Pinpointing with the Infinium

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
I am considering the Infinium LS as my next detector, I do see lot's of positive remarks about it's abilities. However I was wondering if it's lack of pinpointing ability or depth of target readout is of any consequence to those of you who have owned other detectors with these features first. (like me)
Thanks,
Rubicon

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like any detector it has to be learned and pinpointing is one of them features that has to be practiced with different areas of the coil. Some are better at pinpointing off the tip or heel instead of the center and X'ing the target. For nugget hunting now you mainly pick up some dirt and move it over the coil to see if it is in your hand. Practice makes perfect......

Good Luck,
Sandman

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had no problems pinpointing with my Infinium. After getting a signal, I swing in very small sweeps a few inches from side to side and slowly back off the target until the signal stops. The target usually always just off the toe of the coil.

As far as target readout, I have found more gold with the Infinium than with any detector I have ever used. Been hunting since about 1988 and have used my share. This is not my first water machine. I only go after possible gold type targets which is the Door Bell sound or High Low/Ding Dong sound on the Infinium. I dig Silver signal when bored due to lack of targets. That is the beauty of the Infinium to me. With my Sovereign, (which I like alot also), gold can be a very large range of signals some very near coin range if it is a large piece of gold. You can get lazy with it and start ingoring those higher range and very low range audio targets. With the infinium, large gold, small gold, all gold, platinum, and palladium, no matter the Karat, gets the doorbell sound. No guessing. Dig all High/Low signals and it will produce the gold. I am very pleased with the performance. I ignore the silver signals giving me increased time to look only for the gold. Thus more gold finds.

It is no magic bullet though. You will still dig the aluminum trash, pull tabs, etc. Just like all the others.

Good luck,

DaChief

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Actually, it pinpoints dead center with the 8" mono coil, and just off the toe of the DD coils, so I don't know who told you it was difficult to pinpoint with. 80% of my scoops have the target in it first time round, unless it is much deeper or has another target nearby which can throw off the pinpointing. But in all honesty, it is very simple.

As far as depth reading.....once you learn the tones, you can guesstimate the deep targets from the shallow targets from the large targets. Remember that the discrimination factors of the Infinium are not influences by depth. it's a totally different machine to learn. If you give it the time it deserves to learn it, and have previous metal detecting experience, you will learn how to read it properly and answer those same questions you asked..

Attachments

• th_in.jpg
    th_in.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 193
  • th_in.jpg
    th_in.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 197

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread