitted a claim, you probably know
the location of eBay's Fraud Protection Program area, but here's a
handy link to it:
eBay: Redirect "

Google Answers: ebay phone number

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
[email protected] is link to report fraud it looks like.. do you have all the info handy or is it all here I could forward thread, rather not tho lol better you just send direct links MM

OP
OP
Irish1941

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
Haha! That awesome! I spent too much time trying to find eBay numbers! I will get on that email. I have my doubts it works but never know...
However with some new info I just figured out, BLM might actually be VERY interested in speaking with him. Seems BLM does enforce the APRA of '79.
I'll try them tomorrow out in Needles & Sac but I'm sure it'll have to wait until Monday am before I get an enforcement officer. MM, that is great work! Much appreciated!!

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah it's fraud imo if the guys is here in the states, regardless maybe you'll get him stopped before he takes a unsuspecting hopeful miners money, sounds like quite a ruthless scheme he's running.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many of us have been warning Greenhorns for MANY years not to "buy" a gold claim online - from Anybody. It is the best way to lose your money outright. I'm not going to put the link up, but we offer a claim inspection service in Arizona that gives you the following:

A map showing your claim, its boundary lines, GPS location, and Hiking or Driving directions/distance from the nearest paved road.

Copies of County or BLM filings and claim history.

Boundary map of the gold claim, showing areas sampled and the amounts of gold found in each area.

Bagged or vial specimens of gold recovered from each sample area. Yes, it is your gold - or the claim owner’s. We do not keep ANY gold recovered from your potential claim.

Our gold potential estimate for the claim, our expert recommendations on the purchase, and a fair-market value appraisal for the gold claim.

Ebay and online claims almost ALWAYS turn out to be exaggerated or just plain false. Many times we have found that the piece of desert being offered has not been actually claimed yet (the seller waits to sell it THEN files the paperwork with the BLM and County), is already under claim by someone else (seller files over an existing claim), or most often - there is no gold on the claim to begin with.

Bottom line? You have to go out and SAMPLE any claim you are thinking about buying, and check the paperwork at the BLM AND the County - That means you need to KNOW what you are doing. Greenhorns get taken everyday, in a thousand ways.

Would you buy a house without a home inspection, or an expensive used car without having a mechanic inspect it? Just sayin..

OP
OP
Irish1941

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
Sorry fellas had to rebuild front diff on the Blazer. Started making some noise after last trip out. Nothing but a few ball joints.
Anyway, I asked questions, guy never replied. Go figure. I checked the claim and it was legit. He does/did own it. Took it over in Nov of 2012.
Not sure on his angle but I'm guessing maybe his phony site makes the buyer "think" it's reg'd and all good then he takes it back when the time to re-new the claim is up or never transfers the claim in the first place with BLM, leaving buyer out in the cold a year later and just re-sells it. Never mentions BLM paperwork at all in the auctions.
And I totally agree that the greenhorns get taken everyday but that's not say a little knowledge from those who know might help them not be swindled. Just HATE seeing people get ripped off with money hard enough to come by these days.
My family has been prospecting in Mojave since 1897 and I have yet to lay my own claim and I'm no greenhorn.
Found a lot and more than positive passed over 10 time what I've ever found.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's ok he'll get caught eventually probably, pretty sure running a mirror site with fake info to sell claims is fraud somehow, and when people google Steven Cyros this thread might come up and save them from getting duped. Did you forward the info you had to Ebay?

OP
OP
Irish1941

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
Actually no I didn't bother and here's why.
That other site, the .org site is owned by ANOTHER claim seller.
Did a whois on the .org site and showed Gold Rush Expeditions as the owners.
Exact same people who ragged on him on their own site. They also conveniently leave out the part how they own the other site.
These two are in a pissing match with each other hence the fake web site.
Disregard these bullsh*t artists and continue on.
And for the new ones to the hobby, do keep on your toes and DO NOT buy a claim off the internet.

Promise next time I post, it WILL be something truly interesting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread