Pirate Chest: When to give up

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
But I think Cloud Mountain is further north. Wouldnt that be considered Alligator Alley Reservation? Or is it south? I dont really know because I never bothered to ask but I always thought it was north of the Alley.. The Lost City is south of the Alley.
In an article on "THE LOST CITY", Ron Bergeron, Florida Fish & Wildlife Comm, mentions a Confederate gold story in the lost city- in this one the Seminole killed the rebel soldiers.
Toronto Star Replica Edition
Then there is the legend of the lost pirate ship in the Everglades:
http://exploresouthernhistory.com/evergladesship.html

Last edited:

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upload to youtube and post a link.
We are looking forward to watching.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Upload to youtube and post a link.
We are looking forward to watching.

I don't know how to upload it to youtube. I am not much of a computer guy. Tell me exactly what to do please.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BigDogDad-
Would you be so kind to outline your research methods that you have put into place throughout the years?
I start to research, and within the subject I'm researching I find another subject or person to research and before long it's a snowball effect with a bunch of unfinished research and analysis paralysis and I haven't put boots on the ground to prove/disprove one thing. Frustrating![emoji37]
I can read by your posts that you have many things working, how do you choose which one to go with? What are your methods of research? And quite simply, where do you start?
-Tina

I am hardly an expert of researching. ECS is the resident expert. I talk to a lot of people and I always mention treasure when I can. Lots of old timers know stories. It all depends on what kind of cache you are after and how old it may be. I have been involved with a number of remote sensor people (a lot of people don't believe in this ability) and they may give me a possible location. I then find out all I can about the given area and many times there is a history that supports the possibility of hidden treasure. I believe I may know the location of many things but so far I have been unsuccessful in retrieving anything of great value. I am hoping that will change very soon. I have been sidetracked from treasure but am now getting back into it.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Duane was a police officer and while I knew him he became chief of police for the reservation. When we went into the swamp he had a pistol, a large knife, a high powered rifle, a badge, a smart phone and the keys to get on any property he wanted to.
I liked every Miccosukee policeman that I met. All nice guys. They used to park outside my camper all night. Duane used to stop by to visit.... for whatever reason doesnt matter to me. I liked him. He was an avid hunter. We talked about Coyotes, Pythons and Skunk Apes. The internet report said he had 30 guns in his car at the accident scene. He told me of a buried treasure before he died. I havent told anybody nor do I have any plans of searching for it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In an article on "THE LOST CITY", Ron Bergeron, Florida Fish & Wildlife Comm, mentions a Confederate gold story in the lost city- in this one the Seminole killed the rebel soldiers.
Toronto Star Replica Edition
BCH, did you notice the similarity between what Bergeron mentions to that of the account of L P Harvey?
The last Confederate camp, gold, all were killed, etc- or is this oft repeated lore that has morphed into the 1/2 ton Confederate gold stories that appeared in the treasure books and magazines?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH, did you notice the similarity between what Bergeron mentions to that of the account of L P Harvey?
The last Confederate camp, gold, all were killed, etc- or is this oft repeated lore that has morphed into the 1/2 ton Confederate gold stories that appeared in the treasure books and magazines?
Its been a long time since I researched any of this. Yes I think the accounts of LPHarvey and Bergerons story of the Lost City are the same
.. I never asked, but Duane did mention that the Lost City site is protected. He didnt reveal much but he told me about some old Poinciana Trees on Horseshoe Head that have been there a long time. I don't know if it morphed into a 1/2 ton. I thought it was 60 pounds. I think there is probably more than one legend. Your links aren't working. http://exploresouthernhistory.com/evergladeship.html What month and year was the story in the Toronto Star?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Its been a long time since I researched any of this. Yes I think the accounts of LPHarvey and Bergerons story of the Lost City are the same
.. I never asked, but Duane did mention that the Lost City site is protected. He didnt reveal much but he told me about some old Poinciana Trees on Horseshoe Head that have been there a long time. I don't know if it morphed into a 1/2 ton. I thought it was 60 pounds. I think there is probably more than one legend. Your links aren't working. Ghost Ship of the Everglades - Everglades National Park, Florida What month and year was the story in the Toronto Star?
I fixed the ghostship link
The Toronto Star article appeared March 2015.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My wife is going to help me load the video onto youtube tonight. As far as the Swamp Gold treasure goes, here is the short version of the story as I see it. A gold shipment was to be sent to England out of Florida. For whatever reason they chose to ship it across the Everglades as a shortcut. The military trail went by a place where there were water channels/paths across the sea of grass. There was some sort of outpost at this spot (the remains are in the picture I posted) and the gold was buried as was the way the army rules were. When shipping gold it was buried at night or when it was held for a period. They did not leave it laying around. A 1/2 ton of gold is less than a 1 foot by 1 foot square, not nearly as big as most people think.

Cloud Mountain was the name given by locals to this location. While using electronics to try to pinpoint the gold, a cache of silver may have been located. Before I could arrange for any serious digging, my Miccosukee contact died.

ECS-BCH- You don't have to believe any of this but I do not want this thread to morph into the Swamp Gold Legend thread.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I fixed the ghostship link
The Toronto Star article appeared March 2015.
OK i got the ghostship link but I cant or dont know how to scroll back to previous issues in the Toronto Star site. Can you post the title of the article and maybe I can find it on an advanced search. So far no luck.

Have you seen this? Tampa family finds pirate treasure in grandpa's attic

hand gaspar.JPG

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My wife is going to help me load the video onto youtube tonight. As far as the Swamp Gold treasure goes, here is the short version of the story as I see it. A gold shipment was to be sent to England out of Florida. For whatever reason they chose to ship it across the Everglades as a shortcut. The military trail went by a place where there were water channels/paths across the sea of grass. There was some sort of outpost at this spot (the remains are in the picture I posted) and the gold was buried as was the way the army rules were. When shipping gold it was buried at night or when it was held for a period. They did not leave it laying around. A 1/2 ton of gold is less than a 1 foot by 1 foot square, not nearly as big as most people think.

Cloud Mountain was the name given by locals to this location. While using electronics to try to pinpoint the gold, a cache of silver may have been located. Before I could arrange for any serious digging, my Miccosukee contact died.

ECS-BCH- You don't have to believe any of this but I do not want this thread to morph into the Swamp Gold Legend thread.

I think you mean "as far as the Cloud Mountain treasure goes,"

OK gotcha there is no reason to discuss the Swamp Gold (cattle gold) legend here on your thread. :thumbsup: I also believe they are completely different legends. And Confederate Gold (Jefferson Davis) is also a different legend. Sometimes they get all mixed up together.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That is true if it were in a solid block, but no so, if in bars or specie, or a combination of both.

No matter what form the gold is in a 1 cubic foot square of solid gold weighs over 1200 pounds, more than 1/2 of a ton. Bars packed tightly would be the same thing. Coins packed tightly would be about the same. Your missing the point, 1/2 ton of gold as a payment for cannons, as the south did not make their own, is not any stretch of the imagination.

BCH-You are right, your !0 year old, 1718 posts Swamp Gold thread is not the same exact story of Everglades gold as mine. My story led to a possible dig site. Yours kind of goes in circles leading really nowhere. Do not take this wrong as you have a very interesting and informative thread.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH-You are right, your !0 year old, 1718 posts Swamp Gold thread is not the same exact story of Everglades gold as mine. My story led to a possible dig site. Yours kind of goes in circles leading really nowhere. Do not take this wrong as you have a very interesting and informative thread.

My old thread was created to share research. It was never intended to tell someone where to dig. I learned a lot as compared to my childhood days in the library. It was a cattle payment just as I suspected. Cattle to feed the Confederacy. And Im not counting posts. I am in no contest nor am I trying to promote anything. Actually too many posts leads to confusion. Someday (when I have nothing to do) I may try and edit it down to something more reasonable and repost it... :thumbsup: But I have more important things to do.

Nowhere in my legend does it mention England, cannons or a 1/2 ton. So yes your buried gold legend is a completely different one. And Jefferson Davis to Cuba is another.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Your missing the point, 1/2 ton of gold as a payment for cannons, as the south did not make their own, is not any stretch of the imagination...
The South did manufacture cannons-Virginia:Tredegar Works Foundry,Bellona Foundry/Georgia:Atlanta Machine Works,Augusta Foundry and Machine Works,Columbus Iron Works/ South Carolina: Cameron & Co,- there were many more.
The cannons used by CSA Major Footman of the "Cow Calvary", February 20,1865, when they attacked Union Fort Meyers were made in Florida at Pearson's Machine Shop in Orange Springs in north Marion county.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Maybe they did not have any at the start of the war. I really don't know the details. The book said the gold was to be shipped to England for armament. It does not really matter that much to me as far as exactly what happened. There is either gold and silver where I think it is or it is not.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Welcome back BDD. I will clear my pm box vor. Keep up the good research ECS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions