OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
100_3095.JPG I am thinking about maybe doing some more posting about treasure. I needed a break from posting on here. My wife and I have now retired from dog showing after 30+ years. Our mastiff Jasper finished number one in the country. Here is a pic from our last show at the Eukanuba Classic in Orlando this past December.

The Englewood pirate treasure site is still available for me to detect and dig. I would like to get my hands on a Jeohunter detector. Does anybody in Florida have one? Please PM me.

I have about a dozen possible digs lined up. It is time to get real serious.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello BCH and BDD. Good to see you posting again.
V

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you digging holes again also.

No comment on the Jeohunter as I don't want to post anything negative. However....I have a hard time believing that the best technology comes out of a third world country, but you never know. If you find one, maybe you let us know how it performed.

Can you share a little about the Gamble dig?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta detectors are top of the line. I did a field test on beach for Nokta Fors CoRe and was highly impressed with it on the beach very stable. ... KELLYCO is also there stateside repair center now so owners don't have to send it to Turkey if something needs repaired inside controls...

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there you have it. :sunny:

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I deleted a post above this as I posted a pic of an on-going dig. Probably not a good idea. I had also asked opinions on the Jeohunter detector. The story I was told about this detector is that there were two brothers. One spent his time, money and energy on marketing the Nokta detector and the other spent his time, money and energy on developing the Jeohunter. The brands will now be combined and marketed as Nokta. This is what I think happened.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deleted a post above this as I posted a pic of an on-going dig. Probably not a good idea. I had also asked opinions on the Jeohunter detector. The story I was told about this detector is that there were two brothers. One spent his time, money and energy on marketing the Nokta detector and the other spent his time, money and energy on developing the Jeohunter. The brands will now be combined and marketed as Nokta. This is what I think happened.
Nokta owned by one brother and Marko owned by another brother merged companies. They are still producing detectors under both names. Example Nokta Fors CoRe and Marko Racer..

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I talked to the Kellyco representative at the treasure barbecue. He said that when all the Geohunters on the market were sold everything would become Nokta. Kellyco is a Nokta distributor. This could be wrong info. All I know is I would like to get my hands on the best detector for finding deep caches and showing you what is located in the ground. The Kellyco guy had on a shirt that said NAG (New Age Goonies). Great movie. A little far-fetched but very entertaining.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good to see you digging holes again also.

No comment on the Jeohunter as I don't want to post anything negative. However....I have a hard time believing that the best technology comes out of a third world country, but you never know. If you find one, maybe you let us know how it performed.

Can you share a little about the Gamble dig?

The Jeohunter is made in Turkey. Turkey is not considered a "third world country". Even if it were the detectors are made by individuals so what difference does it make where they come from? I have asked you in the past what is the best detector for finding and identifying deep caches and I don't think you responded. What country produces the best detector technology? US? Japan? China? Germany? Turkey???

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Vor and BDD. I used to think the Pulse Induction with a large coil was one of the best detectors for finding deep caches especially in a large ferrous container but I have been out of the circuit for so long that I dont really know and I should just sit back and listen and read. I used to dig some huge holes on the beach for round ferrous signals like a manhole cover or garbage can. I hate those old large galvanized bucket or garbage can ring signals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A while back a remote sensor individual gave ma a location where there is supposed to be buried gold at a depth of 9 feet. I brought another individual to the area and had him use his one-of-a-kind LRL (long range locator). He was immediately drawn to the same exact spot. He had a Fisher two box detector that he ran over the spot. It gave a reading for buried metal. I brought another individual to the area and he used his own one-of-a-kind LRL which took him to the same exact spot. He had his own method for determining depth and he said it was at 9 feet which was the same exact depth that the remote sensor guy said it was.

I got a written contract with the property owner and set up a dig. I rented a small backhoe and a mud hog pump. I bought some wood to shore up the sides of the hole as we would be trying to dig to 9 feet and the water table was around 3-4 feet.We dug out the hole and built the box as the sides started to cave in from the start. There was a septic tank nearby (of course) and we had to be careful not to do any damage. The backhoe was not big enough and we could not keep up by hand digging as the quicksand like mess kept coming in under our box.

I used a probe in the exact spot where the object was supposed to be and I was hitting something. The probe would not go as deep in one exact spot and there seemed to be something there. We were deep into the muck and could not get any deeper. I asked the property owner if we could re-group and continue the next day as it was getting late in the afternoon and we had a mess on our hands. He said that he did not want the hole left open. I asked him if I could cover if up with wood but I think he thought it had become too dangerous. We filled the hole in and that was the end of it.

I found out there was an interesting history to the area and vowed to come back some day. I talked to the homeowner recently and he would let me dig again if I had more electronic verification that something was there. The Fisher two-box had said there was metal there and we detected all the dirt that came out of the hole and found nothing metallic. The guy that owned the two-box lived out of state and I did not have it available for the dig. I may have access to a Pulse Induction unit with a large coil. This is one of the many spots on my treasure wish list.

100_3138.JPG This is in the middle of this guys yard. We filled it in and smoothed it off and you cannot tell that anyone ever dug a hole there.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont think a PI can go near that deep. I never used a 2 box but I heard of them. I know the problem you are having with water. 9 feet is pretty deep for Florida. And I know the problems with having to fill in the hole at the end of the day just to dig it all out again. Dont they use those sand points in road construction? They sell them at Home Depot. Do they help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You are talking about a well point system. What is done is that you jet down a bunch of PVC pipes in a circle outside of where you are going to dig. You sink them deeper than you are going to dig. You hook them up to a diaphragm pump and run them prior to digging. All the groundwater is sucked out. We should have done this on this dig and others in the past. I was going to but we thought the backhoe could get down to the target. Wrong. They usually can never dig as deep as what some people think they can. If you want to dig a 9 foot hole you better get a backhoe that can dig 12 feet or more.

3870new.jpg 3873new.jpg Old cable found at about 5 feet at the Englewood pirate camp site.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Jeohunter is made in Turkey....What country produces the best detector technology? US? Japan? China? Germany? Turkey???

Given this is multiple choice, I will guess the US. But just from looking at the graphics of the Jeo, I am able to form my opinion. Just as TH has formed his and you, yours.

I don't profess to know what is the best detection system for deep targets but I thought that you were on the right track when you had an up to date GPR unit and some top rated conventional detection units.

But since the conversation has turned to LRLs, I'll withold further comments. We've been down this road already.

BTW, I did catch the photo of the ongoing dig. Couldn't see much for all the camo. 8-)

V

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Given this is multiple choice, I will guess the US. But just from looking at the graphics of the Jeo, I am able to form my opinion. Just as TH has formed his and you, yours.

I don't profess to know what is the best detection system for deep targets but I thought that you were on the right track when you had an up to date GPR unit and some top rated conventional detection units.

But since the conversation has turned to LRLs, I'll withold further comments. We've been down this road already.

BTW, I did catch the photo of the ongoing dig. Couldn't see much for all the camo. 8-)

V

Wow! You must be pretty good to be able to tell how well a detector works by just looking at the graphics. Me, I think a little differently. I talk one-on-one with the people that sell them. I read reviews about them on TN from actual users of any given detector. I search the internet to find out any and all information that I can. I contact people that actually own and have operated one. I do my best to borrow one or go to see someone in person that owns one and has learned to operate it. Then I form an opinion of how well I think it works. Your method is so much easier. Just look at a picture of a graphic and then voila, your opinion is formed and set in stone.

The Gamble dig is not an open hole. We dug one time and realized we need a better detector.

As far as your opinion of LRL's go, did you form your opinion from looking at graphics or do you have any real world experience down that road? My guess is no.

I see you and ECS still have your "like" affair going on. How do I get ECS to "like" me. 1460 posts and not a single one from him. It makes me so sad. I so much want to be "liked".

GPR and top rated conventional detectors have a lot of limitations. We have used them but need something better.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You must be pretty good to be able to tell how well a detector works by just looking at the graphics.

I did not say that I could tell how well it works, just that I can form an opinion of the technology.

As far as your opinion of LRL's go......do you have any real world experience down that road? My guess is no.

Your guess is right. Logic, common sense and the laws of physics tell me to not even go there.

GPR and top rated conventional detectors have a lot of limitations. We have used them but need something better.

Sometimes you just have to live within the limitations if there is nothing better available.

I hope this doesn't morph into another LRL thread.

Would rather hear about your digs.

V

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have witched water lines, cat5, cat6, copper telcom cables, coax cables, electrical cables and fiber optic cables just using 2 bent wires at depths well over 6 feet and did so for 14 years while working for telco company....

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too late; it's morphed. :(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too late; it's morphed. :(

I am the 3rd person to mention anything about LRL only after you and BDD....[emoji1]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread