Plucked my first seated! Possible counterfeit update??????????

M

michigan michael

Before I left for Gettysburg I decided to take a late night walk and hit the sidewalk that is ripped up and under construction. This has been a tough site with only a couple of Indian heads so far. Lots of junk, nails, siding, electrical, and plumbing. It is impossible to lock down signals. I was at the point of complete frustration with the only recovery being an old pistol musket ball when solid dime signal. I walked away cause it had to be a crew workers can that was crushed and buried. I stopped and decided I was going to dig it. I dug everything else I may as well pull this can out as well. :o :o :o :o
I could not believe my eyes. :o :o :o A coin with silver peeking through! As I walked to the street light I kept saying, " Please be a seated, please be a seated" I thought for sure it would be a barber which would be cool cause I have not dug one of those either. Standing under the street light I see the beautiful lady setting on her tail holding a shield. Whoo hoo. I ran all the way home!

I feel I still have a lot to learn as a MD er because there really should be a lot more under this side walk. I just cant find em. Oh well, maybe better luck tomorrow. Thanks for looking everyone. :wave:

Attachments

• seated.jpg
    seated.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,482
  • seated2.jpg
    seated2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Plucked my first seated!

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Here are a couple of pics after a water soaking bath.............. :dontknow:
I'm still saying it's a 1800's counterfeit an plated..... a soild silver coin wouldn't look like that

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Plucked my first seated!

MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
What makes a counterfeit more valuable? Wont coin dealer confiscate these?

Are coin dealers supposed to confiscate counterfeit coins? Even old, rare (and valuable) ones?

scrubber

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
answer to scrubber...No

memorial magnet, here is a scan of a clean 1886 dime. You have better eyes than I have. Reduce your scan and place it along side this one and compare the "6" in 1886. To me they appear completely different, although your's is now quite clear and raised. http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-3096.html

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Here they are................ I am not sure? :dontknow:

Attachments

• seated3.jpg
    seated3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,142
  • seated5clean.jpg
    seated5clean.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,106
  • seated3.jpg
    seated3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,140

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, :D

Sorry I agree with Drodda777, The coin has been under concreate or pavement for over 60-100 years. :icon_thumleft: If that's a counterfit it is a perfect one. It is on center and everything is in the right spot and it looks perfect. :icon_scratch: That is very unlikely to make such a perfect fake. ??? The coin is real 100%, it just has some strange toning from being under concreate. :headbang:

Nice seated !! ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! :D

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Lol, :D

Sorry I agree with Drodda777, The coin has been under concreate or pavement for over 60-100 years. :icon_thumleft: If that's a counterfit it is a perfect one. It is on center and everything is in the right spot and it looks perfect. :icon_scratch: That is very unlikely to make such a perfect fake. ??? The coin is real 100%, it just has some strange toning from being under concreate. :headbang:

Nice seated !! ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! :D
I disagree an have you looked at the links on this thread of confirmed counterfeit seated dimes?

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not convinced yet that this is positively a counterfeit, however if it is, it's plausable that it was based on a stolen or borrowed master die. If that was the case then it would be the date which was forged as naturally the rest would look proper. Although every letter of the coin itself is individually a perfect match, even taking the problem of corrosion into consideration and the filling of spaces within letters. That is not the case with the date however, which does not seem, at least from the scan, to be a match.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weigh it..........

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Weighing it might tell you something if it ends of weighing at least a little more than full .267 grms less than a 2.67 gram original (this is taking into consideration a specific gravity of silver 10.5 against that of copper 8.96 or less for alloy) . If the weight ends up being much less than a tenth of 2.67 grams (there's very little wear) you know it is a counterfeit. If however, the weight is near correct for the real coin you are still in the dark, as you don't know the thickness of what could be a fake planchet. You'd have to measure volume as well for that. It would be far far easier just to gently rub a suspect area of the rim with a light q-tip and see what changes.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

The only scale I have is a shipping scale. Capacity 50 lbs x 0.2 oz - 23 kg X 5g. It will not acknowledge its even on the scale. :-\ As far as the q tip, I already gave it a water bath and probably rubbed it a little more than I should of with the towel. :dontknow:
THX - HH
MM

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3
This is exciting......a quick trip to any jewelry shop would give you a confirmed weight. Breezing through the website on counterfeit dimes didn't show an 1886 example as far as I could see.
If anyone would like to open some side betting (for entertainment purposes only....ah hummmm) let me know....hell its only money..."grin". ;D

TiredIron

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes ground minerals can do a real number on silver. I have a former lake bed that produces a lot of Barbers, and many of them look like yours.

In my opinion, the cost of producing counterfeit low denomination coinage would make it unlikely. There have been cases where it has been done, but mostly by collectors altering mint marks (such as the 1916 Mercury Dime).

One exception is the famous "Henning" nickel. It is estimated that nearly 100,000 of these coins made it into circulation before the Secret Service could act.

Here is a link that may provide more info. There is even a counterfeit coin forum: http://www.numismaticenquirer.com/TNE/Home.html

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neil, we've already posted a web site devoted to these contemporary seated liberty counterfeits. Check it out. They were made to spend, niot to collect.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know very little about US coinage :dontknow: but what I will say it looks very much counterfeit, I have a William111 shilling almost the same :read2:

But one very easy way to tell if it's Silver or not, is to apply a little bleach to the coin :read2: it should go Black in that area, if it doesn't you can remove the bleach, it won't do any damage.

SS.

Attachments

• william111 003.JPG
    william111 003.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,011

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Hey Johnnyi, I'm no expert, just trying to learn more. I checked out that site about the fake seated. It seems like those examples are really crude and can tell just by looking at them they are fake. Memorial Magnet's dime seems to look exactly the same as a known real seated side by side. The only thing that comes into question is the coloring and I have seen silver come out from under torn up sidewalks and paved parking lots that looks alot like the dime MM found. Lime will do a number to silver. Oh, by the way MM, congrats on a great find and first.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug silver coins and sterling silver eating utensils that were black or partially black that cleaned right up.

I say the coin is real.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
thrillathahunt said:
I have dug silver coins and sterling silver eating utensils that were black or partially black that cleaned right up.

I say the coin is real.

:icon_thumright:

Johnny VI, my point is that if the coin was intended for commerce, it would need to be profitable for the manufacturer. If it cost 11 cents to make a dime, than it obviously would be a losing venture. The cost of the eqyuipment and dies would be very high!

Another point is that all of the 19th century counterfiets are crudely manufactured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread