Pinpointers? Pros- cons? Critical? Not so much?

mlamp20412

Apr 26, 2008
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the automax first, worked okay but was flimsy, and large, ended up breaking in half. Have a vibraprobe, like it alot, waterproof. But can't turn it off at will and it is pretty large. I like the propointer convenient size, on off function and 360 degree detection along its length. You can lay it on its side and it is like using a mini dd coil with 1 inch or so depth capability.

mlamp20412

Apr 26, 2008
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And i definitely would rather hunt with a pinpointer than without. Quicker recovery. I have gone trail running with just a pinpointer and stopped at a couple of ideal spots in a stream and found musket balls with vibraprobe.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I have a sunray pinpointer wired in to my etrac. I think it is the neatest thing since sliced bread. I know that SunRay doesnt make pointers for all machines and brands but if they do for the one you use it is worth the money in my opinion. It sits right on the shaft of the detector and sounds off just like your detector when it is activated and is near a target.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why do some people get so happy because their pin pointer goes off within 3 or 4 inches of the coin . Does that not defeat the purpose of a pin pointer . I don't want to know I'm that far from my target . I have a metal detector to tell my that there is a coin down there somewhere . I prefer a pin pointer that lets me know when I am close to the target that I can't see .Am I really the only one with this perception of a pin pointer ? Have a great day everybody ...

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do some people get so happy because their pin pointer goes off within 3 or 4 inches of the coin . Does that not defeat the purpose of a pin pointer . I don't want to know I'm that far from my target . I have a metal detector to tell my that there is a coin down there somewhere . I prefer a pin pointer that lets me know when I am close to the target that I can't see . I'm I really the only one with this perception of a pin pointer ? Have a great day everybody ...

Totally agree !

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do some people get so happy because their pin pointer goes off within 3 or 4 inches of the coin . Does that not defeat the purpose of a pin pointer . I don't want to know I'm that far from my target . I have a metal detector to tell my that there is a coin down there somewhere . I prefer a pin pointer that lets me know when I am close to the target that I can't see . I'm I really the only one with this perception of a pin pointer ? Have a great day everybody ...

The Propointer starts to signal a few inches away, but it is a slower intermittant signal than when it is on top of the target. It increases in speed and volume until it is on the target. Watch a video of the Propointer in action and you will see how it works.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Propointer starts to signal a few inches away, but it is a slower intermittant signal than when it is on top of the target. It increases in speed and volume until it is on the target. Watch a video of the Propointer in action and you will see how it works.
Makes sense . Thanks..

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's some personal background info. Like many on here, I started the hobby in the 1970's. I never used a pin pointer until recently. I'd center the target with the detector and if I didn't find it immediately I'd stand up and center it again. I'm a little older now and my knees sound like Rice Krispies as I get down to dig and stand back up. My lower back doesn't always appreciate the up and down thing either. A while back I bought a used detector that had a Sunray probe attached. I developed a technique where I never put the detector itself down. I'd center using the coil, kneel, dig, and if I didn't see the target immediately I'd flip the switch and use the Sunray probe. The sounds from the probe came through my headphones just like those from the big coil. In reality I was switching from the full size coil to one that was 1" in diameter. The probe told me where the target was regardless of whether I'd flipped it out of the hole or shoved it aside while providing an audible tone and screen data. One hand for the detector and the other hand to dig and pinpoint. I knelt down once and stood up once per target. It was great. Then I traded detectors. Since the Sunray was specific to the detector I traded off I included it in the deal. In return I got a great detector and a pinpointer that only sounds off when it is almost in contact with the target. Now I'm back to centering with the detector, kneeling down and digging, trying to pinpoint via handheld pinpointer, standing back up to center again, kneeling and digging, etc. I have already priced a Sunray for my current detector. My wife is delighted with her Garrett ProPointer as a backup to her Ace 250. The Garrett unit costs about $125. I can get a Sunray for my detector for less than $200. To me, it's worth the extra money.

You didn't say what make and model of detector you use. If Sunray makes a pinpointer for it that's what I'd suggest you buy. If not, I'll have to join all the others who recommended the Garrett.

Storm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread