pinpointer

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hello. I just wanted to jump in here and thank everyone for posting their opinions. I am currently in the market for my first PP and I'm researching them as well as I can. The information in this thread is fantastic. Some of the best decisions are made after lots of research and watching people bang their fists on the table in support of their opinions.

Thanks!

I Will

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Gezzz! don't any of you use White's bull'seye pinpointer?
What you think about that one?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pro pointer instructions do warn against submerging the pointer over the speaker port. This is risky and can harm the unit.

mastereagle22, I put a 1" square of duct tape over the speaker area. Did 2 things. Reduced the sound so only I hear it and makes mine almost water tight.

You just got to love Duct tape.

Ed D.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
LuckyDragon said:

See post 22 above please.

I used to use the White's but after have 12 of them with bad push buttons, I gave up and went for quite a while with the vibraprobe. The biggest disadvantage to that pin pointer was that if it was ever in your trunk and got tipped to far you would have noise in the rear of your car and not sure where it was coming from. My wife once pulled over and called me to say the car was making funny noises. I got to where she had pulled over and opened the trunk to find the vibraprobe had slid out of it's holster and the tip was straight in the air. LOL

As for the whites, there is one place that will put a flip switch instead of the push button on the side. The only other thing I found slightly annoying with the whites was the tuning knob, I was accidentally hitting it with gloves on and messing up tuning.

It really is what you feel best using. I know that I will not be giving up my Garrett unit for a LONG time.

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Geee I hope your not kncking white's metal detectors
If I get a Garrett propointer I don't know if well go with my white's XLT. :dontknow:
any other pinpointer that might be than garrett ?

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh, I liked the thread where the guy said his pinpointer could read to 6".
Now that was a hoot.

If I had the money I like the Garrett that increases flashing/volume the closer you get.
Just like in the movies.
Alas I can only use my HF unit.
Works fine for me.
Grey

xasp61

Apr 27, 2010
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3, XLT, F75, MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckyDragon said:
Geee I hope your not kncking white's metal detectors
If I get a Garrett propointer I don't know if well go with my white's XLT. :dontknow:
any other pinpointer that might be than garrett ?
My V3 and the Garrett ProPointer are getting along just fine. :hello2: I'm a white's detector user, but i don't care for their PinPointers . I have an older white's and a newer one, the older one is far better.

Jon

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I would NEVER slam anyone's detector brand. That is not my style.

I like the White's machines. I just happen to use and Explorer.

I do think Whites needs to redesign their pin pointer switches though. They are extremely problematic!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LuckyDragon said:
I use a whites bullseye two. i must have hit it or something cause it really reaches out alot further than it use to. I am surprised sometimes how good it works. But I have only had one pinpointer and can offer a bias towards others...GH

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little to chew on. Switches are rated for number of uses, contact style, sealing, ect. The one used by Whites is the cheapest switch I have seen in my 25 years in electronics. Both the BullsEye I & II. If Whites would put 2 to 3 more dollars in the switch it would probably be very good and last 10 times longer. I have repaired both the BE I and II with other switches because the switch was never available. I am currently using a Garretts Propointer because of the switch, sounds, and overall water resistance. I still have a working BE I, BE II, and Centech but only lend them out or use them if needed as a backup.

Ed D. :thumbsup: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I actually have 2 pinpointers, The HF & the Whites bullseye I. The HF is about 1 year old with original battery & no problems. I have added a bright blue LED just forward of the pushbutton that lights when the beeper sounds. Very easy mod because of design. The whites bullseye I is about 5 years old, also no problems. I have also added a bright blue LED to this pinpointer. Easy mod, the board had pads on it to connect to. I agree with the switch evaluation in an earlier post. It is a low cost switch. Radio Shack carries them, but it is a wipeing action switch and only carries 9V so it should hold up during normal usage. They both pick up a dime at about 3/4". This is the same distance as the Garrets pro in the air tests video in the electronics section here on T-net. I like them both, but price wise HF gets the nod. It's hard to beat $16.99

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hello again. I just wanted to mention I bought a Garrett Pro Pointer today, and tested it for a while after work. I had about an hour with it and I think it's very good. It has great balance in the hand, it's well made, and the response is extremely good. It made finding coins much, much easier. I won't be leaving home without it. :icon_thumleft:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IWillFindTheGold said:
Hello again. I just wanted to mention I bought a Garrett Pro Pointer today, and tested it for a while after work. I had about an hour with it and I think it's very good. It has great balance in the hand, it's well made, and the response is extremely good. It made finding coins much, much easier. I won't be leaving home without it. :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on the new pinpointer. You won't be disappointed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread