Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today's hunt was at the same field as before. I went hunting with a NCJim today. I didn't step 5 feet from the truck when I got a good signal and dug a button!!!

Anyway, 5 hours later I had 13 buttons (3 in bad shape), a furniture tack, my 4th spear point from this field and an old native pottery shard. Plus a bunch of odds and ends (glass, pottery shards, lead, copper etc).

The decorated button was sitting in plain view in an area we had hit over the two previous occasions. The rains from last weekend must have removed any dirt that was on it. The large coat button is 1 3/8s in diameter!!!!!

I stopped by to see CWDigger afterwards and he could not believe how many buttons I had found. All told I have found 22 buttons in that field. I think we are up around 40 to 50 in total, most of which have been an area of half a football field.

A good day for sure!!!!

Attachments

• DSC03960 small.JPG
    DSC03960 small.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Decorative Button.JPG
    Decorative Button.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your hunt crushed mine in north topsail.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SneadsFerryMD said:
your hunt crushed mine in north topsail.

I am just lucky to swing my coil over the spot where a button is. The T2 makes short work of an area when swung low and slow.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Papa Bear! Wonder that no coins pop up between the buttons. The rule on the fields over here is usually, when you get buttons the coins are not far away. Any info bout the age of the spearhead? Looks crude made, are these ones older or comes that from the material they are made of?

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice score Papa Bear! Wonder that no coins pop up between the buttons. The rule on the fields over here is usually, when you get buttons the coins are not far away. Any info bout the age of the spearhead? Looks crude made, are these ones older or comes that from the material they are made of?

We have wondered that too. Only one coin has been found and it was nowhere near where we have found the buttons. On theory is that either the area was a workshop or an area where clothes were dumped. The field contains old redbrick and colonial glass so we know that there was a structure there at some point prior to the 1850's. As for the spearhead. I have found three Archaic Period (3000-6000 BC) spearheads in the field. I think this was a started but not finished one. On this trip I found my first pieces of flint. Th soil is very sandy with little or no natural stone or rock in it so I am thinking that the stones were transported there.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Dumping clothes with the buttons sounds odd to me as buttons were someway expensive in these days. If you have bricks, glass, buttons and maybe pottery the coins are there! I wish you luck! With the stone artefacts it's the same here. Very little natural stone here so most of the flint used was "imported" from the Maas River in belgium, about 80 mls from here. Hard to imagine.... The last of my finds were from rock wich was also brought from 25 mls away. Looking forward to your next finds!

csachipper

Apr 9, 2009
Kenansville NC
Detector(s) used
T2 / Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are right. Congrats on your finds Papa Bear, check out W.D.D. Quite a few of the spear points that I have, are made from non-native rock. We have the rock in Eastern NC but can't dig deep enough to get to it. I have found blocks of flint in the past while hunting, that were about 12 inches by 12 inches and 4 inches thick. I have heard that these were traded from the western and central tribes in exchange for coastal shells, which they in turn made jewelry out of them. Fact or not, you have some good finds.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Papa Bear on a job well done.
Buttons just do not seem to be a common find find for me in Michigan.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Papa Bear. Your octagonal button with the design is actually an 18th century cufflink. I have found them before with the loop attached.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Papa Bear. Your octagonal button with the design is actually an 18th century cufflink. I have found them before with the loop attached.

Depending on the size, you are most likely right. However, if larger, they can be buttons as well.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find...Pitt County NC treated me very well over the years, great place to dig. Just curious, the NCJim, is that Jim Nelson?

Nice tudor Rose Cufflink...early style too. Also am catching up on posts, the TS button you dug could be a school button, but not a military academy button. It is likely late 1800's, could also be a type of RR button.

Dan

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find...Pitt County NC treated me very well over the years, great place to dig. Just curious, the NCJim, is that Jim Nelson?

Nice tudor Rose Cufflink...early style too. Also am catching up on posts, the TS button you dug could be a school button, but not a military academy button. It is likely late 1800's, could also be a type of RR button.

Dan

I solved the button. Here is the link

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/295055-interesting-button-possible-id-made.html

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations Papa Bear on a job well done.
Buttons just do not seem to be a common find find for me in Michigan.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Have tried old homesteads in Michigan?

James

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys are right. Congrats on your finds Papa Bear, check out W.D.D. Quite a few of the spear points that I have, are made from non-native rock. We have the rock in Eastern NC but can't dig deep enough to get to it. I have found blocks of flint in the past while hunting, that were about 12 inches by 12 inches and 4 inches thick. I have heard that these were traded from the western and central tribes in exchange for coastal shells, which they in turn made jewelry out of them. Fact or not, you have some good finds.

Thanks Chip. I am still heading to Utah. LOL.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! Dumping clothes with the buttons sounds odd to me as buttons were someway expensive in these days. If you have bricks, glass, buttons and maybe pottery the coins are there! I wish you luck! With the stone artefacts it's the same here. Very little natural stone here so most of the flint used was "imported" from the Maas River in belgium, about 80 mls from here. Hard to imagine.... The last of my finds were from rock wich was also brought from 25 mls away. Looking forward to your next finds!

Thanks! Hopefully this next weekend i will find myself knee deep in relics!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread