Platinum Treasure!!! One Troy Once!!! Unique!!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final Edit 1/30/2015 : The test results are in: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/448872-platinum-fork-test-results.html

I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted to this website. It's certainly the biggest piece of platinum I've ever found! I'm still shaking from the rush!! :headbang:

DSC08636.JPG DSC08638.JPG

Here's the story. Over the past week I've been pounding that old site by the shore again and again but this time using the new ExCal-II. It was a bit of a learning curve as I'd only used my new ExCal-II once before this. What a difference. The sandy/salty soil was no problem for the ExCal-II and the deep signals were coming in loud and clear. Ended up finding a ton more artifacts (silver, copper, iron, more globs of lead) - all much deeper finds than my other detector was able to handle. No more 18th century pepper pots unfortunately (I was hoping for a trifecta). I did however find, among other things, a sterling silver mechanical pencil (Victorian-age from the looks of it), an 80% silver olive fork, three hand-carved sterling spoons, a pewter dish, some broken pieces of porcelain, glass, and even what looks like to be a piece of an old shoe. I will post all these finds and more later in one massive post once I'm sure I've unearthed everything.

Anyway, this post is about the crowning jewel of the finds so far - the Platinum fork. I dug it up shortly after finding the sterling mechanical pencil. When I first saw the platinum fork it was all black just like all the silver in that area. I rubbed the dirt off (I know, I'm still kicking myself for doing such a stupid thing) and it revealed a golden luster - I assumed it to be a gold plated fork of either silver or some other cheaper metal. Into the bag it went and the hunt continued. At the end of each day I would clean and photograph my finds. I noticed the "950" hallmark during this time a few days ago.

The "950" is stamped in an "upside-down shield". I first saw this mark when I examined the fork the day I found it. I assumed it to be a sterling mark for 95% silver. I checked online a few times but really I had pretty much concluded it just had to be a type of silver. Today I did some in depth research and discovered that there is absolutely no sterling mark that resembles this hallmark. I did further research of other precious metal hallmarks besides silver and was stunned - the mark was listed as one of 4 types of platinum hallmarks. According to my research this platinum hallmark represents the second highest purity of platinum - 95%!! There is a crown above the "950", a little symbol that looks like an "R" directly above the "950", and a little "M" to the right of the "950". On the right side of the fork it says "Made in France" and on the left side it says "Cartier". There is also what appears to be some kind of etched serial number, possibly "1040". The piece weights 30.9 grams - almost exactly one troy ounce making it worth just about $1,200 in melt value.

The unknown: How old is this piece? I've had trouble dating this piece as hallmark charts by Cartier don't appear online in detail.

One thing is for certain Cartier is not known for cranking out platinum cutlery. I have a feeling this may have been a custom made piece. If so it may be unimaginably rare and expensive. My feeling is that it is worth way over its melt value of $1.2K - perhaps its worth $5k+ who knows? I will have to get it professionally appraised. Until then the hunt continues!!! :D Arg! Now with all this new swag I feel like a true pirate! :skullflag: :blackbeard: :laughing7:

Edit: Okay, it's officially confirmed. What I initially thought was an "R" stamp is in fact a "PT" stamp, "PT" means Platinum! "PT 950 M" is a high-strength Platinum alloy. The M stands for the 5% other metal added with the Platinum most likely Ruthenium! I'm on cloud 9 right now! :D

Platinum stamp along with hallmark chart:
Fork Hallmark.jpg appendix2_1.jpg

Cartier markings along the sides:
DSC08643.JPG DSC08646.JPG

Fork on my scale, note 30.9 gram weight:
DSC08647.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 53

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure $ Trekkies

Mar 28, 2010
Miami Fla
Detector(s) used
whites, 2011 cion master, Whites MXT 300
Okay, so I was on the verge of deleting this whole post, but some members here inspired me to push on despite the whole storm going on in the comments. And I'm happy I'm doing this. This is the most epic treasure I've ever found in my entire life and it would be a shame to let a few people ruin it for all of us. The controversy has not undermined my resolve (lol, no pun of my name intended) no - it has inspired me, it has made me realize what a real treasure truly is - a real treasure is one that is so amazing that people don't believe its existence is even possible. I have now one of these such treasures.

I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted to this website. It's certainly the biggest piece of platinum I've ever found! I'm still shaking from the rush!! :headbang:

View attachment 1110936 View attachment 1110937

Here's the story. Over the past week I've been pounding that old site by the shore again and again but this time using the new ExCal-II. It was a bit of a learning curve as I'd only used my new ExCal-II once before this. What a difference. The sandy/salty soil was no problem for the ExCal-II and the deep signals were coming in loud and clear. Ended up finding a ton more artifacts (silver, copper, iron, more globs of lead) - all much deeper finds than my other detector was able to handle. No more 18th century pepper pots unfortunately (I was hoping for a trifecta). I did however find, among other things, a sterling silver mechanical pencil (Victorian-age from the looks of it), an 80% silver olive fork, three hand-carved sterling spoons, a pewter dish, some broken pieces of porcelain, glass, and even what looks like to be a piece of an old shoe. I will post all these finds and more later in one massive post once I'm sure I've unearthed everything.

Anyway, this post is about the crowning jewel of the finds so far - the Platinum fork. I dug it up shortly after finding the sterling mechanical pencil. When I first saw the platinum fork it was all black just like all the silver in that area. I rubbed the dirt off (I know, I'm still kicking myself for doing such a stupid thing) and it revealed a golden luster - I assumed it to be a gold plated fork of either silver or some other cheaper metal. Into the bag it went and the hunt continued. At the end of each day I would clean and photograph my finds. I noticed the "950" hallmark during this time a few days ago.

The "950" is stamped in an "upside-down shield". I first saw this mark when I examined the fork the day I found it. I assumed it to be a sterling mark for 95% silver. I checked online a few times but really I had pretty much concluded it just had to be a type of silver. Today I did some in depth research and discovered that there is absolutely no sterling mark that resembles this hallmark. I did further research of other precious metal hallmarks besides silver and was stunned - the mark was listed as one of 4 types of platinum hallmarks. According to my research this platinum hallmark represents the second highest purity of platinum - 95%!! There is a crown above the "950", a little symbol that looks like an "R" directly above the "950", and a little "M" to the right of the "950". On the right side of the fork it says "Made in France" and on the left side it says "Cartier". There is also what appears to be some kind of etched serial number, possibly "1040". The piece weights 30.9 grams - almost exactly one troy ounce making it worth just about $1,200 in melt value.

The unknown: How old is this piece? I've had trouble dating this piece as hallmark charts by Cartier don't appear online in detail.

One thing is for certain Cartier is not known for cranking out platinum cutlery. I have a feeling this may have been a custom made piece. If so it may be unimaginably rare and expensive. My feeling is that it is worth way over its melt value of $1.2K - perhaps its worth $5k+ who knows? I will have to get it professionally appraised. Until then the hunt continues!!! :D Arg! Now with all this new swag I feel like a true pirate! :skullflag: :blackbeard: :laughing7:

Edit: Okay, it's officially confirmed. What I initially thought was an "R" stamp is in fact a "PT" stamp, "PT" means Platinum! "PT 950 M" is a high-strength Platinum alloy. The M stands for the 5% other metal added with the Platinum most likely Ruthenium! I'm on cloud 9 right now! :D

Platinum stamp along with hallmark chart:
View attachment 1110934 View attachment 1110935

Cartier markings along the sides:
View attachment 1110932 View attachment 1110933

Fork on my scale, note 30.9 gram weight:
View attachment 1110931
thats a great find,how about the spoon?like to find the whole set

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been following this thread, it's been interesting, but also sort of bothersome. If someone posts something awesome, with the possibility of it being CRAZY awesome, this is the best place to post it and learn about it. I can see why some people were skeptical about the fork being platinum, but it went beyond that, making the finder feel that he needed to defend himself for some reason. Instead of the fork being questioned, the finder's integrity and honesty were being questioned. For what? I feel bad that UnderMiner was treated with disrespect.

I know what it's like to find something that has the possibility of being ultra rare. When I started detecting, I found a corroded 1936 Canadian penny. If you know anything about Canadian coins, the "1936 dot penny" would be worth piles of money, only three are known. I used my loupe and gawked at that penny forever, I swear I could see the remnant of the little "dot"! However, the fact that it would be SO rare convinced me that I was crazy, and get real, it's my eyes playing tricks on me. It's corroded, I guess I'll never know, but it's fun to think it could be the real deal.

My point is, it must be ok for people to post things like this without getting cut down and treated like an idiot. All signs pointed to the fork being platinum, we learned about it, UnderMiner had fun with the possibility of a platinum freaking fork! He had it checked, learned about the hallmark coincidence, and posted the results! So what's the problem?

People need to mellow out. Thanks for posting the results UnderMiner!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J Cache we are the original, oldest and largest treasure hunting forum in the world, just like any family your going to have disagreements, that is what the mods are for....

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what its not platinum, :dontknow: its still a very valuable piece of flatware!! :thumbsup: Like I said It could be silver plated and still be an outstanding find, Its Cartier !!:icon_scratch: 8-) Better than any flatware I've dug and better than most I've see posted here. :headbang: Its really outstanding and worth more than $40. :occasion14: You could post it in the flatware section, I'm sure someone could give you a more accurate appraisal. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
The north shore of Long Island is VERY exclusive. Most places are private and off limits. Most "public" places are posted stating "residents only". Police enforcement is mostly a private entity and are knuckleheads. Of course water hunting is different. If one can enter the water through public access you pretty much have all the shoreline below the high tide mark to yourself. I'm assuming these were water finds. But again, he could have gotten permission for all I know.
THOSE KNUCKLEHEADS ARE THE SAME ONES WHO SAVE OUR ASS'S ON 9/11!
THANKS VERY MUCH!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
I'm sorry moderators, but how quickly we forget how much we need these people (policemen and firemen) who don't sometimes shine in the light but pretty much always show up when we need them .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry moderators, but how quickly we forget how much we need these people (policemen and firemen) who don't sometimes shine in the light but pretty much always show up when we need them .
HCW, your statement isn't political so not an issue from mod stand point....

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THOSE KNUCKLEHEADS ARE THE SAME ONES WHO SAVE OUR ASS'S ON 9/11!
THANKS VERY MUCH!
Not sure what one has to do with the other but ok? Not sure what Sands Point, Port Washington, Great Neck cops had to do with 911:dontknow: Sorry if I offended you but they are knuckleheads. And by the way, my cousin, friend, and neighbor where all port authority, and all three died that day. Thanks

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
My father and brother were NYPD. My other brother was NYFD.
And no, they didn't die in on 9/11.
Your comment about cops being knuckleheads seemed to me to be a blanket statement.
Even if it were directed towards just those town's cops the way I figure it , until youv'e walked in their shoes I don't think you have the right to judge them.
Not a job I would want.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father and brother were NYPD. My other brother was NYFD.
And no, they didn't die in on 9/11.
Your comment about cops being knuckleheads seemed to me to be a blanket statement.
Even if it were directed towards just those town's cops the way I figure it , until youv'e walked in their shoes I don't think you have the right to judge them.
Not a job I would want.
Well sir you have you're opinion, I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please put thread back on topic and no more bashing of police please. We have quite a few members who are law enforcement officers or retired LEO.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the up date and it's still a very nice find that any of us would be more then ecstatic to find. And you were right about the Sh1t Storm.
Congrats on a great find.
ZDD

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone would have made that mistake with the hallmark the way it was.IMO Cartier made the big booboo.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool fork! All arguments can be settled with a simple search on Google. Here's a good example of your circa 1900 .950 Silver Cartier Fork.

French hallmarks are incredibly complicated, but I am almost certain this is a silversmith's obus or export mark and would be this shape like a little house. (The normal French silversmith mark is lozenge shaped).
Here's a picture of an obus export mark:
The number at the bottom is the silver purity (in this example 950/1000 or .950 which is typical for French export silver and the letters and device (the AD and the little bird in this example) are the initials and logo of the silversmith.

If you had a powerful enough magnifying glass you might be able read the initials on yours and I might be able to tell you who the silversmith was who made this for Cartier. It is only a curiosity, so will not increase or decrease the value of the piece, as we know that an item carrying the Cartier name is XXXXX XXXXX be top notch already.

The house shaped obus mark came into use from 1884 and most French export silver was marked "Made in France" after the 1891 McKinley Tariff Act in the USA required imported items to be marked with the country of origin.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/...ached-stand-marked-cartier.html#ixzz3QXGeBKnD

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks South Jersey.... We have known what this was in the first 10 responses... Its been a great thread... Lots of interest. Its a great find! Thanks UM for posting this! Sorry Its not Platinum as you thought... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread