Plucked my first seated! Possible counterfeit update??????????

M

michigan michael

Before I left for Gettysburg I decided to take a late night walk and hit the sidewalk that is ripped up and under construction. This has been a tough site with only a couple of Indian heads so far. Lots of junk, nails, siding, electrical, and plumbing. It is impossible to lock down signals. I was at the point of complete frustration with the only recovery being an old pistol musket ball when solid dime signal. I walked away cause it had to be a crew workers can that was crushed and buried. I stopped and decided I was going to dig it. I dug everything else I may as well pull this can out as well. :o :o :o :o
I could not believe my eyes. :o :o :o A coin with silver peeking through! As I walked to the street light I kept saying, " Please be a seated, please be a seated" I thought for sure it would be a barber which would be cool cause I have not dug one of those either. Standing under the street light I see the beautiful lady setting on her tail holding a shield. Whoo hoo. I ran all the way home!

I feel I still have a lot to learn as a MD er because there really should be a lot more under this side walk. I just cant find em. Oh well, maybe better luck tomorrow. Thanks for looking everyone. :wave:

Attachments

• seated.jpg
    seated.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,482
  • seated2.jpg
    seated2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Hello everyone!
I promised Jonnyi an updated pic of the seated dime but, still have not got my camera back yet. I did pay a visit to my #1 coin dealer today and asked him to inspect it for me. He said it was authentic. He checked it all out and said it was real. :-\ oh well it still a good thing. I still dug my first seated coin. Whoo hoo. Thanks for all the replies on this topic. I was kind or torn on both sides, hoping it was a fake at one point and real the next. :D Its been fun! :icon_thumleft:

HH~ MM

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Here are the final pics of the seated dime. Thanks all.

Attachments

• sideseat.jpg
    sideseat.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 405
  • seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 390
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 391

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I am saying it is real and congrats on your first seated coin! :icon_thumleft:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Here are the final pics of the seated dime. Thanks all.
coin doesn't look right to me... think you should consult a expert on 1800's counterfeit dimes.. just to see what they have to say... I would never believe a coin dealer as most will tell you what will benifit them the most not you the unawarey

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to weigh go to post office they got scales you can wiegh it on -- if its silver it should weigh within 10% of minted weight :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Memorial magnet, thanks for posting the scan. I have to confess that after hearing it was cleaned I was expecting something else. As I relayed to you privately, please provide clear scans of the denticles (the little bumps that surround the inside of the rim). "The denticles are difficult to add to counterfeit dies and usually look abnormal when copied to a normal mint product." They are almost invisible in your photographs.

As I said earlier, it may very well be real, but none the less it is an unusual phenomenon when virtually every high spot, including the high points of the reeding, show signs of discoloration and pitting, while every low unworn area shows no discoloration or pitting what so ever. You've got an opportunity now to have a professional in this specific field take look at it. Considering its potential value in the off chance it might be counterfeit, I agree with creeper, that seems the logical thing to do.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
memorial magnet, just now got confirmation in the email. The denticles are right and your coin is a genuine seated liberty. Your coin guy is on the ball. congratulations!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
johnnyi said:
memorial magnet, just now got confirmation in the email. The denticles are right and your coin is a genuine seated liberty. Your coin guy is on the ball. congratulations!
Sure fooled me an a few others.... Congrats on your first seated!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread