diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fixing to list an old Olympus OM-2 SLR Camera outfit with accessories. About the only thing I know about cameras are that Polaroid sx-70's sell well as do older German and Zeiss stuff. I would like to get at least $200 for the stuff, but it looks like I may be able to get another $100 or so out of it if I list it right. The bundle includes 3 lenses, a 28mm a 50mm and a Vivitar 70mm-210mm lens. This stuff is all in excellent shape. I see on ebay that the Vivitar lens sells for between $100-$200 by itself. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...vitar+70-210mm&_nkw=vivitar+70-210mm&_sacat=0 However, they all say compatible with Nikon. None mention Olympus. Is that because they only fit Nikons (the ones listed)? Or will they all attach to any SLR camers body regarless of the maker? In other words are they a universal fit? I'm wondering because if the Vivitar will fit other models besides the Olympus, then I want to list it by itself. If it will only fit the Olympus then I will list it with the bundle. Does any of this make sense? Here is the bundle with the 3 lenses-

DSC05484.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...URRENCY=0&_sop=3&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
basically all XX lens are the same, it is the mount that clicks into the the camera body. If that lens fits your olympus then it should only fit other olympus cameras of that era.

I am an old Minolta guy and I have been saving a (yardsale) telephoto lens to list on feeBay. Looking at it the mount is Minolta but this morning I ran across the lens and then pulled out my old 42 year old Minolta it does not fit. The tele lens has electric contacts to communicate with the camera.

I see you have two smaller lens the one that will say 50mm (or so) is your standard lens. If the other one is has 20mm or 30mm that is a fisheye lens.

When listing make sure you call it 50mm f1.2 or whatever it says on the front of the lens near the glass.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. I'm gonna list the whole lot together with the Vivitar 70mm-210mm lens too. It's easier that way anyway. I looked a little closer and basically read the same thing you told me. The other lenses are both OM- System F. Zuiko one marked 50mm auto-s 1:1.8 and the other 28mm auto-w 1:3.5, whatever all that means.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vivitar lenses are sort of a generic brand that are made with different mounts to be compatible with many different camera brands. That same Vivitar manual focus zoom lens was probably made with a half dozen different mounts, one for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc, etc. I'd imagine that if it came with the rest of that set up, it must be compatible with the OM-2 body. Like Dan said, make sure to list the f numbers, as that's important - the 50MM f1.8 is a pretty fast lens, the others (3.5) are average speed. Good luck with it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vivitar 70mm-210mm
Call this a telephoto zoom also needs the f number.

1:1.8 1:3.5
Never seen it put that way, but I am an old school photographer. I would write it f 1.8 and f 3.5
That means the lower the number the more light the lens lets in f1.8 is good for a standard lens.

good luck with the sale. I pass up so many vintage cameras at yardsales thinking there is not a market for them. Let us know how it turns out.

make sure all the lens focus and f stop rings turn smoothly and nothing is loose inside the lens.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call this a telephoto zoom also needs the f number.

Never seen it put that way, but I am an old school photographer. I would write it f 1.8 and f 3.5
That means the lower the number the more light the lens lets in f1.8 is good for a standard lens.

good luck with the sale. I pass up so many vintage cameras at yard sales thinking there is not a market for them. Let us know how it turns out.

make sure all the lens focus and f stop rings turn smoothly and nothing is loose inside the lens.
It says Macro focusing auto zoom and the number is also a 3.5. The whole set up is in almost mint condition. The only thing separating any of the whole set up from being mint is that on the camera's leather clad body, the glue has started to dried up (I guess) and a piece of the leather clad is starting to come loose on one side of it a little bit. Other than that there is not a sign of use on any of it, the lenses either, no scratches of any kind anywhere on anything. That was half the reason I bought it. I don't even remember what I paid. I've had it for a couple years or more at least. Couldn't have been too much.
Vivitar lenses are sort of a generic brand that are made with different mounts to be compatible with many different camera brands. That same Vivitar manual focus zoom lens was probably made with a half dozen different mounts, one for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc, etc. I'd imagine that if it came with the rest of that set up, it must be compatible with the OM-2 body. Like Dan said, make sure to list the f numbers, as that's important - the 50MM f1.8 is a pretty fast lens, the others (3.5) are average speed. Good luck with it.
Thanks for the added info. The lens fits on the camera. I did manage that much without difficulty.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not call myself a camera "expert" but I do know a little info and have some experience others might find useful. I will always buy Nikon/Nikkor lenses if the price is right and the condition is good. I most often find these lenses attached to old Nikon film cameras. I can usually get them very cheap because the seller's assume they have little value because everybody wants digital cameras these days. The great thing about the Nikon gear is the lens mount for the new digital cameras is the same as the old film cameras. The old lenses may not have the proper connections for the newer auto-focus functions but they still have value.

Regarding lens condition, look carefully at the glass on both ends of the lens. Scratches ruin the optics and the value of the lens. Hold the lens up to the light and look through it. It should be crystal clear. Sometimes you will see a faintly cloudy spot that looks like dust on the inside of the lens. That is mold and there is no way to get it out. This usually happens if the lens got wet at some point. I have also seen this mold on other optical devices such as binoculars and telescopes.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little crazy glue will fix that leather.
Do you think that's the best glue to use? Seems everytime I use that stuff lately the only thing it sticks to is my skin. Maybe contact cement would be better?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you just type that you were "fixing to sell"? Can you define that for us northerners? J/K & Just messing with ya I just thought it to be a tad bit funny! I'm in Indy & if you're caught talking like that you are called a Kentuckian & If you're in Kentucky & talk like that they call ya a Hoosier:dontknow:..lol. A free bump for your post none the less!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
contact cement will work if not too thick. let it dry good before putting the leather to the metal.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you just type that you were "fixing to sell"? Can you define that for us northerners? J/K & Just messing with ya I just thought it to be a tad bit funny! I'm in Indy & if you're caught talking like that you are called a Kentuckian & If you're in Kentucky & talk like that they call ya a Hoosier:dontknow:..lol. A free bump for your post none the less!
LOL, Yeah I guess I got a little Kentucky in me still, sort of rubbed off on me living there for 10 years or so way back when. A long as I didn't say I'm "fittin to sell", then I'll be alright.

As for the camera outfit. I think i'm just gonna list the lenses. I found what looks like green mold or something on the bottom when you look through the camera eyepiece in the bottom corner. It's not much but it's there. The lenses are pristine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread