Plucked my first seated! Possible counterfeit update??????????

M

michigan michael

Before I left for Gettysburg I decided to take a late night walk and hit the sidewalk that is ripped up and under construction. This has been a tough site with only a couple of Indian heads so far. Lots of junk, nails, siding, electrical, and plumbing. It is impossible to lock down signals. I was at the point of complete frustration with the only recovery being an old pistol musket ball when solid dime signal. I walked away cause it had to be a crew workers can that was crushed and buried. I stopped and decided I was going to dig it. I dug everything else I may as well pull this can out as well. :o :o :o :o
I could not believe my eyes. :o :o :o A coin with silver peeking through! As I walked to the street light I kept saying, " Please be a seated, please be a seated" I thought for sure it would be a barber which would be cool cause I have not dug one of those either. Standing under the street light I see the beautiful lady setting on her tail holding a shield. Whoo hoo. I ran all the way home!

I feel I still have a lot to learn as a MD er because there really should be a lot more under this side walk. I just cant find em. Oh well, maybe better luck tomorrow. Thanks for looking everyone. :wave:

Attachments

• seated.jpg
    seated.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,482
  • seated2.jpg
    seated2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Upvote 0

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Tesoro Tiger Shark
Re: Plucked my first seated!

Congratulations on your first seated coin (I'm still looking for my first). Keep hitting that area hard, there is bound to be more goodies waiting for you. HH.- Garbageman

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find memorial magnet. Is the color in the scan accurate? I'm just wondering, because there are some very rare counterfeits of the seated which span its whole lifetime, and in the scan it looks like plated metal. Is this just an illusion of the scan?

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

MM Great find. I got my first seated dime last year . i was happy when i found it .
But i dont think i gave it true respect at the time and still looking for # 2 HH Mike

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

johnnyi said:
Great find memorial magnet. Is the color in the scan accurate? I'm just wondering, because there are some very rare counterfeits of the seated which span its whole lifetime, and in the scan it looks like plated metal. Is this just an illusion of the scan?

You might be right. Still a great find either way.
Newt

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

johnnyi said:
I'm fairly certain this is a counterfeit.. I don't however think it's a modern china counterfeit....

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

creeper, no it is definately not a recent one, if in fact it is a counterfeit. Brian Greer does not have an example recorded of this particular date (1886?) which may mean it is that much more rare.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

johnnyi said:
creeper, no it is definitely not a recent one, if in fact it is a counterfeit. Brian Greer does not have an example recorded of this particular date (1886?) which may mean it is that much more rare.
I hope for the finders sake that it is a unique counterfeit an holds alot of value...

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: wtg sweet find

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

I've dug a handfull of seated coins and I'll have to agree that this one sure looks plated.
Unless there just a layer of grime on it. 8)
If it is a counterfeit, that would be awesome.

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I say counterfit, dug this in a civil war camp. Sorry pics are blurry
Awesome find!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 100_2037.jpg
    100_2037.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 100_2038.jpg
    100_2038.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 100_2037.jpg
    100_2037.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 100_2038.jpg
    100_2038.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 100_2037.jpg
    100_2037.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • 100_2038.jpg
    100_2038.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,334

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX

Man you guys are terrible! The guy finds his first seated and all of you are calling it counterfiet.

Have you ever dug a coin from under concrete?

All the silver coins from under concrete come out looking exactly like this one pictured. The lime in the concrete turns the coin black and gives it a crust that looks like it's not silver. The picture shows this clearly and it can be cleaned up to look silver again with some work.

Great find and thanks for posting! :thumbsup: I bet the indians looked rough also as all the ones I have found from under sidewalks are coated with a crust also.

HH,

Dave

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You may very well be right drodda, which is why I specifically said "may be" a counterfeit. It may be that what the scan shows may not be what magnet sees first hand and we won't know until he tells us. Nevertheless, the scan shows darkening (not necesarily blackening) on every relief area of the coin, and and absense of darkening on all areas which are not worn. This is consistent with plating. If it was possibly a counterfeit that is not a put down, but would make this much more interesting and rarer than the actual coin would be.

Hopefully memorial magnet will get back with a clearer scan, but until he does, compare the date of memorial's dime to the date on this dime in this link ...(rduce both and place side to side) http://cgi.ebay.com/1886-Seated-Dim...temQQimsxZ20090803?IMSfp=TL090803213005r20017 particularly the apparent size (width) of the "1" in the date. If memorial's scan is bad that would explain the difference. Widening due to wear would not explain it, in that memorial's coin shows almost no wear. Corrosion might explain it, except for the fact that no other letters or devices seem larger due to corrosion on his coin. Memorial, you need to check in here again.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Drodda777 said:
Man you guys are terrible! The guy finds his first seated and all of you are calling it counterfiet.

All the silver coins from under concrete come out looking exactly like this one pictured. The lime in the concrete turns the coin black and gives it a crust that looks like it's not silver. The picture shows this clearly and it can be cleaned up to look silver again with some work.

Great find and thanks for posting! :thumbsup: I bet the indians looked rough also as all the ones I have found from under sidewalks are coated with a crust also.

HH,

Dave
A 1800's counterfeit isn't a bad thing..infact it probly holds a lot higher value then the orginal coin.. a silver coin in my opinion wouldn't look like there is flaking on it...an be that discolored.. silver turns a dark black not brown color..

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
Drodda777 said:

HH,

Dave
A 1800's counterfeit isn't a bad thing..infact it probly holds a lot higher value then the orginal coin.. a silver coin in my opinion wouldn't look like there is flaking on it...an be that discolored.. silver turns a dark black not brown color..
Hey, creeper 71. Can you tell me if my counterfeit 1 dollar is worth anything? I have heard that the counterfeit ones are worth some money.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Hi all.... I was reading the posts and was like awe man, My first seated and its a fake? :-\ What makes a counterfeit more valuable? Wont coin dealer confiscate these? The pic is from my Sony macro lens , so what you see is what you get. It has not been cleaned though. This is a thumb wipe and that is it. I have it in water now so I will re-post later today and see if there is a difference in appearance or opinions. Strange but, Now I am kind of hoping it is a fake. :icon_scratch: lol :dontknow: Thanks all
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread