pinpointer

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both, and use both. The HF model does the trick, in most cases. The garrett pro-pointer, makes it a pleasure to pinpoint the target, and find it fast. My time is better spent with the Garrett, it is faster, deeper and more accurate. When I pop coins with a screwdriver, the garrett puts me right on it, right away. Sure they both work, but the garrett works better....no doubt.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
OK back on target (lol)

I have the following:

1. Whites Bullseye II (3)
2. Vibraprobe
3. Sunray X1 on-board probe
4. Garrett Pro Pointer
5. HF unit
6. Another unit I bought and modified.

I of course have the Sunray with me EVERY hunt since it is attached but I almost never use it anymore. I LOVE the Garrett's and it goes with me EVERY hunt. Now I don't know if having all those pinpointers makes me a sucker or not but I do think it makes me qualified to tell you the Garrett's is by far the best tool for the job FOR ME!

Good luck.

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I LOVE the Garrett's and it goes with me EVERY hunt. Now I don't know if having all those pinpointers makes me a sucker or not but I do think it makes me qualified to tell you the Garrett's is by far the best tool for the job FOR ME!

Thank You!!!

The garrett rocks!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have always called them as I have seen them. Besides that it ups the posts and helps T-NET attract ad money. I have worked 32 years in electronics & mechanical engineering and I kind of enjoy improving something after I got it for a very good price. Some of us are innovative! By the way, you don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay the extra for a name! [This was part of an answer to a post that was removed.]

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
To give you a quick rundown on why I think the Garrett is so good.

1. Water-resistant.
2. Dust-resistant
3. Compact size
4. Ease of use, turn on and go. You can also detune the pinpointer for smaller targets next to big trash
5. Battery lasts a long time
6. EXCELLENT range and sensitivity
7. Tough and durable, the probe end is substantial and thick enough you would have a tough time breaking it.

In my humble opinion Garrett took what makes pinpointers good and incorporated all of that into a GREAT product. I cannot say enough how much I like my ProPointer!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK: lets get back to the pinpointer! I say Garrett is a good pinpointer! I also say Harbor Freight has a good pinpointer PLUS It has a real sensitivy controll mounted on the outside, it has a bright LED spotlight that points to the target, it shuts off automatically, enhansing battery life. The fact that makes a big difference is the Garrett cost OVER SIX TIMES AS MUCH AS THE Harbor Freight model!!!!!!

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the HF for the price, BUT, you get what you pay for. I bought 2, one for me and one for my son. Both are having trouble with the pushbutton switch cutting in and out, and I had to reattach a wire in one that broke off inside. It does have good detection on coins up to 2", and is light weight. If money isn't a problem, the Pro-pointer or Pistol probe can't be beat for performance and ruggedness.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I have both the HF and the Garrett Pro....my opinion for what it's worth.....Garrett is the better unit hands down. I have 2 of the HF specials and have had to replace one of them 2 times because of faulty electronics.....I am not a electrician, so I can't tell you what went wrong, but they just stopped working. The two that I have currently wont get more than about 3/4" to 1" depth on a dime, and the push button switch is going out on one of them. The reason I purchased the Garrett was because I was tired of spending more time trying to locate deep targets with my pinpointer, then I was with my MD. I agree that the HF is a good machine for the price, but the Garrett is superior in every department. Just my two cents.....

xasp61

Apr 27, 2010
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3, XLT, F75, MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i would have bought a ProPointer first. I have two HF and they work sometimes, they both have faulty switches, less than a year old.
i also have an older whites and a newer whites, both are ok. I introduced a friend to the hobby last weekend, while showing the basic operations of the detector i handed him the older whites Pinpointer, he was amazed. Half way through the day i let him try the ProPointer, he didn't want to give it back :notworthy: another one hooked.

Jon

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I still say the HF is the best buy for the price! You can buy 6 HF pinpointers for less than the cost of one Garrett pinpointer! Yes I see that some people have trouble with the on button. But you would have to have 6 bad units to loose out! My HF pinpointer has served me well with no problems and I saved over $100 in the process.

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
You cannot top this Cen-Tech Pinpointer! This thing is greatttt! :headbang: I actually got mine for free, because I called over to HF to see if they had any in stock, the employee told me that there was 3 left! I asked if they could hold me one, they said yes for like 24 hours, I said I'd be there in a hour! So $15.00 in gas and 2 hours round trip, I stopped in like I said in a hour! Get there, NO pinpointers, it seems people are stealing these like hotcakes, so this gives a false inventory on the stock they have! They repeatedly insisted on making this right, so Regional Manager called me and we had a little talk and they ended up sending me a pinpointer for free (well almost free)!! They handled the situation like true professional that care a lot about there customers, Harbor Freight is such a great company! I put electrical tape around the joints on the pinpointer, this helps keep water and dust out! I would highly recommend buying one or more!! :icon_sunny:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I saw the video on T-NET that compares the two. They both detect a dime at the same distance! Garrett/HF

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
At this point I would like to point out that BOTH of you are being childish. Please take your argument OFF this topic and into PMs. That is one of the uses of PMs anyway.

You are both getting dangerously close to violtating the rules of this forum.

Thanks

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for my behavior. I was wrong. See how easy that is? I will remove all offending posts that I've made.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I am in no way shape or form a mod here, I just have seen this stuff in the time I have been here and it doesn't take long for things to get out of hand and then people end up banned. NOT anything I would want to see happen to anyone here.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Just go buy a vibraprobe 580 and quit crying!!!,, built like a tank and waterproof.

best I have used !!!,,, unless you want to tie one on your detector,,,,what a joke!!!

art

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mts said:
I apologize for my behavior. I was wrong. See how easy that is? I will remove all offending posts that I've made.
Way to be the bigger man.... :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread