Pirate Chest: When to give up

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe they did not have any at the start of the war. I really don't know the details. The book said the gold was to be shipped to England for armament. It does not really matter that much to me as far as exactly what happened. There is either gold and silver where I think it is or it is not.
Will you cite the name of the book from whence this information came?

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have told this story before on another thread, but just to humor you I will repeat some of it. In 1990 I was working with an old time dowser/remote sensor and he had located what he thought was a large pile of gold on Alligator Alley. He did it thru map dowsing. I know there are lots of vocal people on Treasurenet that don't believe in this ability but I couldn't care less what their opinion is. I had met two guys that had invented their own LRL (long range locator) and I had watched them use it to what I felt was enough to believe in its ability. I know there are lots of vocal people on Treasurenet that don't believe in this ability but I couldn't care less what their opinion is. The two guys had watched me put the dowser to some tests, which he passed and now wanted to accompany the dowser and I on a couple of trips, one of which involved driving a total of about 2000 miles.

On one of the trips we went to Alligator Alley. On the way the old man was telling some of his stories and the two guys were sitting in the back of my van. They had brought along some of their books. When we were not far from the Alley they found a story in one of the books about a shipment of gold that was lost in the Everglades. It was supposed to be a shipment to England to buy armament. The south had to pay up front. The story said that if you drew a line at a certain degree from two different buildings at two towns on the east coast of Florida (I don't remember the towns names) I think it was Ft Pierce and Miami, where the lines crossed was where the gold was supposed to be. They drew this out on a map they had with them and it just so happened that the lines crossed at the exact place the old man led us to, which we found out when we got there was called Cloud Mountain. There is more to this story but to make a short answer long, I don't have a clue what the name of the book was.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Wouldn't it be great to find this book and see if it be truth or myth? Oh well, I'm sure there
exists numerous books out there telling of huge caches of gold left behind or forgotten about
until later when the hiders suddenly remember and say "Hey I forgot about that half ton of
gold we buried and had to leave behind because of emergency.

I had read hundreds of legends very similar. I think treasure authors have figured out what
sells books and articles is to make the cache so incredible that readers will start salivating
with greed. Not many of us haven't fallen under the spell of sudden wealth including me in
my younger years. But what redeems us is the knowledge we acquire as a byproduct.

Most of the sub forums on TNet are subjects I have participated in or explored in the last 50
years and consider worthwhile. I'm glad to see BDD back in action.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wouldn't it be great to find this book and see if it be truth or myth? treasure authors have figured out what
sells books and articles is to make the cache so incredible that readers will start salivatingwith greed.

What do you mean by truth or myth? That there really is gold, or that maybe I am making all of this up? Salivating with greed? Not me. I do slobber a little bit but that is because my face is partially paralyzed.

The story in the book said that they had gotten as far as they could on dry land with the gold and could go no further. They chose to bury it. Cloud Mountain has particular traits that would have made it a natural stopping place. This thread is really not about the gold that may be buried near Alligator Alley.

The wife was too tired from work to mess with the sizzle posting. It will probably be on here tomorrow. I was also thinking of posting the demo tape that I was asked to send to a couple of production companies. I am sure that vor, ECS, BCH, and lastleg will get a real kick out of it. They will probably make fun of me but that is okay because I like to make fun of myself.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean by truth or myth? ...

The story in the book said that they had gotten as far as they could on dry land with the gold and could go no further. They chose to bury it. Cloud Mountain has particular traits that would have made it a natural stopping place...
The Confederate purchases of arms and munitions in England were based on the CSA export of cotton, and loans from banks in England, with the money never leaving England, but paid directly to British suppliers from the banks.
"Never before was a government at war supplied with arms, munitions, clothing, and medicines, with so little money as was paid by the Confederacy"- CSA Major Caleb Huse, CSA Agent in Europe
kuhnhtm
It was not a common practice for the Confederate government to ship their treasuries gold reserves out of country, and for Confederate gold to be shipped across the Everglades is very questionable.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The story said that if you drew a line at a certain degree from two different buildings at two towns on the east coast of Florida (I don't remember the towns names) I think it was Ft Pierce and Miami, where the lines crossed was where the gold was supposed to be.
I also read a treasure book story about where the lines cross. But in my version, the lines cross at Horseshoe Head also on the reservation.. I believe it was L P Harvey that first described the location as 2 lines that cross in 1949 I think. It was the only way he could describe it to the news because Alligator Alley wasnt built yet and it wasnt even a reservation yet. There were no landmarks.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The wife was too tired from work to mess with the sizzle posting. It will probably be on here tomorrow. I was also thinking of posting the demo tape that I was asked to send to a couple of production companies. I am sure that vor, ECS, BCH, and lastleg will get a real kick out of it. They will probably make fun of me but that is okay because I like to make fun of myself.

Im not going to make fun of anybody. Thats not nice.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The Confederate purchases of arms and munitions in England were based on the CSA export of cotton, and loans from banks in England, with the money never leaving England, but paid directly to British suppliers from the banks.
"Never before was a government at war supplied with arms, munitions, clothing, and medicines, with so little money as was paid by the Confederacy"- CSA Major Caleb Huse, CSA Agent in Europe
kuhnhtm
It was not a common practice for the Confederate government to ship their treasuries gold reserves out of country, and for Confederate gold to be shipped across the Everglades is very questionable.
I like research and I like trying to figure things out this way. I appreciate your help on my Swamp Gold thread. But BDD doesnt care. He has his beliefs and they are not based on research and you will never change his mind with research. Just sayin.

At least we know that the Confederates paid for cattle in gold. Spanish gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When we got to the site in the Everglades that day back in 1990 we talked with some locals that were in the area. They were the ones that said the location was called Cloud Mountain. In folklore I think ECS found that a "cloud mountain" is what a cloud on the horizon looks like. Also the legend is that gold lies under the cloud mountain similar to the saying of gold at the end of a rainbow. Do you think it is just a coincidence that we found out the name for the spot the old man led us to and said there is a large of amount of gold buried was called Cloud Mountain?

We were also told that there was an old Indian that held ceremonies there. Do you think it is a coincidence that the exact spot where he held the ceremonies was the same exact spot the old man said the gold was buried. I told Duane Billie about all this and he seemed to think it may have been his great grandfather. Did you know that gold and silver give off an aura that can be captured on film if you use the right filters? I think the old Indian may have been able to see the aura or it is even possible that this gold may have been buried by members of the tribe. The bottom line is that I don't confess to know how the gold got there or who put it there, just that I think it is there. The old man that led me there was not relying on any story, he just had the ability to remote sense where gold is buried.

ECS- You said it was not a common practice for the confederates to ship their gold out of the country but that does not mean they couldn't have tried to do it.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like research and I like trying to figure things out this way. I appreciate your help on my Swamp Gold thread. But BDD doesnt care. He has his beliefs and they are not based on research and you will never change his mind with research. Just sayin.

At least we know that the Confederates paid for cattle in gold. Spanish gold.

The only thing I don't care about is what you guys think of my beliefs. I do WAAAYYY more research than you think. Research is great but how many times have you guys stuck a shovel in the ground based just on your research?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The only thing I don't care about is what you guys think of my beliefs. I do WAAAYYY more research than you think. Research is great but how many times have you guys stuck a shovel in the ground based just on your research?

My apologies. I know you research LRLs but I didnt know your beliefs were based on conventional historical research. I thought I was helping the situation by explaining to ECS.

I bring my shovel to the beach and I use it every beep. :thumbsup: Sure I used to research areas and go dig them up but now pretty much everything is protected in South Florida so I dont dig anymore outside of the beach or my friends backyard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I know you research LRLs but I didnt know your beliefs were based on conventional historical research.

My beliefs are based on all my experiences but definitely not by just what I read or am told to believe.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
BDD is right, we claim to research our digs but in reality it is purely accidental to dig in just the
spot and pull up our silver and gold. For example I read everything I can about old Bedford in
Virginia and finally get there with my trusty Treasure Scooper and don't recognize anything from
my research. There's a Handy Dandy convenience store just where I wanted to dig so I wind up
digging around every tree in the town to satisfy my treasure greed. An old man with a foot long
beard sees me, hobbles up and says "Sonny, are you looking for treasure?" Sheepishly I admit
that greed and avarice have caused me to drive 2000 miles to find the Lost Treasure of Bedford.
Then he winks and replies "Yes Sonny, I seen em all coming into Bedford full of hope and greed
trying to steal my gold and all of em wound up digging around every tree in town. It's a wonder
we have any trees left with them scraping the roots and all. Matter of fact yore the ninety fourth
greedy son of a beech that's been here, hee hee hee.

I loaded up my pickup with my detector, shovels, hatchets, crowbars, pinpointers, magnifiers,
knee pads, gloves and mosquito repellant and hit the road never looking back. Back to the
"research".

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We drove all the way to Bedford County Virginia in 1991 to try to dig up the Beale Treasure. We hired a local backhoe operator. We dug and found nothing. We were told we just another on a long list of people that had hired the same guy to dig because they "knew" where the treasure was buried. About a 2600 mile round trip. At least we can say we tried and I have pictures and video to prove it.

Document.jpg Being the eternal optimist I think we just dug a little bit off from where the"treasure" is.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For your viewing pleasure and amusement here is the Treasure Tim sizzle.

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
When we were not far from the Alley they found a story in one of the books about a shipment of gold that was lost in the Everglades. The story said that if you drew a line at a certain degree from two different buildings at two towns on the east coast of Florida (I don't remember the towns names) I think it was Ft Pierce and Miami, where the lines crossed was where the gold was supposed to be.

Just trying to follow, how in the 1860's did Confederates in the Everglades pick a spot to bury gold that they were able to triangulate from two buildings in two different towns? I could see them triangulating from something in that immediate area, but I'm lost at how they could mark a spot located at specific tangents from buildings from many miles away.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Just trying to follow, how in the 1860's did Confederates in the Everglades pick a spot to bury gold that they were able to triangulate from two buildings in two different towns? I could see them triangulating from something in that immediate area, but I'm lost at how they could mark a spot located at specific tangents from buildings from many miles away.
That's another reason to question this story-in the 1860's there were not many building on the southeast coast of Florida, and Fort Dallas (Miami), was still a village.
What also makes the tale suspect, the Confederates had no possible reason to venture into the Everglades, because the Union forces rarely conducted raids in the deep interior of Florida.
... the main concern of the Confederate "Cow Cavalry" at CSA Fort Meade was to bring in Spanish and Cuban gold specie from the sale of cracker cattle to Cuba, by way of the blockade runners out of Punta Rassa.
...and any transaction or transport of Confederate gold would have been recorded by CSA Capt James McKay, the CSA Commissary Agent for South Florida, and the guard detail would have been drawn from the "Cow Cavalry".

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

The Confederates didnt triangulate the spot. A game warden named LT Harvey did in the 1940s from the air.. After researching a story of lost Confederate gold in a historical society in Davie, he and his partners flew a Piper Cub over the Everglades until they noticed an island with non-native trees growing on it. It took him days to reach the remote location by swamp buggy and airboat. What he found was an abandoned settlement scattered with human skulls and confederate artifacts. This is where the triangulation came from because there were no landmarks. With the help of TN member Bramblefind, I found the complete story (with triangulation) in a 1949 newspaper. LP Harvey never found the gold. My memory of dates is not so good but its all here in this long thread. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/11712-swamp-gold-115.html

Unfortunately its a very long read with too much bickering. But thats were the triangulation story came from that BDD's cohorts read in 1990 in an unknown treasure book while riding in the back of his van. I believe BDD's possible treasure site is not the same gold and not the same legend. After my research, rumors spread and you can read a modern version of LP Harveys Confederate camp here. Possible Al Capone Site in the Everglades. Its been called the Lost City, Ghost Village, Seminole Indian village and/or one of Al Capones moonshine operations but according to the old newspapers, LP Harvey believed it was the last camp of the retreating Confederates and he believed that the well documented gold shipment is buried nearby. ECS verified parts of this gold story from researching Civil War diaries. But it doesnt match with BDDs version and BDD doesnt really want me mentioning anything about my Swamp Gold thread on his thread to prevent confusion with his treasure.. But the triangulation story is very similar to what L.P. Harvey told the news back in 1949..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread