Planning New FB Gold Trap....

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Eye GG ! You are correct, that grizzly is not mounted in the above pic, is just laying on the skid. I was anxious and started posting pic's before I finished :) That grizzley piece is also about 2x longer than it will end up. I was leaving it long & using my L square to see the level, and where I should mount the brackets to get the discharge port. For some reason, I like to mount the grizzly as my last step, then consider it finished ? No idea why, but should get it done tonight, we'll see if it works tomorrow. (Think I got it all sealed up last night) **Quick side note, thanks for the PM about the fluid tubes, I actually have about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches from the outer tubes to the walls of the gold trap, and a lilttle less than 2 inches between center tube and outer ones....think I was a little too OCD about "centering" the tube's. Still, figure I won't learn if I don't experiment. I'll see how this works, and already have a plan re-space those tube's.....

Noticed one other thing about your punch plate grizzly. Do you notice that when looking down it lengthways that the holes are lined up in rows with paths between them all the way to the end?
As opposed to looking across the punch plate side to side you will notice that the holes are staggered with no straight pathways between them.

I always like to run the punch plate the direction that the holes are staggered.
The reason why is to prevent fine gold from riding the paths all the way down the plate and off the end.

Do you see what I mean?

GG~

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALewis, there are all sorts of Rubber Made tubs as well as black cement tubs at home depot/harbor freight for easy cleanouts without destroying a bucket or breaking ones back. Your work/effort on this project is fun to listen in on as well as to read all the other helpful hints/tips/suggestions from so many others. Looking forward to seeing your final product, keep thinking!...................63bkpkr

OP
OP
ALewis

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the sluice in the water this Sat. Was a great day on the NF American....Iowa Hill Bridge, as always.

CAM00175.jpg CAM00172.jpg

Water is Up High ! I used to dig just above the orange bucket, and right about where sluice is set-up. Was getting better color in that area...not so much above it....at least so far.
It ran Very well for the conditions, I never did get good steady flow, even w/ dam though. Needed to get it farther out into current.
It did run all day, trap never filled up, or seemed to loose it's "fluidity?".....only cleaned out 1 time at end of day.

CAM00181.jpg

Worked from shovel to the left, just kept opening up the hole.

CAM00189.jpg CAM00190.jpg

CAM00202.jpg CAM00206.jpg

And, The Result's !
Nothing too crazy, never as much as I hope for. But, did seem to get some very tiny flakes. Usually I want the big stuff, but as this was the first time out, seems promising to see some little / tiny pieces...Figure if I'm catching those, I should be catching most everything ?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job! Why not keep digging right above the bucket if e gold is good there. Then you could shovel directly onto the sluice which will bump up your production quite a bit vs filling and carrying buckets!

OP
OP
ALewis

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are so right Kevin....I really need a pair of hip waders, I have rubber boots, but it gets deep right there... and is burr cold.

OP
OP
ALewis

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noticed one other thing about your punch plate grizzly. Do you notice that when looking down it lengthways that the holes are lined up in rows with paths between them all the way to the end?
As opposed to looking across the punch plate side to side you will notice that the holes are staggered with no straight pathways between them.

I always like to run the punch plate the direction that the holes are staggered.
The reason why is to prevent fine gold from riding the paths all the way down the plate and off the end.

Do you see what I mean?

GG~

Good eye, as always GG.....

I actually just found that punch plate a little while ago and bought some remnants....Did not have a big enough piece to run as you suggest, although that does make sense.

I'm sure I'll be back there in the next week or two, I will have to check out a few more pieces...Thought the current one is a little "long", but liked the way it was running. Hopeing to get back there next weekend and try it out again

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AL I like these look of those flakes. Between the final tune up of the sluice , the water levels and the area it looks like you are ready to start reaping heaping piles of shine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread