Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today's hunt was at the same field as before. I went hunting with a NCJim today. I didn't step 5 feet from the truck when I got a good signal and dug a button!!!

Anyway, 5 hours later I had 13 buttons (3 in bad shape), a furniture tack, my 4th spear point from this field and an old native pottery shard. Plus a bunch of odds and ends (glass, pottery shards, lead, copper etc).

The decorated button was sitting in plain view in an area we had hit over the two previous occasions. The rains from last weekend must have removed any dirt that was on it. The large coat button is 1 3/8s in diameter!!!!!

I stopped by to see CWDigger afterwards and he could not believe how many buttons I had found. All told I have found 22 buttons in that field. I think we are up around 40 to 50 in total, most of which have been an area of half a football field.

A good day for sure!!!!

Attachments

• DSC03960 small.JPG
    DSC03960 small.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Decorative Button.JPG
    Decorative Button.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know that makes sense. I had permission to dig the Laughinghouse tract and the grimesland tract. I recovered a script BS button just off the back porch of the Grimes home. The Laughinghouse site produced a lot too, need to go back and see if any of the folks I took in there dug a button like that.

HH

Dan

Contact FoundInNC. He has a Script BS Button too. He advised that it was from the "Bingham School" from the 1860's.

The Grimes Plantation is in new hands. It is gated with keypad access. The new owner has apparently redone the house, barns, kitchens and slave residences back to how they were in the 1860's. Even CWDigger can't get on there any more.

I know it is a Bingham School, 1840s-1860's variety, rather than the post war three piece. Dug a few of them over the years at camps. The new owner of Grimes is still associated through the caretaker that I have permission through. Could still dig it tomorrow, but it honestly is not worth it. I was not aware that Matt ever had permission to dig there, very few folks had permission, he might have obtained it after I moved a few years back. I showed him quite a few areas in his area that some fine relics came from.

Thanks Kevin,

Have tried old homesteads in Michigan?

James

I hit the old homesteads quite often, I am a killer on pocket watch parts but not so good at buttons.
Keep up the good work James. I have a new site to hunt this week, it just might be the right place.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

I hit the old homesteads quite often, I am a killer on pocket watch parts but not so good at buttons.
Keep up the good work James. I have a new site to hunt this week, it just might be the right place.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Looking forward to seeing what you find. When I go, I ask for either one bullet or one button....

Papa Bear you know your stuff and you are taking advantage of a great opportunity. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Papa Bear you know your stuff and you are taking advantage of a great opportunity. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Thanks HZ. I am only as good as those around me. I do a lot of research and I am lucky that my coils has swung over so many finds. I am hoping to head back up to Pitt County again this next weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back