Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having use both and a few others I have to go with the Garrett GTI 2500. The DTX is a good machine for playing with controls trying different settings, but swing time and ease of use accounts for the stuff.

If I had my choice I would choose the Minelab Explorer II as I continue to find tons of stuff where DFX's have been. Sorry guys, an I own a DFX too.

Sandman

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Man I'm glad I was a newbie a month ago and only had to choose the Ace 250!

All this talk about depth, Double D (hmmm, I thought that was only for bras?? ::) ) coils, custom programs, DFX vs EX II vs Minelab vs GTI vs GottaDigDeeper vs TellYaWhatYaGotBeforeYouGoOut, etc has got my head spinning! LOLOL

But I'm following with interest cuz one of these days, like a ton of other folks here on TNet, I'm gonna be ready to upgrade. Folks, ya'll are all giving some great advice, opinions and stating personal preferences, based on actual, in-the-field-digging-in-the-dirt experience. That can't be found in any commercials on tv or hype in magazines! I kind of hope this discussion carries on for a good while longer.

HH, ya'll!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Dfx is a really good machine for those who learn it before it gets tossed to the side. I know what I'm sticking with. The finds speak louder than words in my book.

HH Jer

S

stshawaii

DFX is a good machine ! But exensive! but are you going to really utilize all of it power? i don't know much about the GTI2500 you should look in to the DFX with three programs Coin&jewelry, relic & prospecting that should cover most Mding! puls you can save a few hundred to buy extra stuff like the 6X10 DD search coil !

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a lot of loot to spend. I would not get in a hurry .Look at all brands and talk to lots of users. You might come out cheaper and finding more stuff.

M

mrmark55

I love my DFX. In the brand portion of the forum under White's you will see where they have really great customer service also. It has a learning curve but it well worth learning.
(Just my opinion)
Mr Mark

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Not a hard choice to make........The 2500 is ready when you are..turn on and go ...what it says is what you get . If it is in the ground you will find it . Garrett is the leader in research...I think !!!!!

F

freemoney

I would say DFX >> BUT << now I would go with GTI2500 because a GTI2500 + Treasure Hound Depth Multiplier with EagleEye? Pinpointing would be better if you want to find that dime 15 feet deep and no dfx can do that!!!

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
freemoney said:
I would say DFX >> BUT << now I would go with GTI2500 because a GTI2500 + Treasure Hound Depth Multiplier with EagleEye? Pinpointing would be better if you want to find that dime 15 feet deep and no dfx can do that!!!

Maybe its just me, but I'm not going to dig 15 feet for a dime ;D

Willy

I'd say that the GTI 2500 would be a good bet. When it comes to depth claims by all the competing manufacturors, Willy says "Smoke 'n mirrors man, smoke 'n mirrors." I've had many detectors, quite a few being touted as THE DEEPEST, & have found out otherwise. What it comes down to is what TRULY different tech is being used, which is then generally patented, and not what has only been rehashed & refined. The GTI's have a unique & PATENTED tech with the imaging & using the dual recieve coils. Granted, it's now a few years old, but it's something no other company has and, barring permission from Garrett, nor can they (legally, that is). The same holds true (I think) with Whites signagraraph, Minelab's BBs/FBS & smartfind screen, and who knows what else. I'm not saying that the technology is perfect in every case, but it helps. With the GTI's, there are limitations, but it works & offers a unique bit of ID re. targets that others can't duplicate. It's an actual hardware difference, not a software interpretation (which many seem to be able to do in the 'ol grey matter anyway) What it comes down to, in the end, is how much time you're spending digging targets vs. fiddling around with the detector. That's where I think that the GTI has the edge. Just turn it on & start hunting.. it's almost a no brainer. The really special feature ( imaging) is sooo simple & easy to interpret ya gotta sit in the corner with a cone on yer haed if you can't figure it out. That adds up to speedy hunting on top of decent performance (depth 'n stuff). ..Willy. BTW, I don't own a GTI (I did though), so it's not brand bias speaking.

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Well I'm thinking about getting a new detector as well, I currently have a Garrett GTP 1350. Which has some GTI tech in it. The Garretts I believe is of the easiest detectors to get used to. It perfect for 1st timers ;)

Its been a month of detecting for me ( noob here too ) and my wrist is aching! From my observation its from the pinpoint button, I dont know why its stressing out my hand :-\

So if do get a new detector, I'm leaning towards Whites since they have the trigger thingy which is more easier/less stress on my wrist.

Willy

A little trick to use on the GTI's/GTP/GTAX's or any membrane style button, is to get a clear, self adhesive, vinyl bumper (little half-dome bits used to protect surfaces) and stick it on the button. Since it's clear you can still see what's printed underneath & pressing the button is soooo much easier. It also makes it easier to find by feel since it's now raised by 1/2 cm. ...Willy.

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
ME AND MY WIFE BOTH HUNT WITH A WHITES MINE IS AN XLT..OLDER...WIFES IS A DFX.....BUT THE CATCH HERE IS WE ONLY LIVE AN HR FOR WHITES MAIN MANAFACTURING PLANT IN SWEETHOME ORE....THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE.....BUT THE LEARNING CURVES ARE STEEP ON BOTH MACHINES.....NOT TO SAY THEY ARE GREAT TO TURN ON AND GO...BUT THE DO HAVE WAY TOMUCH PROGRAMING AND THE BELLS AND WHISTLES...BUT THEN AGAIN THE DO WHAT THE ARE SUPPOSED TO DO AND THAT IS RECOVER ITEMS...AND THEY GO DEEP....JUST MY TWO CENTS
LGP

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Willy said:
A little trick to use on the GTI's/GTP/GTAX's or any membrane style button, is to get a clear, self adhesive, vinyl bumper (little half-dome bits used to protect surfaces) and stick it on the button. Since it's clear you can still see what's printed underneath & pressing the button is soooo much easier. It also makes it easier to find by feel since it's now raised by 1/2 cm. ...Willy.

Hey thats a good idea, I get the picture! Is there a specific name for it or a brand?

mgripy

Greenie
Mar 20, 2005
Olympia WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I never really understood the point of having a detector that told you how big a target was like the GTI2500 does. I can easily tell how big a target is with my DFX by using the pinpoint feature. And as far as target ID, the Tone ID on the DFX is all I need to decide if I want to dig or not. And if I have any questions on whether or not a target is something that is worth digging the Signagraph on the DFX is in my opinion about the best ID tool there is on the market right now."

Uh 2 years thats why you don't get it, reason for imaging, if you ever dug a half/dollar its hard to discern between that an a aluminum pop can on a regular machine with no imaging. That is truly the best thing about it for me, but imaging has other advantages as well. And the more you use it the more you understand it.

I own 2500 GTI & A CZ7-3d fisher. I use my GTI for initial passes, and then go back over with the fisher cz7 3d for the deeper targets. And since the garret offers no imaging coil smaller, I use the fisher for trashy areas. 21 years detecting now. Good luck. OBTW: I used to have a XLT from whites nice machine with similar qualities to the dfx, and didnt even compare to the depth of the fisher. Nothing does really. I ordered top of the line minelab about 6 months ago the one every one raves about, and it goes deep, but fisher still goes deeper. + way to sensitive to the point of being useless in my hunting grounds. I sent it back after 2 weeks of using it. I used my friends DFX and really to me was just like XLT, with more programming options, which can be benefitial to some but not to others.

mgripy

Greenie
Mar 20, 2005
Olympia WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Look on E-Bay and watch how many 2500's are for sale compared to the DFX. Good Luck"

Thats about the dumbest thing I heard in a long time sorry but compare how long the DFX has been on market compared to GTI2500 pretty simple explantion.

I just love going over the DFX users areas with my fisher cz73d and picking up all the misted items.

Not a basher but it really all depends on who is operating the dfx. For that matter any detector. Lots of marketing hype for newbies, consider the unrealistic commercials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread