Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
M

mtnman

DFX the best machine i have had in 25 years of detecting.....jesse

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
;D EXPLORER 2 beats both of them the gti 2500 is now 6yrs old outdated technology no competition

;Dneilo

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have heard that the explorer goes really deep. the only thing that sways my decision away from them are the things i have heard about the steep learning curve and that they can be difficult to pinpoint with.i really dont want to spend a year and a half learning how to dig clad with a new machine and pinpointing accurately is really important to me. what do you explorer owners think about those two issues,are they overblown or are they valid?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Hollow,

not up on how good the explorer is, (have been told they are darn good machines), but I can tell you they have to be really good to improve on the pinpointing of the Garrett 1350, 1500, or 2500.

As for the learning curve, I've got the 1500 GTI and your off and running with the factory settings for coin, jewelery, or relics. Learning the ins and out of the Garrett is fun, something I was worried about when I first got it 3 weeks ago. With a bit of fine tuning I'm sure it will meet my needs.

The graphic imaging is just outstanding. Dang machine tells you it's a coin size target, and tells you it's a dime, and tells you it's at 5 inches, put it in your pocket

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

g45_70

Mar 25, 2005
Kalispell, Montana
I've never used the DFX or the 2500, I use the GTi 1500 which is fine at pin pointing. Being a step down from the 2500, I figure the 2500 should be able to pin point as well or better. Being nearly the same machine. Also you have the ability to go 2 box if the need arises, with the 2500. Also your not stuck with computer programing your detector, of course I have no idea how troublesom that may or may not be in the field. Just my 2 cents worth!

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The main issue with me is both these machines only come with concentric coils which at depth miss too many targets because the signal sent out from these coils narrrows down to a point.This is why the EXPLORERS using DOUBLE D coils which the signals dont narrow down are finding so many deep missed targets.PLUS ?DOUBLE D coils handle mineralisation and interference much better as well. In TECH TALK theres an article about MONO or CONCENTRIC coils verses DOUBLE D coils its something else to think about before choosing which detector to buy.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?;D ? ? ? ?seeya Neilo

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thanks for the info neilo i had not even considered that! does the double d coil come stock on the explorerII?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well Shucks everyone is pulling for their favorite. If I was going to take a look at the latest VLF technology which is newer than the Explorer 11 , DFX or GTI 2500 level of technology. It would be this.

http://www.upstatedetectors.com/cointrax-millennium2.htm

Any VLF that can detect a penny at 14 inches has my attention.
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/24906.html

By the way you use DD coils as a last resort in heavily mineralized ground. They do not have the sensitivity nor depth of mono coils.

Happy Hunting

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, baloney! Every manufacturer will tell you their machine works best and can justify it with any number of reasons, ditto all the various detector users on this or any other forum. If I hear that, "This machine is better because it goes deeper'' again I think I'll barf! Decide what you need a detector to do and the type of hunting you are most likely to do and buy it! If you just want to coin shoot at the local park and occasionally hunt a dry beach you don't need a machine that will detect straight pins at 3 feet! There's no need to spend a thousand bucks when you can get all the machine you need for a couple hundred bucks. I own a GTI 2500 and I don't think it's any worse or less useful to me than a DFX, the Explorer, the Sooper Dooper Whizbang or any other detector. I wouldmgladly take any one of the other brands of detector and be just as fat, dumb and happy with it. Whew! Glad to get that off my chest! KS

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
EXPORERS are fitted with double d coils as standard, Garret have introduced them for the infinium and some other models . go down by the water and you will soon see the difference these coils make, concentric coils can go deeper but not very often only in ideal dry sandy unmineralised ground but only covering a tiny area at depth
good luck in your choice seeya neilo ;D

OP
OP
kermit

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. For the most part I'm hearing the GTI is easy to use but the DFX is more adjustable. I think I will have to do a little more research on the Explorer II. I saw a picture of a explorerII that looked like it had a pinpointer built in to the shaft. Is that what that was. I think I'm going to have to go to a dealer and put one of each in hand. How it feels means a lot to me also. I'll have to check in to all that big word coil stuff. I had know ideal it would be this hard.

Thanks and keep the info coming...........

Kermit

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I bought my 2500 3yrs ago and got a DD coil too.Between the three most talked about here,my biggest concern would be the weight factor!

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
neilo is correct. The DFX is sold only with the 950 concentric coil. Which is a decent coil. But for an extra coil, which most people have at least one, You have a choice of the 1400 DD eliptical coil, a 6x10 DD eliptical coil, a 4x6 DD eliptical coil, a 5.3 (6") concentric coil and a host of after market coils not made by Whites. The EXcellerator coils which are DD in a round shape, not eliptical, to name one brand that is very popular.
Decisions, decisions, decisions. ???

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently own the GTI 2500 as well as a CZ20 (have had both for the past 5+ yrs). I just SOLD my DFX, and I also had the MXT before that, which I also sold! Whites detectors are off my list permanently from now on. They are just playing off the brand name and millions of dollars in advertising and I won't pay for that ever again. Ever notice how White's is the only one running commercials on TV advertising detectors?? I also feel that the DFX especially, is just too difficult to use on a regular basis, and will/does take the avg. detectorist far too long to learn how to fully understand/use (years)... Screw that, I want to hunt NOW, and I don't want to screw around trying to adjust a machine for optimal use on a constant basis (plus have to have a degree in programming to do it)...

Good luck,

hh

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread