pinpointer

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My local shop recommended the Garrett pro-pointer and I am glad. It has an increasing tone and vibration as you get closer to the target. On the downside is the cost. It is not waterproof due to the speaker holes but I sealed mine with some silicone. I also have a cheapo from Harbor Freight for use as a loaner or backup. It's on or off and does not indicate how close you are. I would not use one of those as my main pointer.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
The ONLY thing I don't like about the pro pointer is not being able to turn off the beeping. Otherwise it is 100% AWESOME!!!

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Jimbog said:
My local shop recommended the Garrett pro-pointer and I am glad. It has an increasing tone and vibration as you get closer to the target. On the downside is the cost. It is not waterproof due to the speaker holes but I sealed mine with some silicone. I also have a cheapo from Harbor Freight for use as a loaner or backup. It's on or off and does not indicate how close you are. I would not use one of those as my main pointer.

The pro pointer is water resistant and can be used in the rain or cleaned under running water

I just bought one for my self

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Put me on the Pro-pointer list!!

Got mine about a month ago, so far I am very happy with it!!

Good luck

HH

Dave

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SunRay FX-1. Excelllent.

I also have a F-Point (pretty good) and a Merlin SXL (better but not waterproof).

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Garrett Pro-Pointer! :icon_thumright:
At first I thought the $130 price tag was a joke. I was having trouble finding a coin with my $50 Technetics & my buddy tossed me his Pro-Pointer. I was sold right there. Spent the $130 the next day & havent looked back. 8)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I too have a sunray on board, but I almost NEVER use it anymore. The propointer is that good. And no I don't work for Garrett.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Mighty AP said:
Garrett Pro-Pointer! :icon_thumright:
At first I thought the $130 price tag was a joke. I was having trouble finding a coin with my $50 Technetics & my buddy tossed me his Pro-Pointer. I was sold right there. Spent the $130 the next day & havent looked back. 8)
I got mine on Ebay by being patient & watching the auctions for 85 bucks. Now I wonder why I waited so long to get one.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
mastereagle22 said:
The ONLY thing I don't like about the pro pointer is not being able to turn off the beeping. Otherwise it is 100% AWESOME!!!

Ohh..i have one where i can turn off the beeping.It's called a "finger"!! Why would you want a pointer that doesn't beep?? :icon_scratch:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I use a Cen-Tech pinpointer, about $20. The range of detection is slightly under 1" for dime & over 1" for quarter. It sounds off if tip or bottom 1" of sides of the probe is near the coin. I find it to be very helpful. It has worked fine for a year or two & still on 1st battery.

It is available from Harbor Freight or numerous e-Bay sellers & a few detecting stores. HH, George (MN)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Dano Sverige said:
mastereagle22 said:

Ohh..i have one where i can turn off the beeping.It's called a "finger"!! Why would you want a pointer that doesn't beep?? :icon_scratch:

Where I hunt there are lots of kids around. They hear the beeping and they come running. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have 10-15 kids hanging around while you are trying to swing and EVERYTHING you dig up they lost last week?

Besides the vibration mode is enough. When I used a Bullseye II by Whites I always had it set to vibrate only.

baldy804

May 6, 2010
i use a sunray xl-1 now wouldnt trade it for anything else used a bullseye for about 5 years and man didnt know what i was missing retreival time cut in half with the sunray and i dont forget it after digging an item attaches right to the md unit and no batteries to provide as it runs of the detector with a flip of the switch hope this helps. they make sunray models for alot of different machines hope this helps

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
mastereagle22 said:
Dano Sverige said:
mastereagle22 said:

Where I hunt there are lots of kids around. They hear the beeping and they come running. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have 10-15 kids hanging around while you are trying to swing and EVERYTHING you dig up they lost last week?

Besides the vibration mode is enough. When I used a Bullseye II by Whites I always had it set to vibrate only.

Tell the kids that you are detecting landmines and to not come into the area. When they ask what a landmine is, single one kid out and yell FREEZE, DONT MOVE! Tell him that if he takes one more step he'll be blown up. Then move on to another area. I bet the little annoyance will still be standing there are supper time. ;D :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Why would you pay $130 for a pinpointer when you can get the job dun for under $20??? The Harbor Freight pinpointer Can be set from an outside controll knob from app. 1" to 2 1/2 ". It has a built in spotlight that shows the target. It has a beeper that tells you when you are on target. It is easy to customize. I added a blue LED that lights only on target along with the beeper. If you don't like the beeper, add a switch to it and use the added LED to find the target. All this for 20 bucks. I hear a ripping noise when I think about paying $130 for a pinpointer. The $20 unit will locate a target as fast as the $130 unit, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
P.T. Barnum said it! There's one born every minute. Why would you pay $130 for a pinpointer when you can get the job dun for under $20??? The Harbor Freight pinpointer Can be set from an outside controll knob from app. 1" to 2 1/2 ". It has a built in spotlight that shows the target. It has a beeper that tells you when you are on target. It is easy to customize. I added a blue LED that lights only on target along with the beeper. If you don't like the beeper, add a switch to it and use the added LED to find the target. All this for 20 bucks. I hear a ripping noise when I think about paying $130 for a pinpointer. The $20 unit will locate a target as fast as the $130 unit, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

good post. You are not paying for a name at HF.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Frankn said:
P.T. Barnum said it! There's one born every minute. Why would you pay $130 for a pinpointer when you can get the job dun for under $20??? The Harbor Freight pinpointer Can be set from an outside controll knob from app. 1" to 2 1/2 ". It has a built in spotlight that shows the target. It has a beeper that tells you when you are on target. It is easy to customize. I added a blue LED that lights only on target along with the beeper. If you don't like the beeper, add a switch to it and use the added LED to find the target. All this for 20 bucks. I hear a ripping noise when I think about paying $130 for a pinpointer. The $20 unit will locate a target as fast as the $130 unit, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!
Why buy a top of the line metal detector when Walmart has them for 50 bucks......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A pinpointer is a very basic tool. Your detector,if it is a good one, has told you where the object is. You have dug your plug or flap and now you want to narrow it down to app. 1 " so you can just pick it up. That is a simple task for a simple tool.I don't care if you spend $130 or just $20 you will get the same results. So why blow the bucks? Now when your talking detectors, that is a different story! Your Walmart detector serves its purpose as a basic beginners tool. The advanced TH wants a more advanced tool. He wants computer controll over many operational situations. He usually does much more than a walk in the park! He may hunt nuggets which requires dept and sensitivy. He may be in an area of high mineralization so he wants ground rejection without killing the targets. He may be on the beach and wants to knock out the salt but not the targets. He wants controll over the situation no matter what! A high end detector can do this, but the Walmarts can't. Bucks are justified here!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions